Circumaural v. On-ear

ajzepp

Circumaural v. On-ear
« on: 17 Feb 2012, 01:03 am »
So as I continue my most excellent journey through this world of headphones and portable audio, I find little areas where I clearly prefer one "type" over another. My latest revelation is that I think I much prefer on-ear cans over circumaural ones. This may be one of the reasons why I fell in love with the Grados so  much.

Yesterday I took delivery on a pair of BeyerDynamic DT880s, the 600 ohm version. As a disclaimer, let me say that I have not yet heard them with a proper amp. All I had on hand was my little Fiio E11 portable, which surprisingly drove them to adequate listening levels, but I know it's not a appropriate source of amplification for a 600 ohm phone. But anyway, although they already sounded far better than the Sennheiser 518s that I sold after a couple months, I have to say that I still don't like the way it has this "you're in a cave" presentation of a circumaural headphone. I know that MOST headphones seem to be the type that go over your ears like these two, but I don't really see anyone else taking issue with it except me. There is just something weird about the sound to me when it's "cupped in" like that, whereas the on-ear style of the Grado was nice and open, as if the music were in the room and not cupped to my head.

Can any of you guys relate to this at all, or am I the weirdo here?

saisunil

Re: Circumaural v. On-ear
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2012, 03:07 am »
also "open" vs. "closed" headphones do sound significantly different ...

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2012, 03:12 am »

I haven't heard any closed cans yet...the Beyers I just got I know are semi-open, but just having them on my head I can still hear the environment pretty well...not as much as the Grados, but still very clear. Once my amp gets here I'll fire them up and listen more critically. I just find it odd that I'm so infatuated with a $99 pair of Grados lol.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2012, 12:25 am »

This is a never ending debate.."on which sounds best"

I own both, and i use them depending on my mood.