Corner speakers?

JohnR

Corner speakers?
« on: 13 Feb 2012, 10:17 am »
Has anyone here used or built/designed speakers that are specifically designed to be used or built into room corners?

jimdgoulding

Re: Corner speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2012, 12:22 pm »
I have not, personally, but Klipsch made corner horns for years and may still.  There may be some user or critic's reviews online about them.  Klipsch mave even have a chat room.   

OzarkTom

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2012, 12:37 pm »
Duke's AudioKinesis Rhythm Prisms are the most natural sounding corner speakers I have ever heard.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2012, 12:39 pm »

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2012, 12:48 pm »
I guess I should add that I'm mostly interested in the effect on mid/treble region.

dynaflo

« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2012, 01:10 pm »
Pi Speakers makes corner horns.

jparkhur

« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2012, 01:13 pm »
Frugal Horns made for corners...

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2012, 01:15 pm »
Frugal Horns made for corners...

That one at least I know what it is. How can it be made for corners, the thing sticks out the back a mile, the driver itself cannot be anywhere near the corner - ?

jparkhur

« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2012, 01:18 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=99005.msg1028243#msg1028243

You can push them back as far as you want, they load better in corners how i have them and for 200 dollars, they are a well sounding speaker at any level.  They don't stick out as much as you would think.  I am sure you could modify a  fonken floor stander to fit your exact need if you want a triangular perfect fit.  The FH just like corners..

Jon

OzarkTom

« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2012, 01:41 pm »
A safe bet would be to look at those Decware corner speaker plans. The Decware designer, Steve Deckart, is very particular when it comes to accurate mids and highs.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2012, 02:21 pm »
My Frugal Horn Mk3's extend exactly 18 inches from the corners. At only 7 inches wide they're skinny.

JCS

« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2012, 03:32 pm »
If you don't like the Frugal Horns, how about a BIB (Bigger Is Better) corner horn.  Very easy build and dimensions are available for a wide variety of drivers.

Cheers,  Jim

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2012, 04:30 pm »
For many years I owned Allison 3 speakers, which are most definitely corner designed.  For midrange and treble he was looking for very wide dispersion, thus the unique drivers which were more like inverted cones than domes.  Here's the best image I can find of the drivers, mounted in Allison CD-8's here:

And a pic of the 3s in a corner.

His main focus was eliminating dips and peaks in the bass response, thus the woofers located very close to boundary intersections, but then he needed midrange and tweeters to match in quality, here's Roy in an excerpt from an interview in Stereophile:

"Allison: Developing midrange and tweeter systems that were high enough in quality to complement the woofer we anticipated making was much more difficult. I worked out a configuration that I thought would produce extremely wide dispersion, which I deemed essential. I always wanted maximum dispersion of energy at all frequencies, and preferably the same amount of energy at all frequencies, and I set about to get it. That resulted in what was then a unique design for a tweeter-and-midrange configuration: what is essentially half a pulsating sphere. When you make it flexible—from paper—and clamp the outer edge to the mounting plate, then drive it at the midway point, the surface of this driver is going to be forced to change its radius of curvature so that there's a relatively large component of motion at right angles to the voice-coil as well as in line with the voice-coil motion.

Lander: And this gave you the dispersion you were after. Do you still favor paper cones?

Allison: Yes, I do. Not for a woofer, where the material doesn't matter very much as long as it works like a piston. At the other end of the spectrum, I don't want it to work like a piston, because even a small tweeter, if it's big enough to produce any reasonable amount of energy, is going to become directional at very high frequencies. So I have to use a very flexible material, and paper has a nice ratio of stiffness to sound-energy absorption when it flexes. With the right configuration and density and stiffness, paper can behave in a unique way. It's aided in my design by the material used to clamp the outer edge to the mounting plate—a very thin layer of foam, which is pretty effective in absorbing any energy that wants to reflect back from the edge and cause nonuniform response."

http://www.stereophile.com/content/glorious-time-ars-edgar-villchur-and-roy-allison-allison-part-2

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #13 on: 13 Feb 2012, 09:57 pm »
My Frugal Horn Mk3's extend exactly 18 inches from the corners. At only 7 inches wide they're skinny.

If you want something more dramatic from the same designer, Valiant, Victor, Vulcan. http://wodendesign.com/fostex.html

Our (Bernie's) Victor build (that is the prototype Valiant laid down between)

dave

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #14 on: 13 Feb 2012, 10:38 pm »
The Audiokinesis Prismas are supposed to be corner friendly. They certainly look like they're designed for corner placement but actually the 45 degree corner is to make them easy to align at the optimum angle for the waveguides. I plan to build some speakers similar to these employing these waveguides.

http://www.audiokinesis.com/product_ak_prisma.html

jimdgoulding

« Reply #15 on: 13 Feb 2012, 11:15 pm »
Duke's AudioKinesis Rhythm Prisms are the most natural sounding corner speakers I have ever heard.
Sorry, Duke, Tom's recommendation would have been mine, too, if I weren't so forgetful.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #16 on: 14 Feb 2012, 12:00 am »
I'm using Audio Note Es and they are designed for corner or near wall placement. They are not horns or horn loaded. They also come in a kit version.

I guess I should add that I'm mostly interested in the effect on mid/treble region.

I would think that a speaker that is designed for corner use has already taken that into account. The choice of wood, the baffle size, the driver(s) and network materials, and of couse the enclosure type would all add up to what the speaker sounds like as a whole . . . . when it is placed in the corner. Is that what you are asking?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #17 on: 14 Feb 2012, 01:45 am »
John, just an afterthought, I should think Duke would probably design the network from the ground up with your preferred placement in mind.

JohnR

« Reply #18 on: 14 Feb 2012, 01:49 am »
I'm not looking to buy anything, more interested in experiences and knowledge for a DIY one. I'm sure Duke's speakers are very good but they have rear ports, so I don't see how they can be used in a corner. (I mean right in a corner, per the picture of the Allisons.)

JohnR

« Reply #19 on: 14 Feb 2012, 01:56 am »
If you don't like the Frugal Horns, how about a BIB (Bigger Is Better) corner horn.  Very easy build and dimensions are available for a wide variety of drivers.

It's not that I don't like them per se, I'm just having trouble seeing how they are designed to be a corner speaker. Do you have a link for the BiB corner horn?