Headphone amps that groove

JohnR

Headphone amps that groove
« on: 22 Feb 2012, 08:22 am »
Dang! I'm having a throwback moment to the block parties of my mis-spent yoof - Grace Jones, Pull up to the Bumper.  Never experienced this through headphones before.

Got an amp that grooves? What is it?

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
Re: Headphone amps that groove
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2012, 09:55 pm »
I acquired recently the HA-160Ds. Warm, with punchy bass and adds no coloration to the sound.

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2012, 05:38 am »
I wish I could include the Meier Corda Jazz on this list, but since it hasn't GOTTEN here yet....  :bawl:

I hven't heard it, but that Burson mentioned above seems to be really well liked.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2012, 05:42 am »
If you are mobile, and you are using IEM's, then the Xin Super-Micro is about the best you can get.  For full sized, the Woo Audio amps are uniformly excellent.

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2012, 06:14 am »
Actually, I do have a contribution to this thread...the ZO2 portable amp is AMAZING with IEMs. I can't seem to get the volume I want with full sized headphones, but with my ATrios I'm really in awe of how I just want to start tapping my toes and boogie!

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2012, 07:18 am »
I acquired recently the HA-160Ds. Warm, with punchy bass and adds no coloration to the sound.

Curiously, the method of acquiring one in Australia is somewhat obscure... Burson says go to the distributor, and their page has no info.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2012, 10:35 pm »
Actually, I do have a contribution to this thread...the ZO2 portable amp is AMAZING with IEMs. I can't seem to get the volume I want with full sized headphones, but with my ATrios I'm really in awe of how I just want to start tapping my toes and boogie!

A couple of basshead friends have it, they say that even anemic bass headphones sound good when using it.

and i ordered my ds on the US. You on australia? 

dBel84

« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2012, 03:09 am »
It is mostly a price point game. imo at least. There are so many players in the market that were not available even 5 years ago it is truly remarkable. I think every manufacturer has added something to the pot. On the cheaper end is the stuff from schitt ( http://schiit.com/ ), it is not the final word in fidelity but it will get your toes tapping. I own the Cavalli Liquid Fire which is a show stopper in refinement ( but it embarrasses lesser source components ) ( http://www.cavalliaudio.com/index.php/products/liquid-fire.html )

..dB

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2012, 03:32 am »
and i ordered my ds on the US. You on australia?

Yes I am.

saisunil

« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2012, 03:42 am »
If it for fun only then ZO2 might be the ticket - I returned mine ... it was quite colored and not transparent compared other portable headphones - was it fun - yes  :green:

I think anything from Ray Samuel's stable would rock!

For rock you could get the Rocoo P ... portable player with built in amp ...
http://www.hisoundaudio.com/products/players/rocoo-p/

I got one at a very good price during the chrismas time ... I prefer their studio V for boring audiophile stuff  :duh: :thumb:
http://www.hisoundaudio.com/products/players/studio-v/

There are dozens of good options for rock in portable amps ...

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #10 on: 6 Mar 2012, 11:30 pm »

I think anything from Ray Samuel's stable would rock!

What about the Dark star? pretty expensive unit..but people say good things.