Why the router?

Fsonicsmith

Why the router?
« on: 10 Feb 2012, 03:35 pm »
I have not yet succeeded in setting up any type of remote access. I tried downloading MPod as our home network is entirely Apple and we have iPhones. Mpod loaded and gave me the message "Couldn't connect to the MPD server. Enter the correct MPD connection details in the MPod settings". Now lest you think I'm dense and lazy, both are true, but my biggest hurdle is being a bit computer-stupid. I have read the instructioin manual and I am still unclear. Do I need to install and connect-hard wired-a router to the BDP-1 to even use a mini-application like MPod? If the instruction manual makes this clear to everyone else, I will wear a dunce hat but I don't get it. Why was the BDP-1 designed to require a separate hard-wired router in order to gain remote capabilities in the first place? Again, I'm computer-stupid, but aren't we really talking about the necessity (in theory) for a wireless access point and not a router in the first place? Couldn't the wireless access point capability have been built into the BDP-1 like most other modern computer products? (By the way, this is mostly tongue in cheek as I have nothing but respect for this forum's participants, Bryston, and the ever-diplomatic James Tanner!) What's my beef you might ask? Well, I have a fairly high end two channel system in a dedicated listening room and attaching a router to a piece of gear in my particular listening room will be unwieldy on my particular equipment rack. Further, my motivatioin for trying the BDP-1 in the first place ws to avoid mixing computer equipment with my notion of high end audio gear. A cheesy router is not my idea of something that belongs in my listening room.
Separate and aside from all of the foregoing, I am totally in the dark as to what I interpret per the manual to be two separate router options. Tieing the slaved router to the housheold's modem/router or independantly just to the BDP-1. I understand the concept mind you, but not the advantages of one over the other and again, I submit that the manual fails to make this clear. Any and all help would be most appreciated. I bought one $80 D-Link router and messed with it for three hours and it would not install for reasons that I suspect pertain to the D-Links installation software and now I am looking to pick up another router and hopefully finally gaining remote access to the BDP-1.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Why the router?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2012, 03:41 pm »
I have not yet succeeded in setting up any type of remote access. I tried downloading MPod as our home network is entirely Apple and we have iPhones. Mpod loaded and gave me the message "Couldn't connect to the MPD server. Enter the correct MPD connection details in the MPod settings". Now lest you think I'm dense and lazy, both are true, but my biggest hurdle is being a bit computer-stupid. I have read the instructioin manual and I am still unclear. Do I need to install and connect-hard wired-a router to the BDP-1 to even use a mini-application like MPod? If the instruction manual makes this clear to everyone else, I will wear a dunce hat but I don't get it. Why was the BDP-1 designed to require a separate hard-wired router in order to gain remote capabilities in the first place? Again, I'm computer-stupid, but aren't we really talking about the necessity (in theory) for a wireless access point and not a router in the first place? Couldn't the wireless access point capability have been built into the BDP-1 like most other modern computer products? (By the way, this is mostly tongue in cheek as I have nothing but respect for this forum's participants, Bryston, and the ever-diplomatic James Tanner!) What's my beef you might ask? Well, I have a fairly high end two channel system in a dedicated listening room and attaching a router to a piece of gear in my particular listening room will be unwieldy on my particular equipment rack. Further, my motivatioin for trying the BDP-1 in the first place ws to avoid mixing computer equipment with my notion of high end audio gear. A cheesy router is not my idea of something that belongs in my listening room.
Separate and aside from all of the foregoing, I am totally in the dark as to what I interpret per the manual to be two separate router options. Tieing the slaved router to the housheold's modem/router or independantly just to the BDP-1. I understand the concept mind you, but not the advantages of one over the other and again, I submit that the manual fails to make this clear. Any and all help would be most appreciated. I bought one $80 D-Link router and messed with it for three hours and it would not install for reasons that I suspect pertain to the D-Links installation software and now I am looking to pick up another router and hopefully finally gaining remote access to the BDP-1.

Hi

Sorry for your frustration but you do need a router to remotely control the BDP. We did not include one because we did not want any component in the box that could generate noise.

Give Chris Rice our software engineer a call at Bryston and he can assist.
1800-632-8217

James

uncouth

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2012, 03:51 pm »
In my case my audio rack has access to ethernet cables which are in turn part of an already existing wireless network. So it made much more sense to just use the existing infrastructure and go wired rather than set up a second seperate router. Makes for a much cleaner look as well, since I agree that a cheap router looks out of place on a nice audio rack.

On a side note, I did test with a seperate router which happened to be a D-link. I first had to connect it directly to a PC to set the wireless network up. I suggest you try a direct wired connection to a PC from the new router, then go into the settings page per the router manual and make sure all of the wireless functions are in fact set up as they should be.

Fsonicsmith

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2012, 04:11 pm »
Hi

Sorry for your frustration but you do need a router to remotely control the BDP. We did not include one because we did not want any component in the box that could generate noise.

Give Chris Rice our software engineer a call at Bryston and he can assist.
1800-632-8217

James

Thanks James. Before I call Chris, can you answer my last question, as to the advantages/drawbacks of setting the router up as part of the household modem/router or as an independant router? I suppose I can take a stab at answering my own question-that listening to radio stations requires a modem. Other than that, I see no reason.

uncouth

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2012, 04:26 pm »
Thanks James. Before I call Chris, can you answer my last question, as to the advantages/drawbacks of setting the router up as part of the household modem/router or as an independant router? I suppose I can take a stab at answering my own question-that listening to radio stations requires a modem. Other than that, I see no reason.

If I may jump in again, using a stand-alone allows you to control the BDP-1 via interfaces such as the iPad/iPod apps you mentioned.

Using an internet connected router allows you to listen to radio stations as you mentioned, but also allows certain interfaces to look for album covers, artist info, etc. on the web.

sfraser

« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2012, 07:33 pm »
Actually i doubt you actually need a router for BDP-1 remote control access , You likely need a wi-fi access point (AP) DHCP server and Ethernet switch. It just so happens most "home access routers" bundle all the above mentioned functionality together at an attractive price. And of course if you have Internet access you have the added bonus mentioned above, art work Internet radio etc.. i may be splitting hairs, but I thought i would point that out...cause i am bored at work. :thumb:

Fsonicsmith

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2012, 08:40 pm »
Actually i doubt you actually need a router for BDP-1 remote control access , You likely need a wi-fi access point (AP) DHCP server and Ethernet switch. It just so happens most "home access routers" bundle all the above mentioned functionality together at an attractive price. And of course if you have Internet access you have the added bonus mentioned above, art work Internet radio etc.. i may be splitting hairs, but I thought i would point that out...cause i am bored at work.

Thanks sfraser. I know that "bored at work" feeling, and actually, your comment makes me feel better-it supports my hunch even as I poke around under a cloud of confusion.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2012, 09:46 pm »
hi, Fsonicsmith!

give D-Link's customer service a call in order to set up your router. maybe they can help?!? i had some issues too when i first tried to figure out how to use the BDP-1/router/iPhone connection...the lady on the phone just made my day :thumb:

al.

Levi

« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2012, 10:52 pm »
Simply plug an Ethernet cable into the back of your bdp-1 and the other end to your existing Internet router and call it the day. 

Fsonicsmith

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2012, 09:52 pm »
Simply plug an Ethernet cable into the back of your bdp-1 and the other end to your existing Internet router and call it the day. 

That's exactly what I ended up doing. But not directly. First I returned the D-Link to our local Microcenter (huge computer only store with very nice people ready to help) and this time I brought in the BDP-1 manual so they could get an idea what I needed the router for. I was eventually told that what I really needed was not a router at all, but a repeater. Well, I had decided to play it safe and bought not only the repeater ($50) but also a 50 foot run of ethernet cable so I could hardwire the connection from my ATT DSL modem/router to the BDP-1 if the repeater failed. The repeater did fail. Once installed and set up through my MacBook Pro laptop, my laptop continued to work, but suddenly my iPhone, my wife's iPhone, our iMac, and our iPad could not connect to the net. The only device that could still get internet once the repeater was installed was my laptop with which I had set up the repeater. I am sure there is a very good easy explanation for this, but it's beyond my ken. So then I ran the ugly ethernet cable from my den where the modem is across our foyer and across the listening room (far wall from foyer has equipment rack) and voila, now finally I have remote with iPad and iPhone easy as pie. So, I know what I have to do. I need to install an ethernet cable behind the walls into my listening room. That should be fun.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2012, 09:58 pm »
Hi

In the Mancave option with the router connected to the BDP are you sure you ran the Ethernet cable from one of the OUTPUTS of the router not the Input of the router?

Did I send you the 'how to' page on the router?

James

jjc1

« Reply #11 on: 12 Feb 2012, 10:38 pm »
Try a wireless adapter. That is what I use and it works just fine. There are many threads here already on this subject. If you want a full descrition of how the adapter works, let me know.

hawkeye99

« Reply #12 on: 12 Feb 2012, 11:20 pm »
Maybe this should be moved to the Child Boards as it's related to the BDP-1.

Fsonicsmith

« Reply #13 on: 13 Feb 2012, 02:57 pm »
Hi

In the Mancave option with the router connected to the BDP are you sure you ran the Ethernet cable from one of the OUTPUTS of the router not the Input of the router?

Did I send you the 'how to' page on the router?

James

James, not sure I follow you which may be because I was not clear and you did not follow me :D I have total success with the hardwire solution of running the ethernet cable. Now I just need to tidy things up by running the cable in-wall rather than across flooring. And no, I don't have the "how to". Could you PM that to me?

Try a wireless adapter. That is what I use and it works just fine. There are many threads here already on this subject. If you want a full descrition of how the adapter works, let me know.

Yes, I would much appreciate your help. Could you PM me the links to the threads or just lay it for me?

Maybe this should be moved to the Child Boards as it's related to the BDP-1.

I meant to post this to the BDP-1 stickie and failed.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 13 Feb 2012, 03:28 pm »
James, not sure I follow you which may be because I was not clear and you did not follow me :D I have total success with the hardwire solution of running the ethernet cable. Now I just need to tidy things up by running the cable in-wall rather than across flooring. And no, I don't have the "how to". Could you PM that to me?

Yes, I would much appreciate your help. Could you PM me the links to the threads or just lay it for me?

I meant to post this to the BDP-1 stickie and failed.

OK email me at jamestanner@bryston.com and I will send the man-cave option instructions.

james