James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
TrueHD receiver starting price?
« on: 1 Mar 2012, 06:44 pm »
Sum total HT receiver functions:

• Decode TrueHD
  • Switch between two HDMI sources (three better but not mandatory) 

I will employ speaker-to-line-level attenuators if no 7.1 analog line-level output.   No other function.  Amplifier wattage/current irrelevant. 

Please suggest makes/models and starting price range.

Thanks!  :thumb: 

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
Re: TrueHD receiver starting price?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2012, 09:34 pm »
C'mon James, give us more to work with :lol:
You pretty much narrowed it down to every receiver made in the past few years...kinda like asking for a car reomondaton...that has at least 2 doors and takes gasoline!

What speakers?
What size room?
 :D

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2012, 10:54 pm »
Sorry, I'm not so much into HT as music.

My intent, if possible, is to stream DD 5.1 from desktop computer to receiver via HDMI...the receiver would decode TrueHD and DTS Master HD from Blu-ray. 

I hate to bug retailers unless I'm going to definitely purchase from them.

I did not even know low cost receivers switch HDMKI!  So pretty much just about anything?

Power is irrelevant because I'm using outboard amp, Hypex Ncore front and something else for surround. 

Thanks!

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2012, 11:27 pm »
You can still find some low end models that Only pass hdmi through but not switch.

More importantly you want full Pre outs, and that will be your limiter.

Do you know what brands your local retailers carry?

And more importantly, does your htpc handle the the formats?
There are many low cost ( under $70) video cards that can of your current setup does not.

S o refresh start by looking at receivers that have pre outs, many models from Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz and pioneer ( and more) do have pre outs.

Do you have a budget in mind?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2012, 02:36 am »
You can still find some low end models that Only pass hdmi through but not switch.

More importantly you want full Pre outs, and that will be your limiter.

Negative.  I'll employ speaker-to-line-level attenuators if no 7.1 pre-outs.   

Do you know what brands your local retailers carry?
Pioneer, Denon at one place, the other place is Best Buy. 

And more importantly, does your htpc handle the formats?
There are many low cost ( under $70) video cards that can of your current setup does not.

For now the primary streaming source is Netflix.  Netflix audio is 5.1 maximum, so I presume that is DD.  So, if I'm getting this correctly, the computer will output only 5.1.  My only 7.1 TrueHD and DTS MasterHD source is Blu-ray. 

So refresh start by looking at receivers that have pre outs, many models from Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz and pioneer ( and more) do have pre outs.

Do you have a budget in mind?

Entry level to decode TrueHD and DTS MasterHD, and switch between two HDMI sources would appear to do the trick, unless I'm missing something (easily the case).  I priced no receivers decoding TrueHD and DTS MasterHD.

Thanks!   

Mr Peabody

« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2012, 09:04 pm »
Here's a Yamaha RX-V371 for $199.00  http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vXCBDjzzYyz/p_022RXV371/Yamaha-RX-V371.html?tp=179&omnews=9352057

I helped my friend set up an entry level Yamaha and it's pretty nice for the money.  I personally would recommend spending the extra money for true preamp outputs if running external amps but if quality is of no concern you shouldn't have to spend more than $199.00.  You may even be able to get a Sherwood or Insignia for less than that but one must draw the line some where :)

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2012, 09:19 pm »
Thanks!  Indeed, at the lowest price point receivers are more similar than different.  Yesterday an A-V industry friend said he compared notes at an event with many installers having no financial interest in any particular brand.  They universally like Onkyo.  Denon receivers have reliability issues and more difficult to program.   

I'm leaning toward a Google set top box vs. upgrading the computer.

Have you compared speaker level attenuators vs. pre-outs?  I use a simple "bridge" circuit (9k series resistor followed by 1k parallel) recommended by a famous tube transformer designer.  The only known drawback is noise potential with high-sensitivity speakers, not the case here.