Joy is a new pair of monos

nicodaemos

« on: 4 Feb 2003, 03:47 am »
You're looking at a very happy camper. :dance:  My monos (just regular, not xtreme .... yet) arrived the other day.  Gosh are they heavy!  I had to pick them up at UPS because of a screwup on their part -- well that and the fact that I couldn't wait any longer to get them.   :wink:  Anyway, the UPS dude and I had a hell of time pushing this cart up an incline to my car.  Having to then carry them from my carpad to the house nearly threw my back out.  But hey it was all worth it.  They look and sound great!  I especially like the blue led's.

I've had them now for a couple of days.  Out of the box they sounded pretty good.  But I've been playing them constantly since then trying to break them in and I can hear them slowly starting to open up with a fuller sound.  They seem to amaze me every day.  Really looking forward to several weeks from now when they open up even more.

I want to thank all of you who posted good information about them.  I bought them based on all the positive reviews I've seen here and other sites.  It was a little scary buying them without an audition, but I'm glad I took the plunge as they've been great so far.

Oh yeah, can't forget to mention how enjoyable it is to work with Klaus.  He's a character.  Great guy who's knowledgeable and easy to work with.  Thank you Klaus ... you rock, dude!!!

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2003, 05:05 am »
Thanks man,  but why does everybody have to complain about the size and weight ???  They're beefy, yes, but definitely easy to handle,  hehehe.

Late

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2003, 05:16 am »
Klaus,
Maybe because they are big and heavy?  Remember, not all of us are over 6 ft tall and over 230 lbs of solid muscle.  So I'd have to amend your statement that they are easy for "some" people to handle, especially if that person is named Klaus :-D

amandarae

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2003, 06:55 am »
Nicodaemos

Welcome to the club! :D  

I too have the monos (not the Xtremes, just the regular but with 360000 uF caps upgrade).  As far as I can remember, they sound good out of the box, but  the changes that you will encounter is not subtle after a week or so.  During this time, you will have a feel of its real sonic prowess.  The following weeks after that, it becomes very difficult to convince yourself that at some time you should eat since you been listening for God knows how long already.

:drums: Brace yourself for an "audiophillic" (if there's such a word) ride as your monos approaches the two month period.   Your looking into a very fruitful musical experience, my friend ( I decided long ago that people who design, manufacture, and own Odyssey products are my friends even if they don't know me).  Congrats!  :thumb:

My monos (at present) still amazes me everyday.  I think I need some more in the future (hello horizontal bi-amping!)

randog

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2003, 06:28 pm »
Just posted on Audiogon:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstran&1049558657&2&3&4&

Not quite as good as the deal I got on mine, mind you, but a deal just the same.  :D

Randog

nicodaemos

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2003, 03:59 am »
Thanks amandarae.  It looks like I'm going to have fun over the next few weeks as I really start to hear what these things are capable of!   :D

Got to pace myself though.  This little hobby can get expensive fast and I think I've already burned through my budget for 2004.   :(

Oh well, I'm just helping the economy -- at least that's how I justify it.  
 :wink: