cabinet finish ideas

santacore

cabinet finish ideas
« on: 25 Feb 2012, 04:09 am »
I was one of the members that purchased a subwoofer cabinet from Jonathan's sale: [ftp]http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=103506.msg1056941#new[ftp]

I was wondering if any fellow AC'ers had suggestions on how to finish the cabinets. I'm pretty inexperienced with finished wood, so safe and simple ideas would be preferred. Thanks! BTW, I'm pairing the sub with some Marten Forms in walnut.

aron944

Re: cabinet finish ideas
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2012, 05:38 pm »
Without getting crazy you can simply stain to suit and then use minwax wipe on polyurethane.    This stuff is really easy to use and the few times I have used it has given a consistent finish w/o needing additional work after application.   Keep in mind the end grain of the ply will absorb finishes less consistently than the face, and both the stain and the poly will be affected.  http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/interior-clear-protective-finishes/minwax-water-based-wipeon-poly

jwern6

Re: cabinet finish ideas
« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2012, 10:08 pm »
I don't know what level of finish you are searching for, but I gotta throw in my two cents on something.  I built a pair of X-LS Encores and a 12" powered sub for my son; who has boys 6 & 10 and a girl 14. We play wii, assorted other games, watch football, etc in the living room where the speakers are located (they pull tv, HT & stereo duty), and it gets pretty busy in there so I had to build something people-proof.  I used a product called Duratex to finish all three.  The finish ends up the same as you would see on stage equipment, and man is it tough.  See www.acrytech.com for a good description.  It made a great utility finish, and if it gets damaged, I can just paint more on.  I used the sonicaps, mills resistors, and no-rez and I have a fantastic set of speakers; and they are bullet proof.  I can hear all of the cabinetmakers throwing rocks at me, but I had to pass that on to you.  After all, whats on the inside matters most, eh? good luck