Using Andriod Tablet as a remote server for MediaMonkey or Foobar

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
So....I've got my handy dandy Samsung Galaxy 10.1.
Lovin it. It's a great piece of equipment, to say the least.

But the ultimate plan is to use it as a 'remote' to control the music (and possibly video someday?) from the server I'll wire to the rest of my system. I've been playing with "Unified Remote" software and app and it seems to be working decently, although I'm still at the beginning of the learning curve of what can be done with the software.

My main question, is are there better pieces of software/apps that will do what I want?
I'd like to know before I learn this program, only to find out there's something more common/prevalent/better out there.

I've been using MediaMonkey for one of my secondary systems, so I'm comfortable with using that and Foobar2000.

The server I bought also contains a Bluray/DVD player, so basic video functions would be a benefit.

Thanks in advance fellas!
Bob

mcoaggie

Hi Bob, 

I use my android phone as a remote to foobar2000 using the UPNPlay component and app.
http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_upnp
I find that UPNPlay is a little buggy at times but works pretty well.

I have also used J. River media center and the Gizmo app but my trail expired and I haven't purchased j river.
I think the J River app worked quite well but its been several months so I cannot remember the specifics although I do think you can control video.  J. River also has a bunch of plugins can handle mutliple zones and a has a ton of other features I dont quite remember.

I use media monkey but only for tagging.

Hope this helps.
- Owen

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
    • The Well Tempered Computer
If you have UPnP/DLNA devices in your network you might try Samsung's AllShare

chip

chip

Oh and I tried out the foobar one and it worked nicely.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
Nice!
This is great information, thank you guys very much. That should keep me busy for a while.
Any more recommendations are very welcome as well!  :thumb:

Bob

audioseduction

Using my Motorola Xoom running Android to control JRMC 17 just rocks!

pjchappy

While not exactly what was requested, since it was already mentioned, I will 3rd J. River and Gizmo.  Works flawlessly on my (fairly soon to be replaced) Droid X.  Easy to set-up and a great interface.  Beyond that, you can also stream from your PC to your phone/tablet (vs. loading songs on the phone/tablet).

Paul

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
I bought the "Unified Remote" software and use it with MediaMonkey. It works, but doesn't have the functionality that I was looking for. Mainly, it's serves as basic function remote. ie; play, forward, pause, etc...
I was hoping to see my library as shown in MediaMonkey, not be limited by simple functions.

Having the server in my equipment rack, and attached to my projector, I didn't want to have to fire up a projector to listen to music. I was hoping to use the Samsung Galaxy's display as more of an extension to the servers video function (wirelessly).

That being said, I think I'll try the Samsung Allshare as it not only also controls video, but also "shares" with other servers/PCs in the house.

But J.River and Gimzo having three recommendations so far has caught my attention. I didn't "think" I wanted to spend that much, but in the long run it's a small price to pay for what I want (if indeed it allows the Galaxy's display to see everything the server can show).

Thanks again fellas!  :thumb:
Bob

chip

If you don't want to spend the money go the foobar route.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
Thanks Chip.
I'm a bit of a tight-wad when it comes to certain things, software included.
But the more I look at the J. River software, the sexier it looks.   :lol:

Bob

chip

Here is a pic of foobar from my android -

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
Cool, thank you. That looks a lot like Pandora does on the tablet.

Question though, that screen shot you have, is that the Android itself playing the song shown, or is it being used as a "remote" for another system?

Bob

p.s. You need to charge your battery.  :wink:

chip

That is a screenshot of me controlling foobar on my android for my test pc that has foobar running. Make sense?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
Make sense?
"Yes". That's what I needed to know. Thank you very much Chip.  :thumb: