Maggie midrange dimensions?

Few

Maggie midrange dimensions?
« on: 26 Feb 2012, 05:54 pm »
Can anyone tell me the width and height of the midrange portion of any of the Magneplanars using their quasi-ribbon midrange approach? I'm interested in either the dimensions of the midrange diaphram or of the magnet array driving it.

Thanks in advance.
Few

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Maggie midrange dimensions?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Feb 2012, 10:52 pm »
The cryptic reply from Wendell is:

The ideal speaker, in our opinion, is a floor-to-ceiling line source that is very narrow. The power response from such a driver is awesome. We aspire to that at each price point. But, mileage will vary depending on your budget.

Getting out the tape measure,
3.7s are 72" tall, the quasi ribbon section is 5'x12".  How much of that width is devoted to the midrange, I can't say.
1.7s are 65" high with the quasi ribbon/tweeter section measuring roughly 10.25 x 48".
I hope this helps some.

josh358

Re: Maggie midrange dimensions?
« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2012, 04:32 am »
As in any speaker, you want to keep the width of the driver small compared to the wavelength of the highest frequency it handles, taking into account the slope of the low-pass filter on the crossover. The height of a line source is ideally floor-ceiling as Wendell said; it behaves like a much larger line source if you do that, several times the height of the room. If it's shorter, you'll get vertical lobing at lower frequencies, and as Davey just pointed out the radiation pattern will change with frequency and listening distance. The flip side of this is that the smaller the diaphragm area, the larger the excursion needed for a given SPL. So you want to make the drivers as wide as possible without making them so wide that they become directional. With cones, planars, and ribbons, you can make a pretty good compromise, but with stats, you have to use other techniques such as facets (Sound Labs), curves (Martin-Logan), and phased arrays (Quad) since they can manage only about 1/10 the excursion of a planar. (All three techniques do essentially the same thing acoustically.)

The MMG would be an example of a Maggie with compromises -- the quasi ribbon tweeter is a bit too wide, something like 2", so you get beaming and cauliflower lobing in the horizontal dispersion pattern, and the speaker is too short, so you get vertical lobing as the driver and its reflected images cause interference patterns. The 20.1 with its floor-ceiling height and 1/4" tweeter and narrow midrange (sorry, I don't know the actual dimension either) is an example of a cost-no-object design. In general, the more frequency ranges you have, the more closely you can approach the twin ideals of large diaphragm area at lower frequencies (since excursion increases as the square as frequency drops, as the cube at the lowest reaches of a dipole) and narrow width. But of course adding drivers increases cost and size, and you have the adverse sonic effects of more crossovers.