Odd problem

SHV

Odd problem
« on: 2 Mar 2012, 01:53 am »
This PM I was going to transfer some files to the BDP-1 HDD.  Went to BDP-1 in finder but no HD listed only a "Sandisk".  I removed the Sanisk, rebooted evertyhing and the Sandisk still shows up in Finder but still no HDD.  Logged onto the BDP-1 with my wife's laptop, same situation.  The HDD show up with Bryston BDP "settings" and with MPad....system functions normally.   

What am I doing wrong?

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Odd problem
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2012, 02:55 am »
This PM I was going to transfer some files to the BDP-1 HDD.  Went to BDP-1 in finder but no HD listed only a "Sandisk".  I removed the Sanisk, rebooted evertyhing and the Sandisk still shows up in Finder but still no HDD.  Logged onto the BDP-1 with my wife's laptop, same situation.  The HDD show up with Bryston BDP "settings" and with MPad....system functions normally.   

What am I doing wrong?

Steve

Maybe try powering down the router and then up again.

James

skunark

« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2012, 07:06 am »
Is the drive formatted as "MS-DOS (FAT)"?   (not exFAT)

Make sure that you are using the bryston/bryston instead of the root/bryston username/password.

Jim

SHV

« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2012, 03:27 pm »
Rebooted router,etc. Drives were formatted at MS-DOS, drives show up in Bryston "settings" "vfat", everything shows "connected"..Bryston software, MPad, MPod except "Finder" shared disks....bryston-bdp-1.."not connected" logged in on all software as bryston-bryston.

It's quite odd

Steve

BrysTony

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2012, 04:13 pm »
Try this:  Open Finder and click on "GO" (at top of screen) then click on "Connect to Server" and proceed from there with the passwords, etc.

Tony

SHV

« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2012, 04:40 pm »
Try this:  Open Finder and click on "GO" (at top of screen) then click on "Connect to Server" and proceed from there with the passwords, etc.

Tony

"Connection failed"...Server bryston-bdp-1 may not exist or is unavailable at this time, etc.....Also tried IP address with same result.

I am fairly sure that i have transferred music files over the WiFi connection since i changed to the OWC raid box.  Again, all other devices and software connect and function properly.  Quite odd.

Steve

Steve

BrysTony

« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2012, 04:52 pm »
Using the same steps try entering the server as: smb://bryston-bdp-1

Tony

skunark

« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2012, 06:09 pm »
Since you are logging in as bryston/bryston, and the sandisk appears but not your HDD, there's probably an issue with the configuration of samba on the BDP.  Perhaps a call to Chris can straighten this out?   

Could be as simple as the volume name of the HDD fooling the custom perl scripts, to the size of volume and any restrictions samba might have running on a "32-bit" OS.  But you won't really know until you see the log files, and then  you might not know (since most log files have the wrong permissions).    If this worked in the past, then it's possible the volume name might have changed.  Linux will sometimes call it "VOLUME", "VOLUME-1", etc.

Marius

« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2012, 06:19 pm »
Hi,

Had the same issue at hand. Only solution was to unplug the power cord. And plug it in again of course :D

Marius

SHV

« Reply #9 on: 2 Mar 2012, 06:49 pm »
Using the same steps try entering the server as: smb://bryston-bdp-1

Tony

Tried that and the error now is: there are no shares available or you are not allowed to access then...contact sys. admin. etc

Also tried the unplug of the BDP last night as that had worked for "odd problems" in the past; not this time.

Steve

Marius

« Reply #10 on: 2 Mar 2012, 07:02 pm »
your Hdd is self powered? I had some hdd's that were too powerhungry and caused problems like this. Always try the bottom rear usb connection.

just trying things you did not mention yet....

BrysTony

« Reply #11 on: 2 Mar 2012, 10:46 pm »
Tried that and the error now is: there are no shares available or you are not allowed to access then...contact sys. admin. etc

Also tried the unplug of the BDP last night as that had worked for "odd problems" in the past; not this time.

Steve

:scratch: :scratch:

Tony

SHV

« Reply #12 on: 2 Mar 2012, 11:40 pm »
:scratch: :scratch:

Tony

I agree....this problem just "popped up" spontaneously, maybe it will pop down spontaneously. :>)

Steve

SHV

« Reply #13 on: 5 Mar 2012, 01:43 pm »
Well the "problem" solved itself.  I have been busy doing other things and haven't used the system for a few days.  Just tried "finder" and everything seems back to normal without any intervention on my part.  Obviously a miracle cure.

Steve

JfTM

« Reply #14 on: 5 Mar 2012, 06:17 pm »
I believe this is an undocumented feature  :?

SHV

« Reply #15 on: 6 Mar 2012, 02:34 pm »
During the period when the glitch occurred, a fraudulent charge was made on one of my credit cards.  Maybe the undocumented feature of the BDP-1 is an unauthorized computer entry alarm.  :>)

Steve

Marius

« Reply #16 on: 6 Mar 2012, 03:08 pm »
I had another odd one today: I never power down the bdp1 so that shouldn't be the culprit. I selected the bdp1 as source on the bda1 which acts as the main hub in my system, and the bdp1 hung. It hung on an internetradiostation I left it with the last time, Avro Klassieken, as listed in James's radio1 list.

It would not update or connect to the mpod/mpad and my safari wouldn't load the bdp1 interface, so resetting or updating was no option.

Finally I decided to power down and repower it as to let it update in the startup cycle. I waited and waited, only to discover it stayed in the 'unsupported fs' error again. Previously I had experienced that pushing the 'right-arrow' solved that, so I pushed it, and it finally went through the power up cycle. A couple of minutes after that (which is a lot longer than its supposed to) the BDP1 suddenly indicated the 'updating', which again took for more than 30 minutes. Only 1 cd was added, but a folder with about 10 of them was relocated and renamed, so that might have taken so long.

Ever since that, one of my hdd's is flashing all the time, even when nothing is being played. No web browser talking to it. Strange things happen. :scratch: :scratch:

Seems the computer-part of the BDP1 is acting like one. And that's not a compliment. I can put up with it, but I am having a difficult time explaining to my better half the latest and the greatest brings along ancient pc problems...

makes me kind of hesitant really to even start considering buying the sp3 (which I am anyway of course), when reading the latest rave review James sent out today.

Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #17 on: 21 Mar 2012, 04:28 am »
Hi Guys,

We have noticed the bdp-1 not always sharing drives via samba and we are confident that our next update will address this issue.  We have set up our startup scripts to ensure all mountable drives are mounted before the samba config file is generated, this delays samba's startup time. Y a few seconds per drive but it does make a siginicant difference in reliability.  We hope to have better support for hfs (Mac) volumes later this year.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #18 on: 22 Mar 2012, 01:31 pm »
Great Chris, would this deal with the strange but longstanding Airplay-incompatibitlty/issue too...?
#fingerscrossed.

Marius

Hi Guys,

We have noticed the bdp-1 not always sharing drives via samba and we are confident that our next update will address this issue.  We have set up our startup scripts to ensure all mountable drives are mounted before the samba config file is generated, this delays samba's startup time. Y a few seconds per drive but it does make a siginicant difference in reliability.  We hope to have better support for hfs (Mac) volumes later this year.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #19 on: 24 Mar 2012, 02:33 am »
Hi Marius,

That's not an issue, it's a feature  :wink:

Just joking, yes I am still looking into that, the unfortunent thing is I am unable to reproduce this issue either at Bryston or at home.  However after checking avahi's web website avahi.org, I have noticed a new version was released about a month ago.  When I get back into the office Monday I will post some instructions on how to apply it.

Cheers,
Chris