Identification of speakers

Chano

Identification of speakers
« on: 2 Mar 2012, 08:30 am »
Hi, I own a pair of Vortex Screens from the eigthies. Could you have a look at the speakers used ? Can You identify the brand or maybe the model ? The 8" woofer says "quality speakers made in Denmark", the 8" subwoofer ( heavier, bigger central cone) is model WP820 serial 1098712. I found that Deltasonik made such a model at that time. How do you rate the quality of the hardware, could I replace some components ? Thanks a lot ! kryptonmond3(at)gmx.net

Æ

Re: Identification of speakers
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2012, 08:46 am »
I can think of two companies from Denmark. Dynaudio and Vifa.

Chano

Subwoofer probably from Vifa
« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2012, 03:16 pm »
Tympany replied that the subwoofer may be from the P17WJ or P17WH series, or a client-modification of a P17. Which modern subwoofer would come closest to this one ?

Æ

Re: Subwoofer probably from Vifa
« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2012, 07:40 pm »
Tympany replied that the subwoofer may be from the P17WJ or P17WH series, or a client-modification of a P17. Which modern subwoofer would come closest to this one ?

You (not me) will have to dig up old specs for either a P17WJ or P17 WH and then compare them to newer drivers, newer specs. Vifa (Tymphany) makes several 17cm sized woofers and midbass drivers. Look for the Vifa catalog or go to Madisound and/or PartsExpress and look at their selection of Vifa woofers. You'd probably be better off skipping this project entirely and starting from scratch, but that is only my opinion.
If the original woofer voice coils are still good and only the surrounds have rotted, you can always have the surrounds replaced with new surrounds. Send them out to a reconer, for repair, service.
You might want to try posting your inquiry over at the PartExpress Tech Talk Forum. There are a lot of experienced, older Vifa users over there.

Indiansprings

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2012, 08:02 pm »
Retract statement.  :?
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2012, 06:19 pm by Indiansprings »

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2012, 05:30 am »
Those are the original VR-4 speakers, called the Vortex Screens, which I designed at Cal Tech in the 1970's. The tweeter is the Dynaudio D21, which cannot be purchased as a spare part, but you can pull out the dome with a vacuum cleaner hose.  The mids are Kevlar, made by Davis of France, earlier than B & W's use of Kevlar.
The upper woofer is a Vifa model no longer made, but can be repaired with a surround repair kit from Parts Express.com.  The lower woofer was made for me by Becker, which is out of business.  That woofer can be replaced with another 8" woofer with 8-ohm impedance, Fs of 30Hz (or close) and Qts of approx. 0.4

JackD201

« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar 2012, 11:16 am »
Kinda funny having Albert's AC status as "Jr. Member"  :lol:

Sorry Albert, I couldn't resist  :lol:

My regards to Linda and Damon.

I'm sure the OP will be very glad that you answered his questions yourself. Cool :)