Has anyone seen Van Helsing yet?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 13 May 2004, 01:42 am »
I guess I should ask, "Bubba, have you seen Van Helsing yet?"  :lol:   I plan to check it out, but I haven't seen any reviews yet.

wshuff

« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2004, 02:08 am »
My friends and I concluded that it was well done crap.  Unintentionally funny in a few spots.

Don't get me wrong though.  It was exactly what I thought it would be when I went into it.  No surprises.  Just think your basic big budget summer movie fare.  I'd put it in the same category as The Mummy/The Mummy Returns, etc.  Go watch it and eat some popcorn and jelly bellies, maybe some twizlers.  When its over, leave and forget it.

wshuff

« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2004, 02:09 am »
By the way, what is your avatar?  I've seen that picture somewhere else.  Who are the people?

dogberry

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2004, 02:09 am »
It looks too stupid for me to waste my time on it.  I did like the first Mummy, but this looks like they had to throw everything but the kitchen sink into the movie to attempt something "original."

Nothing but CGI wanking.

bubba966

Re: Has anyone seen Van Helsing yet?
« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2004, 02:38 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
I guess I should ask, "Bubba, have you seen Van Helsing yet?"  :lol:

Nope, sorry. I've already turned down chances at seeing it at no cost. Not because I don't want to. But the local theaters have gotten so bad that I don't care to put up with the shitty presentation anymore.

More & more often I'm just waiting 'till it hits 5" as that experience keeps getting better & better as time marches on...

dado5

« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2004, 02:54 am »
I am going to see it soon.

The physical attractiveness of the lead actors is enough for my wife and I to shell out the dough on this one. Casting coup in the babe/hunk department if you ask me.  What guy does not want to see Kate(in tight black leather for a second time!) and what gal does not want to see Hugh?

aint' spectin' much in the way of masterful story telling though.

Thanks,
Rob

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2004, 04:30 am »
My avatar is from a painting called "Accolade" by the English painter Edmund Blair Leighton.  I can't recall whether or not it portrays actual people or is purely fictional.  Here's a larger view:

As for Van Helsing, I'll probably see it based on my worship of Kate Beckinsale alone.  I also have like Jackman (uh, Hugh, not our own "Jman"!  :lol: ) in the things he's been in.

wshuff

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2004, 05:12 am »
I like (Hugh) Jackman too, and he certainly isn't what I'd call the problem with Van Helsing.  He does what he can.  I'd really like to see him in something where he can really dig into a part.

Anyway, we're what?  A little more than 24 hours away from Troy?  I'm hoping it will be the epic that I've been craving.  I'm just worried that Jar Jar might show up.

wshuff

« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2004, 05:13 am »
And thanks for the info (and larger pic) of the avatar.

dyfromhawaii

« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2004, 08:49 am »
I saw the movie with the wife and son on opening day (at night)---thought it was a very good movie...with a lot of audible suspense lurking for the next set of scenes.

Yes, it was funny to see certain scenes (you will know when you watch them), and *did not know* Kate Beckinsdale (or however you spell it) was the lead actress until the credits rolled at the end (I had originally gone to the movie because I was 'forced to'). Gosh, she didn't appeal to me in the movie, 'Pearl Harbor' but was she glamourous in the movie and on The David Letterman Show---wow! Thinks she is just slightly too thin however (a good 12-15 more pounds should make her even better looking).

Good 'entertainment' movie and will purchase it when it comes out on DVD.

Woodsea

« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2004, 06:00 pm »
My buddy and I were not as astounded as we would have liked to have been.  The sound and video were top-notch, the story and editing was a bit campy.  It took itself more serious than Army of Darkness, which is not a compliment.  I have AoD it is great camp.  The action was well executed by the stunt poeple and stunt bytes.  We both felt we were going to rent it, when it comes out.  They changed some basic storylines of all the villians and hero.  So you come out scratching your head, as to what to think.  But really all in all, A fun romp.
Now to the x-box version of the game, it follows the story line of the movie and the graphics are well done.  I have not played to far into it, but so far I am not truly impressed.  Especially regarding the other movie orgininated tie-in games this summer to be.
But the Movie is worth seeing if the cinema has the right sound system. :thumb:

michael w

« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2004, 09:39 am »
Quote from: dogberry
It looks too stupid for me to waste my time on it.  I did like the first Mummy, but this looks like they had to throw everything but the kitchen sink into the movie to attempt something "original."

Nothing but CGI wanking.

100% accurate.

This is nothing but LOUD, obnoxious cinematic wanking by Sommers and some particularly bad acting by the leads.

In interviews he says he is paying homage to the Universal monsters but what he's really doing is desecrating their history.

The guy is nothing but a hackmeister.