Bad weather: unplug or power off at circuit breaker?

modular747

Re: Bad weather: unplug or power off at circuit breaker?
« Reply #20 on: 3 Mar 2012, 06:25 pm »
The main problem with MOV types is that once they "take the hit", they're done, and don't protect on future hits.  The clamping voltage can be above the safe limit for some equipment.

Need history? My old company, HTI, used hundreds, if not thousands of these very units to protect sensitive equipment in machines that cost millions of dollars. No losses from use that I know of.

That's "history" only if you can document actual surges that were protected.  Most locations never have damaging surges.

Wayner

« Reply #21 on: 3 Mar 2012, 06:30 pm »
There are indicator lights on the front panel that indicate operation condition. Red light on, fault condition exists. That is why these are nice, relatively inexpensive units to recommend.

Wayner

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #22 on: 3 Mar 2012, 06:35 pm »
What's an "MOV" type?

modular747

« Reply #23 on: 3 Mar 2012, 06:37 pm »
The indicator lights are not reliable and may not be noticed if the surge protector is out of view and not checked regularly.  They also don't help with rapidly repetitive surges which are not all that infrequent.

Wayner

« Reply #25 on: 3 Mar 2012, 06:44 pm »
Modular 747, maybe you should go somewhere else and start your own thread on your favorite surge protector.

Thunderbrick, an MOV is an acronym for a Metal Oxide Varistor. It's a semiconductor, and the device can divert voltage surges above a designed perimeter to protect the downstream device. It is designed to take a few hits, but with a large surge (or indirect lighting strike) with get wiped out.

The good news is that the MOV gave its life for the rest of your system.

Wayner

modular747

« Reply #26 on: 3 Mar 2012, 06:51 pm »
Modular 747, maybe you should go somewhere else and start your own thread on your favorite surge protector.

Wayner

WOW!!  Wayner, maybe you should start your own forum where you don't have to put up with anyone who doesn't agree with everything you say, no matter how uninformed.  Time to check that fragile ego.

Wayner

« Reply #27 on: 3 Mar 2012, 07:04 pm »
You've had 5 posts on why your surge protector is the one to use. Point taken. But I don't recommend anything to anyone that I haven't used. I don't know how they work, what they cost and why it's better then the one already suggested.

Wayner

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #28 on: 3 Mar 2012, 07:14 pm »
WOW!!  Wayner, maybe you should start your own forum where you don't have to put up with anyone who doesn't agree with everything you say, no matter how uninformed.  Time to check that fragile ego.

Better not pull on Superman's Cape, or mess around with Jim (Wayner).  He can be a bit prickly at times, but he makes a damned good argument about stuff. 

Even if he DOES prefer DD tables.................... :lol: :thumb:

modular747

« Reply #29 on: 3 Mar 2012, 07:21 pm »
Even if he DOES prefer DD tables.................... :lol: :thumb:

I agree with him 100% on that!

wilsynet

« Reply #30 on: 3 Mar 2012, 07:30 pm »
By my count, Wayner has posted 3 times regarding his recommended device and Modular747 has posted once regarding his favorite device with the rest of his posts related to active dialogue and exchange of information in response to Wayner.

Wayner, if you didn't want Modular747 to respond, maybe you shouldn't have disagreed with him.  Otherwise, are you saying you're the only one who can recommend or offer an opinion?  I'd be surprised if only AVA affiliated opinions were welcome here -- would be a blog rather than a forum then.

modular747

« Reply #31 on: 3 Mar 2012, 07:36 pm »
You've had 5 posts on why your surge protector is the one to use. Point taken. But I don't recommend anything to anyone that I haven't used. I don't know how they work, what they cost and why it's better then the one already suggested.

Wayner

Actually, the "one to use" is the one that meets your needs.  Most audio equipment are not particularly sensitive to typical power surges (unlike computers) and most locations rarely if ever get damaging surges.  As already said, nothing is reliable against a direct lightning strike.

MOVs are cheap and widely available and will do the job if carefully observed and replaced when needed.  However, each small surge degrades their effectiveness against subsequent strikes, even when the hit indicator isn't lit.  If you're in an area with frequent surges, and have sensitive equipment, they are not the way to go.

In my case, I had 3 desktop computers, all connected to separate APS with built in MOV protection and one also had a surge protector similar to (not the same brand) the one in my link ahead of the APS.  A nearby lighting strike fried the 2 APS units plugged in directly as well as a HD on one of the computers.  The APS-computer protected by the clamping device remained unscathed, as did the device itself.  This doesn't "prove" anything as surges aren't always evenly distributed, but I feel better with non-MOV protection.

Doublej

« Reply #32 on: 3 Mar 2012, 07:49 pm »
I just bought a 8 outlet tripp-lite and just found out I can't use it. Supposedly you need to plug it into and outlet that has a minimum of 30ft of wire to the panel. WTF?

Doc

Doc

How did you concluded this? The manual I found online does not appear to say anything about a minimum distance to the panel.

Doublej

« Reply #33 on: 3 Mar 2012, 07:50 pm »
dupe deleted.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #34 on: 3 Mar 2012, 08:30 pm »
Doc

How did you concluded this? The manual I found online does not appear to say anything about a minimum distance to the panel.
It's written on the back of the device under WARNINGS.

Doc.

trebejo

« Reply #35 on: 3 Mar 2012, 09:55 pm »
Regarding how to handle huge thunderstorms and hurricanes and tornadoes and snowstorms, let me just add...

Greetings from sunny Southern California.  :wave:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #36 on: 3 Mar 2012, 09:59 pm »
Mudslides, brush fires, high winds, outrageous cost of living, miserable traffic, earthquakes and stifling regulations?

Nah, I think I'll stay in Tornado Alley, thanks!   :lol: :thumb:

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #37 on: 3 Mar 2012, 10:00 pm »
Regarding how to handle huge thunderstorms and hurricanes and tornadoes and snowstorms, let me just add...

Greetings from sunny Southern California.  :wave:
Well, at least I can count on the ground not shaking. :lol:

Doc

weitrhino

« Reply #38 on: 3 Mar 2012, 10:02 pm »
And another thing.....If you have a nearby antenna, if grounded, may act as a lighting rod. I know the National Electric Code suggests that the antenna be grounded, but I've lived in an old farm house with lighting rods that always got hit by lighting. My theory is why invite the bad dogs over to your house.....

:o

The fact is an existing antenna, grounded or otherwise, typically presents as a preferential termination for a lightning strike.  Without a preferential termination point, such as a purpose constructed lightning protection system containing a lightning rod, then any prevailing structure could be randomly preferential, including an antenna.  The problem here is the 'random' part.  The intent of grounding an antenna, because it appears so preferential, is to best conduct directly to earth-ground.  This is an attempt to remove 'random,' in this case meaning the random pathway lightning energy will take seeking earth-ground.

The point to a purpose constructed lightning protection system, of which one component is a lightning rod, is to attempt to become THE preferential termination for a lightning strike, and conduct directly to earth-ground.  Probably the most widely held theory behind lightning protection system function is to dissipate electrical charge before such a massive charge builds up that it strikes at random.  Storm clouds are positively charged and the earth-ground system is negative.  The lightning rod is thus intended to 'leech' energy from the air at a far more controlled rate than a random full-force strike would bring.

Ground your antenna.

trebejo

« Reply #39 on: 3 Mar 2012, 10:29 pm »
Grounding that lightning rod seems to be the standard practice.

But what do I know, with the weather today I've been too busy watching the miniskirts and short shorts stroll by. :eyebrows: