What to upgrade?

uncouth

What to upgrade?
« on: 9 Feb 2012, 09:37 pm »
I have a rather modest newbie system. Was hoping to hear some opinions on what the weakest link is/what needs upgrading. I understand that this is such a subjective topic, but I thought it'd be interesting to hear what suggestions come my way. I'm happy with the system as is, but you all know the nature of the hobby...   :green:

Logitech Squeezebox Touch (mostly phased out by the BDP-1)
Bryston BDP-1
Rega DAC
Rega P3-24 with TTPSU
Pro-Ject Tube Box SE II
Rega Apollo
Panamax Power Conditioner
Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum
Mapletree Audio Design Ear+ Super HD II
Grado SR-325is
Sennheiser HD600
Golden Ear Technology Triton Two Towers

WC

Re: What to upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2012, 10:14 pm »
Nice for Newbie.  :D

No suggestions, since it is higher end than anything I have.  :oops:

neekomax

« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2012, 10:18 pm »
Yeah, that sounds like a pretty dope system. How are the Golden Ear towers?

I'm a firm believer that speakers make, by far, the most difference in a system.

uncouth

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2012, 01:16 am »
Yeah, that sounds like a pretty dope system. How are the Golden Ear towers?

I'm a firm believer that speakers make, by far, the most difference in a system.

I wouldn't disagree with that. I auditioned quite a few sets, and was getting a tad fatigued until I heard the Tritons. Within my budget there were no comparisons and they outperformed a few priced well north of said budget. I think they're quite nice with the Rogue.

All that said, I'm sure they can be improved on. Hopefully down the road sometime.

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2012, 02:03 pm »
Nice system sir.
BTW, The Absolute Sound loved your Triton Two Towers.

"Was hoping to hear some opinions on what the weakest link is/what needs upgrading".
I would concentrate on your room acoustics and ways to isolate / damp your equipment. Visit some of the Site sponsors on the home page.

Good luck

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2012, 11:01 pm »
What to upgrade? 

Move out of "The Starting Block" circle with a system like that.   8)

Not sure how your pieces/room synergize.

cujobob

« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2012, 11:46 pm »
Outside of your headset rig, that's a tough one to upgrade from. I've never heard your speakers but they seem interesting. The biggest upgrades are likely to be found by getting better speakers and as always, treating your room properly. For me, moving to a smarter engineering approach for speakers made the difference. I use Gedlee Abbeys and because they integrate into rooms so well, it makes for a much more coherent sound. There's a user on this forum that sells some great monitors with Raal Ribbons that I've lusted over but the name escapes me. I think it was the Vapor Audio Cirrus. In a similar price range, I think they'd get better resolution.

uncouth

« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2012, 08:38 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, comments, and suggestions. I'll definitely look into room treatments before making any component decisions.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2012, 08:47 pm »

Nice gear list.

Let's see how you set it up. The room and proper setup make a huge difference. I would forget the gear now and work on the latter.

Rocket_Ronny

Stu Pitt

« Reply #9 on: 17 Feb 2012, 04:59 am »
Like everyone else...

Great gear.  I haven't heard all those pieces together, and I haven't heard the speakers.

The most important thing in a system (assuming no electrical miss matches - amp clipping, preamp/amp impedence mismatch, etc) is the room-speaker interface and room acoustics.  The speakers need to fit the room, and the room acoustics need to be ideal.

Play around with speaker positioning.

Even better, buy Jim Smith's Get Better Sound Book.  Easily the most effective $25 or so "tweak" I've bought. 

Mike82

« Reply #10 on: 25 Apr 2012, 03:07 pm »
I'd recommend you keep the gear you have since it is good stuff, but install a dedicated outlet and room treatments.

ajzepp

« Reply #11 on: 26 Apr 2012, 04:59 am »
Love the Grado and MAD combo...I love my 325s but expecting some RS1s to arrive tomorrow. The MAD is the amp I want to eventually pick up for both my Grados and my Beyerdynamic T1s. But the 325s are fantastic.

uncouth

« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2012, 04:42 pm »
I've neglected this topic long enough. Figured it was time to expand on it.

I'd love to upgrade to higher-end Grado's, but can't really justify it. The 325s and the MAD are indeed a great match.

I'm looking to upgrade the power outlets next, then treat the room. Both of those can definitely use some work. Thanks for the advice Stu, I'll pick that book up and see if I can tweak the positioning of the gear to better work within the listening room.

I did upgrade the Cronus by purchasing the new top cover, which allowed the installation of KT120's as my power tubes. I also replaced the preamp tube with a Mullard. The new tubes have made a world of difference.

I've also been in the market for an iPod dock so that the wife and kid can join in on the fun.

thuhaile

« Reply #13 on: 4 Sep 2012, 05:43 pm »
Nice system already.  No upgrade needed, imo :)

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #14 on: 5 Sep 2012, 05:19 am »
I'm going to be the naysayer here, and say that you could do better on the DAC.  I've heard the Rega Dac - and have owned an Apollo - and as rhythmic and listenable as the Rega digital stuff is, at the level of the rest of your gear, I think you'd be ready to move up & on. 

Obviously I favor my choice : a Bel Canto 1.5, though if I was doing it again I'd get the old Bel Canto 3 used, which is mostly the same thing as the 1.5, but has a better power supply & an IEC connector vs the cheapo DC barrel connector w/ cheapo switching power supply.
Bel Canto digital is highly rated including Stereophile. There's one on Audiogon for an asking price of $1,150 and another at Canuck asking $1,420 with the optional LNS power supply.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/da-converters-bel-canto-e-one-dac3-2012-08-30-digital-48104-ann-arbor-mi

I did an extensive A/B of the Rega Dac vs the BC 1.5 and the latter was really the winner in terms of clean & detailed sound. It was just more transparent, smooth, and "classy" vs the Rega - even messing w/ the filter options on the Rega.

Also being able to use these as a Preamp was a big bonus as well.  The one advantage of the 1.5 vs the old 3 is that the former has a headphone jack. If that's not important to you, I'd get the Dac 3.

hifitommy

« Reply #15 on: 9 Sep 2012, 06:44 pm »
for now, setup would be the way to improve.  speaker positioning (dont forget vertical angling) fore and aft, toe in (perhaps needed with the planar tweeters).  being on directly on axis may or may not be ideal, that takes experimentation. 

turntable support to minimize the cabinet speaking to the cartridge (air works best).  i do not see the cartridge mentioned.  i am partial to ortofon MCs.