Frame Size For OB Experiment

Uncle Elvis

Frame Size For OB Experiment
« on: 15 Feb 2012, 09:14 pm »
I am very interested in OB and would like to see how OB speakers sound in my room. I have a pair of Adire HE 10's (Anyone remember them?). They are not OB, but my thought is to take the drivers out of their current box and install them into a quick and dirty H frame and see how they sound.
They clearly would not be optimized and I would be careful not to bottom them out, but is this a valid test? If so, is there a "golden rule" for H frame dimensions that I should start with?
Worth the time?  Any thoughts are appreciated.

JohnR

Re: Frame Size For OB Experiment
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2012, 01:21 am »
If you're running them full range, you would be better to use a flat baffle. The H-frame would be for a large driver to augment the bass.

Uncle Elvis

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2012, 04:29 pm »
Thanks John. Regarding dimensions, is there a general rule I should follow when making the baffle?
The driver is 10".

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2012, 03:04 am »
The general rule is that the wider the baffle, the lower the frequency at which you will need a woofer to fill in the bass. I think the best way to explore it is to use a baffle simulator, I find the Edge simple enough to use, and there are a couple of others I've heard of but haven't used: ABC Dipole and BoxSim.