Bugle for 78s, cart rec's?

Haldane

« on: 10 May 2004, 11:13 pm »
First of all, howdy, I'm new to this forum, but read (and post) on the Vinyl Asylum fairly regularly.

I currently use a Bugle for my vinyl.

Am putting together a table with an extra arm to be used for 78s.  My dad has some 78s left over from his childhood, plus I see them in the thrifts and so forth.

So, was thinking a pretty cheap & easy solution would be to use half of a Bugle as a mono preamp for 78s.  Questions:

(1) any reasonably-priced mono cart recommendations?
(2) any rec's for which EQ settings to use (to match the most common software)?
(3) anything else to keep in mind?

TIA, usw

Haldane

« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2004, 12:02 am »
BTW just saw the thread in which Jim mentioned the "Bugle Pro".

That looks very promising.

hagtech

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2004, 07:16 am »
Yes, how coincidental.  I should be receiving chassis panels any day now.  The "Bugle Pro" is exactly what you need.  It has two knobs for changing the EQ characteristics so you can compensate for just about any recording out there.  Also has a mono switch on back.  So you can use a stereo cart.

A mono cart will give you better performance, mainly due to the proper stylus size and shape.  The grooves are much larger on 78s.  I haven't been shopping around, so only know of the Helikon buzz.  I would think a Shure or an Ortofon would have something.

The Bugle Pro can be built as a DIY 1/2-kit.  It uses Bugle and Power Supply circuit boards in a chassis.  A bit of wiring for the select switches, but you get quite a bit of functionality for the money.  $395 fully assembled.  I'll post pics soon.

jh :)

Haldane

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2004, 06:56 pm »
Quote from: hagtech
Yes, how coincidental.  I should be receiving chassis panels any day now.  The "Bugle Pro" is exactly what you need.  It has two knobs for changing the EQ characteristics so you can compensate for just about any recording out there.  Also has a mono switch on back.  So you can use a stereo cart.

A mono cart will give you better performance, mainly due to the proper stylus size and shape.  The grooves are much larger on 78s.  I haven't been shopping around, so only know of the Helikon buzz.  I would think ...
Groovy.

OK, one more question: will the Bugle Pro have enough inputs, and a selector switch, so switching from my 78 arm to my microgroove arm won't require interconnect fiddling?  If not, could I build in a switch that wouldn't degrade signal?

hagtech

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2004, 07:03 am »
The "Pro" won't have two sets of inputs, but you could certainly add them on your own.  I don't like switches for such low level signals, but sometimes you just don't have a choice.

jh :)