Cross-over - is this how it's done?

MichaelHiFi

Cross-over - is this how it's done?
« on: 5 Feb 2012, 03:46 am »
I need, no doubt, a course in electronics 101. 102 too. I can't seem to connect the dots with a Dannt Richie designed corss-over in my Decade D1's. They are outboard capable of tri-amping. I installed Jantzen Superior Z's caps, but held off on exotic resistors (Mundorf).

Everything correct inside this box?

MichaelHiFi

Re: Cross-over - is this how it's done?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2012, 04:18 am »
Oh ya - the pic  :oops:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2012, 12:38 pm »

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2012, 02:20 pm »
The layout looks good.

There are several things I'd consider a bit of a drawback though.

In the tweeter circuit you have two different values making up that 12uF value. That is going to cause some phase shift that will give you a slight smearing sound. The Jantzen caps in general have some coloration but it tends to lend to the softening end of the scale. Some people really like it but it would not be the direction I would lean with that soft dome tweeter. They do have some small Platinum by-pass caps on them (looks like) and that will help bring the resolution levels up quite a bit.

The Jantzen inductors (if that is what they are) really shouldn't be used in a high end speaker. Those inductors are sold pretty cheaply from Parts Express. They are made in China, shipped all the way to Europe, then shipped to the US. So lots of shipping, a 5% import duty, and a dealer mark up or two and yet they are still cheaper than the competition. They are machine wound so labor is not a factor either. The reason that they are cheaper because they are recycled Copper and about 94 to 96% purity. By comparison inductors from Erse or Solen are 99.98% pure Copper.

If you want to take these up a level then the caps to replace are in the mid section. All of your mids are passing through those caps and it looks like some Solen poly caps. Lots of improvement there.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2012, 03:24 am »
Other than a change in the Caps to Jantzen, all parts are stock. Disappointing as this IS a high end speaker. Comparing to other speakers, it's the highs that set these guys apart. They are just short of greatness and perhaps the remaining "cheap Parts" keep them from being so.

Since this is your design, can you recommended exactly what should be there?  :|

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2012, 02:24 pm »
Other than a change in the Caps to Jantzen, all parts are stock. Disappointing as this IS a high end speaker. Comparing to other speakers, it's the highs that set these guys apart. They are just short of greatness and perhaps the remaining "cheap Parts" keep them from being so.

Since this is your design, can you recommended exactly what should be there?  :|

I'd be using Sonicaps in the tweeter and mid-range circuit. I'd be using Erse XQ inductors on the mid and tweeter too. That will give big improvements alone.

The wiring looks like Silver coated Copper and some of it has Black jacketing (not good). I'd replace all the wiring with solid core high purity Copper in polyethylene (I stock this wire). Also the woofer circuit uses four of those woofers and need a larger wire gauge. I'd use two runs of 16 gauge per leg for those woofers and twist the wire into a 4 wire braid to cancel out noise, especially for as long as the runs are. See example:

It wouldn't hurt to twist or braid the tweeter and mid wiring as well.

I'd also replace the lugs on the back of the speaker with tube connectors. Getting those lug bolts out of the signal path will be a considerable improvement.

I'd leave the Platinum by-pass caps in the tweeter circuit and all of the parts in the woofer circuit, but I would by-pass the cap in the woofer circuit with a .1uF Gen.2 Sonicap.

I'd also make sure that the speaker is completely lined wit No Rez. That would also be a big improvement in the bass response and lower vocals.

All of that should take clarity levels up several notches. It should get more cohesive and allow the drivers to not sound as much like individual drivers but more of a continuous and harmonious blend. Imaging and sound stage placement will come up a level. Highs will have a more natural sound. Bass response will be cleaner as well.  Across the board it will be a different speaker really.