How noisy is your outlet?

lanchile

How noisy is your outlet?
« on: 20 Feb 2012, 06:51 pm »
it is unbelievable how noisy are the outlets with RF (Radio Frequency). since I am in the diy audio staff, I measure everything now lol.
I have a lot of toys and one of them is this Wideband powerline noise analyzer. all my oulets are very noisy, I can hear radio station when I use it. But without it I will never new that was there. I got a Monster power center with filters and is unbelievable how it eliminates all the noise in the ac line. it is too bad that some good amps like Bryston  are plugged directly to noisy outlets without knowing the amp has to deal with it. :duh:

Levi

Re: How noisy is your outlet?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2012, 07:08 pm »
You are probably a little late on the party.  Here is one of my project back in 2009.   :thumb:

lanchile

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2012, 07:22 pm »
You stole mine!!! :lol: Wow it is nice to know that some people do care about AC noise! :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2012, 07:51 pm »
Nope.  The battle against dirty electricity has been going on for a very long time.  Wonder who won?  :lol:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2012, 07:51 pm »
  Is that reading a radio frequency or ??? Thanks.

charles

*Scotty*

« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2012, 07:54 pm »
The test would be to look at the noise on the secondaries
of the transformer and if it can read off of the DC power supply rails you could judge the effectivness of the power supply filtering. This would also be a handy device for measuring the effectivness of DIY AC filters.
Scotty

niels

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2012, 09:50 pm »
Which Monster do you have? I am very sceptical to Monster and would never buy one. have tried some PSAudio noise havesters but felt I was buying snakeoil so I sold them. Couldnt hear a difference with or without them anyway.
Will a Monster also prevent spikes from light switches?
The only proper solution I guess is PSaudio powerplants but I have read that some are not that dependable.

Ron D

« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2012, 10:14 pm »
Levi - may I ask as to what you did to the outlet that realized such a dramatic reduction?

youravhandyman

« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2012, 10:48 pm »
Panamax and Furman filter line noise well too.  They sell that "noise sniffer" to their dealers for demonstration.

Levi

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2012, 10:53 pm »
Levi - may I ask as to what you did to the outlet that realized such a dramatic reduction?

Hey Ron, I simply installed a series of caps in parallel inside CablePro.  I don't remember the values.  If you search the Lab, there you will find many threads about diy filtering.  Total cost is <$30.  It is a fun cost effective project that I can hear the difference. 

Notice the CablePro power strip.  They are wired individually for each receptacle?!?  I use it for my Bryston amps.

lanchile

« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2012, 11:34 pm »
Which Monster do you have? I am very sceptical to Monster and would never buy one. have tried some PSAudio noise havesters but felt I was buying snakeoil so I sold them. Couldnt hear a difference with or without them anyway.
Will a Monster also prevent spikes from light switches?
The only proper solution I guess is PSaudio powerplants but I have read that some are not that dependable.
I am using a Power center HTS400, I found it in an empty apt. There is no way you can hear it with just bare ears but that does not mean it is not there. some outlets are really bad. I have one in my kitchen that I can listen to a radio station clearly when I use the powerline noise analyzer.
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2012, 12:47 am by lanchile »

gooberdude

« Reply #11 on: 21 Feb 2012, 12:10 am »
I hate to be that guy, but I had the exact same issues & solved them with alan maher's filters.  They are bizarre, for sure.  And I hate not understanding the fundamental science behind it.

Without a doubt though, 3 of his Ref 2 wall wart filters plus 1 Ref 3 is all my entire home needs.  Don't have any surge protection, but can add that at any time.  Getting away from ac conditioners, power strips & the like has been a revelation.  Plus, my entire home has clean ac. 

In addition to the AudioPrism Noise Sniffer device I also use jim hagerman's FryCorder. The frycorder physically quiets noisy outlets.  Again, i have no idea how.

Years ago I bought a pack of the Audioprism wall wart parallel line filters & still have them.  With  6 of them installed around the house I'd get noise thru the 'Sniffer at the highest sensitivity (10 & 11).  With (4) alan maher filters in place the Sniffer stays dead silent.  To date, only balanced power conditioners (A BPT specifically) and my AM system quiet down the Noise Sniffer 100%. 

I need that Entech device.  It might legitimize AM products   :lol:

Levi

« Reply #12 on: 21 Feb 2012, 12:14 am »
I won't use a Monster Cable MP18 for any audio application.  It is supposed to be for computers but I wouldn't trust my computers with it too.  I would probably use it for my rice cooker or something.  LOL!

drummermitchell

« Reply #13 on: 21 Feb 2012, 12:28 am »
I definitely wouldn't use a monster of any kind for anything.
Had a monster on my computer and Torus on my audio gear a few years back.
long story short,we had a storm here,the monster got fried and my computer got fried........
Torus and gear:NOTHING,I'm actually glad the computer got it first :scratch: as my gear is first priority.
I may upgrade gear but the Torus stays where they are,three that is.

tim92gts

« Reply #15 on: 21 Feb 2012, 09:07 am »
Is anyone getting audible symptoms from noisy power supplies?
Mine used to be really bad as i rent out a shed to someone using an arc welder.
It's on a different phase but same transformer.
The NAD amps were terrible but now i've got Brystons the noise has all gone.
I assumed it's down to adequate power supply design in the amps?

Levi

« Reply #16 on: 21 Feb 2012, 12:40 pm »
No noise with my Bryston or McIntosh amps.

lanchile

« Reply #17 on: 21 Feb 2012, 02:31 pm »
Bryston amps are very well build. I assume their power supply will clean all EMI/RFI. I had a B60 and and it was quiet as a mouse. :thumb:

*Scotty*

« Reply #18 on: 21 Feb 2012, 04:41 pm »
Does this mean that by virtue of their power supply design that Bryston amps cannot benefit from an investment in AC power filtering because they are immune to EMI/RFI on the AC line?
Scotty

SoundGame

« Reply #19 on: 21 Feb 2012, 04:57 pm »
Does this mean that by virtue of their power supply design that Bryston amps cannot benefit from an investment in AC power filtering because they are immune to EMI/RFI on the AC line?
Scotty

The larger Bryston amps 7, 14 and 28's do not benefit from AC power filtering to any consistent / nominal level and unless you're careful you could be limiting their power.

It seems that the 4B and down may have some benefit but this is still debateable but again, you need to ensure the filtering does not in anyway slow down or restrict the current flow.

It comes down to how dirty your incoming power is.  I say start with a dedicated electrical circuit - separate power line on an independent breaker first.