Water, water everywhere...

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Water, water everywhere...
« on: 24 Feb 2012, 09:44 pm »
3am Tuesday morning a transition coupling on the 1" water line coming into our basement separated and dumped several hundred gallons.  By the grace of God I was using the downstairs bathroom at the time so not to disturb my wife upstairs...I will spare you the details...and the fitting let go just as I was walking out of the bathroom.  Unfortunately, after slipping on the vinyl floor and busting my right elbow, I panicked and it took my a good 15 minutes to grab my vice grips and head out to the meter pit to shut off the supply.  We had about 2" water in the mechanical room and it was inching toward my VR5s.  But we quickly got things disconnected and moved out to a safe spot.  So now rather than hearing bit-perfect music files on my NAIM server I am being serenaded by a dozen or so blowers and a couple of dehumidifiers.  Fortunately we got on it soon enough to avoid drywall wicking and there very little personal property damage except for 166 LPs that were on the floor and 3 furnace filters.  The insurance company said they will only cover the cost of the album jackets.  How nice of them.  Anyhow, will be out of commission for a good 10 days but it could have been much, much worse.   

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: Water, water everywhere...
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2012, 10:24 pm »
Consider yourself lucky. In September, I had 4 feet of water on my main floor. No speakers survived. I had a little over 200 pieces of my best quality vinyl and 15 tube amps under water.
 Glad to hear your loss was minimal.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2012, 10:59 pm »
Gavin, sorry to hear but glad that your annies were spared and there was no "significant" damage.

djmckaytx

• Legacy Whispers, Legacy Amps, Grover Cables
« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2012, 11:09 pm »
I truly feel your pain.   :(

I came home from an anniversary trip to HI in January 2008 with my wife to find 1.5" of water in my listening room theater/basement.  Fortunately, all my speakers and equipment racks were on spikes and escaped the water.  My son had been checking on our house not 18 hours before and it was fine (the sump pump decided to stop working that night).  I now have a redundant sump pump.

I had fortunately thought to unplug everything from the wall before I left - sometimes I don't.  All the room furniture was damaged.  My insurance company of course claimed to have no clue as to the real value of the power cables or speaker cables I was using at the time that were of course on the floor.  Even after my dealer supplied them with the information, I still didn't reach my deductible which was 1% of the value of the house.

Not fun.  My thoughts are with you - is your elbow OK?

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2012, 02:46 pm »
Thanks for the kind thoughts guys.  It could have been much worse so am lucky for sure.  My elbow is getting better.  I must have strained a ligament or something...nothing broken.  When you're 64 and take a fall like that, anything can happen.  Thanks again.

JGlacken

« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2012, 03:53 pm »
Gavin,

Heal up fast and be thankful of the minimal damage as I am sure you are.

I wonder how the insurance company will value your jackets - are they collectors items?
Can they be replaced with "like kind and quality"?
Yes, I spent 30 years as an insurance agency owner.  You are probably entitled to more than the value of the cardboard!

Best,

Jeff

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2012, 05:43 pm »
Wow Gavin,

VSA in a flood again?

Good luck cleaning up the pool.

Cor

htradtk

« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2012, 12:57 am »
Gavin,

So glad to hear you are OK. You were in the right spot at the right time! I know with having Cerbal Palsy, falling is my greatest fear! Hope you can save those LP's, they are hard to come-by!

Henry

JackD201

« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2012, 01:23 pm »
Sorry to hear about this Gavin. I'm just glad you're okay.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2012, 02:04 pm »
Thanks again gentlemen.  Just found another 32 wet albums that the cleanup crew stacked elsewhere so the count is at 198, very close to Bill's loss number.  Speaking of Bill Baker, just tried sending you a PM and got a no-go.  Seems you are on "restricted" status.  What on earth did you do to garner that distinction  :scratch:  I was put on the bad list a while back and can't even remember why.  Oh well, life goes on.

BigSwede

« Reply #10 on: 27 Feb 2012, 03:27 pm »
Well that sucks, but very fortunate you knew about it right away, could have been much worse...I work in the IAQ/mold consulting field so LMK if you have any questions.

Indiansprings

« Reply #11 on: 27 Feb 2012, 09:40 pm »
I come home everyday and there is a thick layer of dust all over my equipment. After hearing your horror stories, I guess I feel lucky. Not to many basements in Phoenix. Not much moister either.