I just heard a power conditioner in my setup for the first time...WOW!

TJHUB

I've been working with a fellow AC member on a DIY power supply for my Touch.  We have two designs, of which one uses a Bybee Music Rail.  Today we were comparing the supplies and finalizing our thoughts when he mentioned that we need to try his power conditioner in my setup.

The conditioner is a PS Audio Quintet Power Center.  We plugged my preamp, DAC, and power supply for the Touch into the conditioner.  I was shocked at what i heard.  Far too much changed to try to explain it all.  Needless to say, I really want/need a power conditioner!

I did some searching for the same model, but it is discontinued and there don't appear to be any used ones out there.  I have never considered a power conditioner before, and I have no idea what I'm looking for, or which ones work better than others.  All I know is that I have no money for one.  Is there unit that might work well for not too much money?  I can always upgrade in the future when funds allow.  All I know for sure is that I need something.  I had no idea what I was missing!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

Rclark

Skeptical about conditioners. With new ac powered amps I'm gonna go the balanced isolation transformer route and call it a day.

TJHUB

Skeptical about conditioners. With new ac powered amps I'm gonna go the balanced isolation transformer route and call it a day.

You're speaking Chinese to me now...  I don't know anything about this stuff, and I likely never would have looked into it except for what my "friend" did to me today.  The difference in sound was very significant for me, and very much for the better.  All I know is I'd like to have a conditioner of my own.

jriggy

BPT maybe?

Rclark

Good thing it's working for you! But you'll get half the people saying brand x conditioner is great and the other half saying brand x ruined the party. Bpt's make sense to me, and it's what people here I respect use.

roscoeiii

But have you actually tried some of them in your system? Skeptical on what basis. Yes there are some audio fools out there, but this wouldn't be such an established segment of the market if they didn't work well for some folks.

What power conditioners work well or whether there is much improvement will depend on both your system and the quality of the power coming into your house. IME.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Felix is a DIY power conditioner. 

Try searching on AC and you will find the schematic.  They are easy to build.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Good thing it's working for you! But you'll get half the people saying brand x conditioner is great and the other half saying brand x ruined the party. Bpt's make sense to me, and it's what people here I respect use.

I can think of a couple of brands that seem to get pretty consistent props from people who aren't just down on the whole conditioner concept for whatever reason...

D.D.

John Casler

You're speaking Chinese to me now...  I don't know anything about this stuff, and I likely never would have looked into it except for what my "friend" did to me today.  The difference in sound was very significant for me, and very much for the better.  All I know is I'd like to have a conditioner of my own.

Keep in mind all "Power Conditioners" are not the same.

You generally have these types of conditioning functions:

Balanced Conditioning = Using a large transformer and running current in opposing directions to negate (balance) any issues

Filtration = various filtration devises to "filter" out sonic impurities

Current Regulation/Stabilization = monitors current and maintains a stable level

Magic Beads and materials = some special (claimed) type of substance or substances that make the power more sonically pure. (again claimed)

There are likely other devices and some also combine the above devices.

So in looking for a Power Conditioner it is good to either listen and know which one works for you (as you did) and or know which type of Power Conditioning you might benefit from the most.

Danberg

Keep in mind all "Power Conditioners" are not the same.

You generally have these types of conditioning functions:

Balanced Conditioning = Using a large transformer and running current in opposing directions to negate (balance) any issues

Filtration = various filtration devises to "filter" out sonic impurities

Current Regulation/Stabilization = monitors current and maintains a stable level

Magic Beads and materials = some special (claimed) type of substance or substances that make the power more sonically pure. (again claimed)

There are likely other devices and some also combine the above devices.

So in looking for a Power Conditioner it is good to either listen and know which one works for you (as you did) and or know which type of Power Conditioning you might benefit from the most.

The conditioner is a PS Audio Quintet Power Center

John Casler offers very good advice.

Check with the manufacturer ( PS Audio) & find out what type of filtration it does.  Then base your research on a power conditioner to compliment what you found out.

genjamon

I went for this deal this summer:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=94624.0

I found I like the power conditioning on my DAC and Mac Mini, but I'm not as much a fan on the preamp and amp.  It does help with instrument separation and such on amp and preamp, but it chokes the dynamics a bit.  I prefer to have the dynamics over ultimate resolution.  I've been wanting to try a Pi Audio Uberbuss for a while, but that's more than I have been able to invest in clean power.  People really love them, though.  But then I'm running low enough power that I've strongly considering going all battery to just get past all the power conditioning mess.

Rclark

roscoeiii

What are we supposed to see?

Rclark

that conditioners are a mixed bag. Would you wanna try one after reading that?

Diamond Dog

see?

See what happens when you buy a power conditioner which isn't geared to what you're trying to accomplish.
+1 that John Casler offers very good advice in his post.

D.D.

rbbert

John forgot to mention that in addition to some filtration, the PS Audio units are power regenerators, i.e. they are like power amplifiers only not for audio signals but rather for AC electricity.

roscoeiii

that conditioners are a mixed bag. Would you wanna try one after reading that?

Well, IME I'd consider the APC units high quality surge protectors that can regulate voltage. On the lower end of the power conditioner spectrum, so you'd expect less. And there were improvements for sources. For greater improvements in sound, check Shunyata, Running Springs or PI Audio. All of those made a solid improvement in my system.

And as I said above, different units will differ in ways that are system and power quality dependent.

It is also commonly recommended to not put amps into conditioners due to dynamics being impacted. I recommend trying both ways
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2012, 12:49 am by roscoeiii »

Diamond Dog

Well, IME I'd consider the APC units high quality surge protectors that can regulate voltage. Not a huge improvement for me either. For improvements in sound, check Shunyata, Running Springs or PI Audio. All of those made a solid improvement in my system.

And as I said above, different units will differ in ways that are system and power quality dependent.

It is also commonly recommended to not put amps into conditioners due to dynamics being impacted. I recommend trying both ways

There are units which will cope with amps being plugged into them and not choke them when they come knocking on the door looking for some quick juice. Again, you need to get a unit that's right for the purpose you have in mind. Otherwise, prepare to be disappointed.

D.D.