Bad weather: unplug or power off at circuit breaker?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Bad weather: unplug or power off at circuit breaker?
« Reply #40 on: 3 Mar 2012, 10:33 pm »
Oh, yeah?

What were the girls wearing? :icon_twisted: :lol:

trebejo

« Reply #41 on: 3 Mar 2012, 11:23 pm »
Oh, yeah?

What were the girls wearing? :icon_twisted: :lol:

Oh, a little of this, a little of that...  :o

geezer

« Reply #42 on: 4 Mar 2012, 12:51 am »

the theory behind lightning protection system function is to dissipate electrical charge before such a massive charge builds up that it strikes at random.  Storm clouds are positively charged and the earth-ground system is negative.  The lightning rod is thus intended to 'leech' energy from the air at a far more controlled rate than a random full-force strike would bring.

Ground your antenna.

You're right.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #43 on: 5 Mar 2012, 01:43 pm »
I just bought a 8 outlet tripp-lite and just found out I can't use it. Supposedly you need to plug it into and outlet that has a minimum of 30ft of wire to the panel. WTF?

Doc
Well I called Tripp-Lite this morning. I was told not to worry about it. I'll be fine. So why the hell did they put the warning on the back of the device? Lawyer proofing, I'm guessing.

Doc

mhconley

« Reply #44 on: 5 Mar 2012, 02:23 pm »
Regarding how to handle huge thunderstorms and hurricanes and tornadoes and snowstorms, let me just add...

Greetings from sunny Southern California.  :wave:

The wife and I lived in the San Fernando valley during the 1994 Northridge earthquake in which we lost our apartment when it was condemned.  Luckily they gave us a morning to get out what we could.

We have since moved to even sunnier Southwest Florida.  I prefer disasters with warning to those without.  :thumb:

I have Panamax MOV devices on all my equipment.  With the frequent surges / brown outs we have here I have been looking at Zero Surge type devices.  We also have a whole home surge protector provided by the power company.

I unplug the Panamax during thunderstorms.

Martin

rodge827

« Reply #45 on: 5 Mar 2012, 06:30 pm »
Unplug!

I still unplug even with an Environmental Potentials 2050 on my panel and a 2450 on my equipment. Sometimes I don't have the time to run to the basement and yank out the cords. But with the EP 2050 there is never a blip on the TV screen with a close lightning strike. I've had both of these units on my system and living room HT for the last 3 years. I live in S. Jersey and we get some way awesome lightning storms in the summer and even a couple during this mild winter :scratch:.

Rodge

guest1632

« Reply #46 on: 6 Mar 2012, 04:20 pm »
Regarding how to handle huge thunderstorms and hurricanes and tornadoes and snowstorms, let me just add...

Greetings from sunny Southern California.  :wave:
lol, that's mean.

Ray Bronk

guest1632

« Reply #47 on: 6 Mar 2012, 04:22 pm »
Mudslides, brush fires, high winds, outrageous cost of living, miserable traffic, earthquakes and stifling regulations?

Nah, I think I'll stay in Tornado Alley, thanks!   :lol: :thumb:

Depends where you live in So Cal.

Ray Bronk

guest1632

« Reply #48 on: 6 Mar 2012, 04:27 pm »
Well, at least I can count on the ground not shaking. :lol:

Doc

Earthquakes, overrated. Unless they are a five or above, it's not that big of a deal. But this is now oofftopic.

werd

« Reply #49 on: 6 Mar 2012, 04:35 pm »
Unplug all your gear from the wall. Especially if your system is on a higher floor in your house.  Or shelved up high. You don't want a lightning surge looking for ground as it hops through all your gear.

I always unplug everything including my Torus since i don't want that taking a hit either. Even though one of its purposes is surge protection.

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #50 on: 6 Mar 2012, 08:34 pm »
Grounding that lightning rod seems to be the standard practice.

But what do I know, with the weather today I've been too busy watching the miniskirts and short shorts stroll by. :eyebrows:

WHAT!?!  No pics?