VR 9 SE mk II arrives in Europe, Debut at Studio Alkmaar

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: VR 9 SE mk II arrives in Europe, Debut at Studio Alkmaar
« Reply #20 on: 15 Mar 2012, 03:34 pm »
Just polking a little fun.. :lol:

htradtk

« Reply #21 on: 15 Mar 2012, 07:18 pm »
All,

I've noticed on all speaker setups, especially at trade shows, the speakers are not toed-in. Even in Jack's set-up of his VR9 Mk II's, they are straight out. Here's my dumb question: Is there a significant difference in imaging with or without the speakers toed-in? I sit about 12 feet back from my VR5 Anni's, they are toed in about 15 degrees toward my listening position and sound great. Since the width of my room is 12 feet, the speakers are 8 feet apart with about 2 feet from the side walls. Let me know your thoughts.

Henry

JackD201

« Reply #22 on: 15 Mar 2012, 08:05 pm »
Hi Henry,

Our VRs have very good off axis response so toeing in (much) isn't really needed to get a solid center image. Personally, I employ very little toe in because doing so sounds more spacious. It's a direct vs reflected ratio thing. Since my reflection points are well treated, I can get away with a more forward firing arrangement. In fact I use toe in not for the highs and mids as is the practice for ordinary loudspeakers that fall off sharply off axis in these bands. I think toe in has become more of a habit these days. Typically we go for what looks right but not necessarily what potentially might be better. Actually I employ toe in more to manipulate lower mids/ upper bass to better deal with floor reflections than anything else.

I do think it is more of a preference thing. My Dad who has Annies, likes them toed in a bit more. Either way I don't think there is a right or wrong way to set up VRs with regards to toe-in, only what's best for a specific situation. What I can say is that speakers that can do well firing straight away or aimed squarely at our ears are very few and far between. The VR's unique radiation pattern allows for so many set up options to suit our tastes. I always encourage VR owners to get to know their speakers and not be afraid to move their speakers around. Doing so can change the presentation greatly AND it's free!  :thumb:

htradtk

« Reply #23 on: 16 Mar 2012, 10:55 pm »
Jack,

Thanks for the explaination. My speakers have not moved since they were delivered and set up over two years ago when I first purchased them. Maybe if I can get a couple of strong gentlemen over one day, we can experment with positioning. Let me just say that my recent purchase of the VSA Masterbuilts are really coming into their own. It's like having a new set of speakers! I'm hearing more depth in my soundstage and greater detail in instrumitation! What a great cable.  :thumb:

Henry

Jaco Pastorius

• On a sinkin ship,women and rythm section first!
« Reply #24 on: 19 Mar 2012, 05:08 pm »
Hello Rune,

There probably will be a video within a few days.

Cor

I am looking forward to that Cor :)

Rune

JackD201

« Reply #25 on: 19 Mar 2012, 08:08 pm »
Vid-dee-yo, Vid-dee-yo!

Come on Cor!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #26 on: 22 Mar 2012, 04:26 pm »
OK Guys,

here we go, a combination of two primeurs in Europe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfnI7bVmF7o&feature=youtu.be

Enjoy the music.

Cor

Jaco Pastorius

• On a sinkin ship,women and rythm section first!
« Reply #27 on: 22 Mar 2012, 05:49 pm »
Woww!! Thanks a lot for that video Cor!!  :) 

I would love to see a video when you just put the camera in the listening position and playing a couple of tracks through the VR9s ! ,please ?  :bowdown:   

Just from that clip I could sense the scale and ease of the VR9s,amazing! Was it live or was it VR9 !  :thumb: :bowdown: 

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #28 on: 22 Mar 2012, 08:50 pm »
Hey Rune,

The music you hear in the video is 'live' from the VR 9 SE mk II & the VR 44 active.

The first 0.48 minute is from a static position about 5 meter from the system.
The rest of the video is with the moving of the camera.

Cor