Favorite Tubes for the SE 9

HarleyMYK

Favorite Tubes for the SE 9
« on: 13 May 2004, 02:17 pm »
My rectifier tube went out today, and so I need to order a replacement.  I thought I would check in and see what people are using for tubes throughout the amp, as I might as well get standby replacements while I order the 5AR4 (or equivalent).  Michael Barnes had mentioned replacing the power tubes with 6CA7s some time ago.

Any other suggestions?  Also -- favorite (or cheapest) sources for delivery in the USA?

yeldarb

tubes
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2004, 05:04 pm »
Try Antique Electronic Supply in Arizona for new and nos tubes.  .tubesandmore.com.
For the 12ax7 spot you might want to try the 6681.  It is a 12ax7 handpicked tube tolerant of automotive applications.  I find them to be very nice.

myoung

tubes for SE-9
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2004, 06:44 pm »
I went with the stock tubes for a while, but then decided to pop in some vintage stuff. I used a Valvo 5AR4 (made by Mullard in the UK) and a pair of Mullard long plate 12AX7s. The combination really tamed what I thought was a bit of an edge at higher frequencies. I used the stock EH EL34s until one of 'em died. I bought a pair of EH 6CA7s and a pair of real Svetlana EL34s as replacements, though I've only used the 6CA7s so far. These Svetlanas came from the St. Petersburg factory and aren't the Svetlana-badged Sovteks. Any of the good online dealers can get you those, and the prices are pretty good for highly regarded tubes.

BTW, it seems that a lot of the 5AR4/GZ34 tubes from the greater Amperex family, including Valvos and I think Mazdas, were made by Mullard in  England. The other brands are often cheaper, though, at least on Ebay.

Anyway, the end result of the tube rolling is, to my ears, a much smoother presentation, more of the "tube magic" people go on about. I think popping in the Svetlanas would add even more. Just haven't gotten to that yet ...

Good luck,
Mike