Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary Mk2 at CES 2012 with Audio Power Labs amplifiers

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
Written by Greg Weaver, Senior Reviewer, Positive Feedback On Line magazine, January Issue:

Venetian 30-229 – Audio Power Labs/Von Schweikert Audio

The Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary loudspeakers (my reference for the past four years), was driven by the new "baby" sibling of the Audio Power Labs 833TNT, the 50 watt 50TNT monos.

System Details
WideaLab Aurender S10 Music Playback and Storage System ($6,995)
Eera Tentation CD Player ($12,000)
Audio Research Reference 5 Preamp ($8995)
Audio Power Labs 50TNT ($47,500/pr)
Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary Loudspeakers ($30,000)
Von Schweikert Audio MasterBuilt Signature Interconnects ($4200 per meter pr) and Signature Bi-wire Speaker Cables ($6000 per 8 foot pair)
Approximate System Total: $130,000

This was my first experience with the new Audio Power Labs 50TNT, the new "baby" sibling to the stunning 833TNT. This system was revealing, detailed, and exquisitely voiced. As I am intimate with Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversaries hitched up with the Von Schweikert Audio Master-Built Signature Bi-wires (my reference speakers and cables for the past four years), I can say that what I was hearing upstream, both from the Eera Tentation player and the new 50TNTs, both of which I'd not had the pleasure of hearing prior to this event, was exquisite.

The system was remarkably detailed without being aggressive, and had a midrange purity that is rare to find. Tonal balance was superb, and the overall coherence of the sound made for a convincing disappearing act, with only the music and the performance left in front of the listener.