Window Treatments

LP1

Window Treatments
« on: 22 Feb 2012, 03:03 pm »
I have several windows in my dedicated basement listening room that are currently untreated. The window sills sit approximately 4 feet off the floor, but are still fairly large. Is there a specific type of window treatment that is acoustically more beneficial for a 2 channel setup? Right now, I am deciding between a fabric roman shade or wood plantation shutters (which I believe will offer some diffusion/diffraction characteristics). Thanks.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Window Treatments
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2012, 03:13 pm »
  I have found wood blinds to be very affective. You can adjust the angle of the blind as required.

charles

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2012, 03:15 pm »
If they're between you and the speakers, you will want to consider what is on the other side of the room in the same position.  You wouldn't want heavy drapes on one side and drywall on the other for instance.  I too prefer wood blinds.

Bryan

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2012, 03:21 pm »
How effective are those floor to ceiling plastic vertical blinds at diffusion?  I'm assuming not very, but are they at all beneficial, detrimental, don't matter?

kbuzz3

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2012, 03:24 pm »
I recently saw some press releases for a newer audio co that was offering acoustic window treatment. Can't recall the name but if you search the usual Elaine's I sure you will find it

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2012, 03:43 pm »
The verticals can work OK though there's not a lot of mass there. 

Bryan

LP1

« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2012, 04:58 pm »
Thank you for the responses so far.

Bryan:

I anticipated that I would have to have some sort of symmetrical treatment on the wall opposite the window, but do I understand that it only has to be for the windows between the speakers and the listening position? What about windows behind the speakers or behind the listening position? Regardless, assuming I choose wood blinds or plantation shutters, what would be an equivalent treatment for the opposite wall be (e.g., Diffusion)?

Thanks again!