The BHA-1: While Waiting for Godot - Speakers to Headphones & Back Again

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
One of the great things about participating on this forum is seeing how there are so many different strokes for different folks in audio. Not only are there as many opinions as members, but there also are as many experiences, and within those experiences as many applications.

My most recent experience with applications I explained in part withe the OP of the topic "Lessons Learned and Re-learned."

I got caught up in using headphones because they sparked my interest, but my actual use given the quality of my main system was confined largely to listening in the morning while my wife slept in order not to disturb her. So while I discovered headphones produce a different kind of listening experience, the primary reason for using them remained the same - private listening to maintain domestic tranquility.

In pursuing a better headphone experience, I found that I wasn't interested in owning a tube amp. So while waiting to hear the upcoming BHA-1, I bought a vintage receiver that turned out to be an excellent SS headphone amp, but which also prompted me to build a second system, including new stand mount speakers.

Now it turns out that this second system gives me the kind of sound I like at low volumes that does not disturb my sleeping wife. So I find myself now not using my headphones at all given that I have an alternative way of addressing a narrow application.

Some, sensibly, will ask, why did you make this silly round trip at all; why couldn't you have simply turned down your main system to avoid waking your wife? Lots of answers.

First, more often than not I can be dumb, which happens more often now that I'm crowding 70.

Second, but more importantly, my PMC MB2is played at low, non-wife-waking volumes just are not that satisfying to my ear.

Third, once I get an audio bit in my teeth, I pretty much have to follow it to a conclusion, logical or not.

Finally, pursuing any new audio system or application is a lot of fun and this pursuit was no different.

I still have great headphones and will use them no doubt, but for reasons different than my original application. If the BHA-1 proves to make my LCD-2s sound even better, i might find myself on a new headphone merry-go-round. LCD3s?

So setting aside the distinct probability that this recent roundabout experience is yet another exampe of my losing my last remaining brain cells, I have this question?

Am I alone in being someone who cooks up applications to justify new audio purchases, or who invents applications to justify purchases made?

Dave

myview

Yes Dave, I think you are the only one in the world  :lol:

Sasha

Second, but more importantly, my PMC MB2is played at low, non-wife-waking volumes just are not that satisfying to my ear.
What is it you find not satisfying at low volumes that second system gives you, can you elaborate?

DaveNote

What is it you find not satisfying at low volumes that second system gives you, can you elaborate?

I run my main system at a 9:00 o'clock volume, which I assume gets the large woofers on the MB2i moving. At lower volumes, while there is bass, it is not as full and as well defined as I have come to expect. On the smaller speakers, there seems to be a better balance in the frequency range than I hear at low volumes with the MB2is. I'm sorry for not being able to articulate this difference well.

Dave

DaveNote

Yes Dave, I think you are the only one in the world  :lol:

Myview, thank you for confirming my fear.  :cry:

Dave

Sasha

I run my main system at a 9:00 o'clock volume, which I assume gets the large woofers on the MB2i moving. At lower volumes, while there is bass, it is not as full and as well defined as I have come to expect. On the smaller speakers, there seems to be a better balance in the frequency range than I hear at low volumes with the MB2is. I'm sorry for not being able to articulate this difference well.

Dave
Quite good explanation, thank you.
Would you mind telling what your second system is, I was not able to find your posts describing it?

DaveNote

Quite good explanation, thank you.
Would you mind telling what your second system is, I was not able to find your posts describing it?

My second system: A Pioneer SX980 receiver (about 30 years old) bought as a vintage unit, B&W 685 stand mount speakers, zip cord speaker wires. Sources: Bryston BDP-1, iPod Classic.

My main system: Bryston 7BSST2 amps, BP26 preamp, BDP-1 digital player, Torus 15 Power Isolation, PMC MB2i speakers, Bryston speaker biwired speaker cables.

Dave

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."

Am I alone in being someone who cooks up applications to justify new audio purchases, or who invents applications to justify purchases made?

Dave

My goodness, but I certainly feel your pain with respect to this "condition" Dave  :D

Currently I am testing the waters of vintage audio systems with my big toe, perhaps this feeling will go away. I really have a weakness for vintage machine equipment and my only saving grace is that this equipment is heavy and takes up quite a bit of floor space - of which I am extremely limited at this time (for now anyway).

Be well...

DaveNote

My goodness, but I certainly feel your pain with respect to this "condition" Dave  :D

Currently I am testing the waters of vintage audio systems with my big toe, perhaps this feeling will go away. I really have a weakness for vintage machine equipment and my only saving grace is that this equipment is heavy and takes up quite a bit of floor space - of which I am extremely limited at this time (for now anyway).

Be well...

Laundrew, depending on what vintage gear you're considering, it is possible to stick your toe in at a modest price. I got my Pioneer SX980 for $250 by trading an unused piece of equipment. I ended up running up the price by buying new speakers, which I could have avoided doing if I had any level of restraint. On the other hand, the whole kit and kaboodle was less than the price of HD800 headphones. Now if that isn't manical rationalization, then what is?  :slap:

As to limited space, I, too, thought I had no room for a big receiver and speaker stands, but made some adjustments that worked out...where there is a will, etc. etc., especially for those possessed by audio demons.

Dave

Stu Pitt

Dave,

What DAC are you running with the BDP-1?  Do you have 2 BDPs (one in each system), or are you sharing one between both?

If you're looking for a great and inexpensive source for the Pioneer system, consider the HRT iStreamer.  It's $200, and is a plug and play digital source for your iPod/iPad/iPhone.  It's not a regular dock, as it extracts the digital stream through asynch and has an internal DAC.

I've been using one due to temporarily simplifying my system.  It's not as good as my Apple TV Gen 1 feeding my Rega DAC, but it'a still quite good.  Not just good for the money, but good in an absolute sense.  It's better than some DACs and CDPs I've heard for quite a bit more.

Just throwing that out there. 

DaveNote

Dave,

What DAC are you running with the BDP-1?  Do you have 2 BDPs (one in each system), or are you sharing one between both?

If you're looking for a great and inexpensive source for the Pioneer system, consider the HRT iStreamer.  It's $200, and is a plug and play digital source for your iPod/iPad/iPhone.  It's not a regular dock, as it extracts the digital stream through asynch and has an internal DAC.

I've been using one due to temporarily simplifying my system.  It's not as good as my Apple TV Gen 1 feeding my Rega DAC, but it'a still quite good.  Not just good for the money, but good in an absolute sense.  It's better than some DACs and CDPs I've heard for quite a bit more.

Just throwing that out there.

I am running a BDA-1 with one BDP-1. One of the BDA-1 outputs is connected to the aux of the Pioneer. The iPod is connected to one of the tape monitors of the Pioneer. I'll look into the HRT iStreamer to see if it might be a fit for me. Thanks, Stu.

Dave