Spatial Black Hole - Active Bass Trap?

mogulman

Re: Spatial Black Hole - Active Bass Trap?
« Reply #80 on: 14 Mar 2012, 02:09 am »
After reading this thread I decided to buy a Black Hole.  My room is 15x21x10.  It has a 40 Hz suckout and two peaks at 27 Hz and 50 Hz.  I have GIK 244 x4 in the front wall and 242's on the side walls and ceiling.  They haven't solved the suckout.  I received the Black Hole yesterday and was surprised at what a big difference it made.  I put the Black Hole in the back corner .
The effect is hard to describe but it's like the back of the room disappeared and the bass was only coming front the front of the room.  I have an SVS PB12 Ultra and was able to turn up the sub because of the additional clarity.  The midrange was also improved because of the reduction in bass boom. Highly recommend.

Rclark

« Reply #81 on: 14 Mar 2012, 07:03 pm »
Fantastic!

Can you tell if bass is also removed from beyond the wall past the Black Hole? That's one of my big curiousities with this.

From your description it sounds like a neat effect. And better than your cluster of traps huh?

Would you also try it with the traps removed entirely? Maybe you dont even need them?

Pics would be awesome too :thumb:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #82 on: 14 Mar 2012, 07:16 pm »
After reading this thread I decided to buy a Black Hole.  My room is 15x21x10.  It has a 40 Hz suckout and two peaks at 27 Hz and 50 Hz.  I have GIK 244 x4 in the front wall and 242's on the side walls and ceiling.  They haven't solved the suckout.  I received the Black Hole yesterday and was surprised at what a big difference it made.  I put the Black Hole in the back corner .
The effect is hard to describe but it's like the back of the room disappeared and the bass was only coming front the front of the room.  I have an SVS PB12 Ultra and was able to turn up the sub because of the additional clarity.  The midrange was also improved because of the reduction in bass boom. Highly recommend.
Please post before / after data.

mogulman

« Reply #83 on: 14 Mar 2012, 10:31 pm »
OK, Even if I'm in another room the bass is better, I don't know if that answers the question about the back wall.  Removing the 244’s is hard work.  The 242's are more for first reflections. 
I took my SVS out today and put in my F113. The F113 bass is great my chair is now vibrating when I listen to Chill / downtempo music, Sonic massage.  Yeah!!
OK I have a Omnimic will try for some data for you guys.

Habs Fan

« Reply #84 on: 15 Mar 2012, 04:19 am »

OK I have a Omnimic will try for some data for you guys.
Thanks I look forward to seeing the results.

Rclark

« Reply #85 on: 15 Mar 2012, 05:06 am »
oh very cool! Yeah post those up.

If you can take measurements with and without your traps, then please do so  :thumb: (and if you could please experiment and find out if it quiets bass outside the room).

You have now become the guinea pig.  :lol:

mogulman

« Reply #86 on: 15 Mar 2012, 03:35 pm »
Will try and get data on Sunday.  Busy week.

mogulman

« Reply #87 on: 18 Mar 2012, 09:14 pm »
Measured with F113 sub with and with Black Hole (BH).  There is very little difference. I uploaded the images but I don't see them.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #88 on: 15 Jul 2012, 01:23 am »
This thread kinda' fell into a Black Hole. . .:D

Anyone have additional input or before/after plot images?

JDUBS

« Reply #89 on: 15 Jul 2012, 03:05 am »
6moons didn't seem to love it and they like everything. 

Jim

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #90 on: 15 Jul 2012, 01:40 pm »
It seems their test environment was a little misguided...using a product designed primarily (for best results) for a rear-wall/side-wall interface without a rear wall.

RoyMercer

« Reply #91 on: 18 Nov 2013, 03:10 am »
Unfortunately this thread is old and did not last long. Should I have started a new one?  I have well over 30 Gik traps in my room and use an antimode 8033. The traps made a huge difference (I should mention my listening room is in my basement) but no where near what I would call good and I don't believe it's the fault of GIK. For what I spent on traps I doubt any another brand would do any better and suspect worse when you consider what you get from GIK. Where the traps really shine is the reduction of comb filtering. My largest problems are 60hz and below. It looks like the BH also does well in regard to comb filtering. Now I am debating if a third subwoofer would do just as good. A little bit cheaper and I would gain a little SPL.

I suspect Spatial customer support will be top notch too. That could change after a purchase but they have been extremely helpful responding to all the email questions.

I agree 6moons did not have the proper room for this device. I am not sure about 6moons liking everything. Look at the Modwright Oppo BDP-105 review they completed. If you read what Modwirght's customers say including myself,  they are not even close. A lot of these types of reviews are subjective by nature, too.