Why does nobody demo the Simplex?

HooStat

Why does nobody demo the Simplex?
« on: 4 Feb 2012, 05:19 am »
It is very interesting.  I have contacted 4 dealers, none of whom has ever heard the Simplex.  It makes it impossible to do anything because nobody has an informed opinion.  Does anybody know anyone who has even bought one in the US?

The likely reason is that the Amadeus came out first and is a great value.  So, a table that is $800 less isn't very useful.  But still, I find this to be very interesting and frustrating. 

roscoeiii

Re: Why does nobody demo the Simplex?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2012, 05:29 am »
Well, in the US, I think you should ask the distributor. The table is available in Canada and elsewhere, but still waiting to hear about its availability in the US. Hopefully the admin for this circle can respond to this question as he is the US distributor.

HooStat

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2012, 05:53 am »
It is available.  I asked Mike (the distributor) and he is the one who helped me find dealers.  I called the two he recommended plus two others.  None had any interest in getting the Simplex in their showroom.  They raved about the Amadeus though.

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2012, 08:12 am »
That is mighty depresssing if it is the case that US dealers refuse to carry It. The Canadian ones sure do. A shame if the US dealers are preventing folks who can't afford an Amadeus from getting a Simplex, if that is in fact the case.
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2012, 06:38 am by roscoeiii »

HooStat

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2012, 01:17 pm »
I don't think "preventing" is the right word.  They were all happy to let me buy one.  They just have not invested their limited resources in purchasing one to demonstrate.  Again, this is 4 dealers in the US.  I may just be unlucky.

threadkiller

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2012, 04:44 am »
Agree with hoostat....I don't think anyone is keeping anyone from buying one..
But think of it this way... in any table line, there are price points and marketing to be considered.  Firebaugh's design, his dream, is the Amadeus, the brilliant Amadeus.  The Simplex is cute, fun, and sounds good.  But, it's not an Amadeus.
If it was $1000, I'd say buy it. But it's not.

Plink

« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2012, 06:00 am »
Actually, at the WT blog, Firebaugh says about the Simplex:

- In the words of our chief designer – William Firebaugh, “This is my all-time favorite turntable”.

Dealers have a right to choose what to sell in this case.  If I were a dealer, I am not sure I would carry two tables so close in price.

threadkiller

« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2012, 09:34 pm »
Your quote is a marketing statement only.
I wouldn't believe that anymore than Newt colonizing the moon.

Look at it this way, with his earlier products, the Well Tempered Classic and Well Tempered table, Firebaugh designed those.  His design now is the Amadeus. 

Mike Pranka

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 6 Mar 2012, 06:04 pm »
The Simplex is in stock in the US, now. Not all dealers have it at this point.
It is Firebaugh's favorite because it's the simplest.
Having had both in the same system, now, I'd say that the Amadeus lets through a bit more 'naturalness' or ease. It has a more 'grown up' sound. Maybe it's do to the larger diameter platter or longer tone arm or beefier main bearing housing.. or the two piece plinth. Probably a bit of everything. This is no slight of the Simplex, though. With the tone arm adjusted properly, it makes many fancy/complicated 'tables sound rather staid and uninteresting. It might be useful to compare Simplex/DPS with Amadeus at some point..

Mike

Shakeydeal

« Reply #9 on: 6 Mar 2012, 07:49 pm »
Mike,

Why the change in the tonearm design on the Simplex and Versalex? I am referring to the arm going "through" the golf ball instead of "attached to it".

Shakey

roscoeiii

« Reply #10 on: 6 Mar 2012, 10:16 pm »
Thanks for those details Mike.

code4246

« Reply #11 on: 6 Mar 2012, 11:03 pm »
Mike,

Why the change in the tonearm design on the Simplex and Versalex? I am referring to the arm going "through" the golf ball instead of "attached to it".

Shakey

Simplifying manufacturing/cost cutting ?

Mike Pranka

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 6 Mar 2012, 11:32 pm »
Mike,

Shakey

It's just simpler to run the arm tube through the pivot than running it into a separate piece that connects to the pivot. Both methods function the same. If it can be simplified without affecting functionality, Bill will do it.

Best,

Mike