Killer deal on some large line sources.

Danny Richie

Killer deal on some large line sources.
« on: 3 Feb 2012, 10:55 pm »
I have a couple of buddies with Epiphany Audio 20/21's that are looking to sell them.

Here is an old pic I have of one of them.

These were the top models in a product line that I designed for them. They won quite a few awards including an Editors Choice award and a Golden Ear award at the Absolute Sound.

They sold for $26,900 a pair originally. If anyone is interested please give me a call. I can get you into a pair for prices down in the 4 figure range. Yes, less than 1/3rd of retail. 940-592-3400

Danny Richie

Re: Killer deal on some large line sources.
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2012, 11:54 pm »
I found this info that I didn't even know about until today. Looks like they had the best sound of the show in Thailand.

http://www.soundscapehifi.com/bkshow2004c.htm

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2012, 01:33 am »
I can vouch for the ASL Hurricanes (as used in the system above) driving the LS-9s.  They do sound nice with 200 watts of tube power.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2012, 01:36 am »
Sorry Danny, just realized these are not LS-9s. They do look sharp though  Moderator can remove these post before being displayed.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2012, 02:05 am »
Danny how much power is needed to drive these typically?? Are these super efficient or no??? :scratch:

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2012, 02:48 am »
Ed????????????????????

What are you thinking?  :dunno:

Pez

« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2012, 03:15 am »
I think it's less thinking and more dreaming.  :P :wink:

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 4 Feb 2012, 05:31 am »
Bill, no worries.

The sensitivity is 96db.

nickd

« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2012, 06:32 pm »
Those are a lot of fun for the money, best top end and imaging I have ever heard in my room. I should have kept them.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2012, 09:01 pm »
There are still some deals to be had on these and cheaper than you'd think.

audionut101

« Reply #10 on: 17 Apr 2012, 09:23 pm »
Danny, just curious on your definition of "deals to be had". 

1. How would these speakers match up against the LS9s that you designed? 
2. what kind of value would these used pairs be compared to used LS9s that others seem to be selling them for?

thanks in advance.

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2012, 10:28 pm »
Danny, just curious on your definition of "deals to be had". 

1. How would these speakers match up against the LS9s that you designed? 
2. what kind of value would these used pairs be compared to used LS9s that others seem to be selling them for?

thanks in advance.

These speakers sold originally for $27,000 a pair. Deals to be had are about 1/3rd of that price.

These speakers use smaller drivers than the LS-9's. So with more drivers sharing the load the speed is greater. Meaning that for a given SPL level each driver does less, moves less, and has less stored energy. So the speed at which they return to rest is faster (greater speed).

So these have some edge in resolution levels. They also have a sensitivity advantage as they have 96db sensitivity verses 91db sensitivity for the LS-9.

Where the LS-9 has an advantage is in low frequency extension. The LS-9 will play to a -3db from 20Hz to 25Hz in most rooms while the 20/21's would only reach down to the mid to low 30's. But the 20/21's were intended to be used with subs.

And there is a Rosewood pair that has never been played. There is a pair in Mappa Burl. And there is a pair in flat black that includes the dual 18" sub-woofer (yep two 18" woofers).

nickd

« Reply #12 on: 17 Apr 2012, 10:34 pm »
Hi Audio Nut,

I have owned both the 20/21's and the LS-9, the Pips are just amazing on top. Details and soundstaging that will blow your mind. Better than anything at any price from 3khz and up. That said the mids and low bass in the LS9 are in a different leauge than the pips. The 20/21's have to have a sub, with the LS-9 a sub is truly an just an option.

Both are very rare used only a few pair of both models exist. the pips usually sell for more because they were almost 30k retail. the LS'9 are mostly DIY builds and if you have a large enough room you would be hard pressed to do better if you own them so sales are rare. :(

Price is what the market will bear. They are expensive to crate and ship. Thankfully most people don't know Danny supports both models with parts. I bought my pips wiyh a bad tweeter and got quite a sweet deal. spent the better part of a day taking them appart to fix it. Not for the faint hearted. :lol:

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jun 2012, 03:18 am »
There are still three pairs of these 20/21's available. Price for each pair is in the $9,000 range.

One pair is a Black mat finish and includes the dual 18" sub cub. Yep, they had a matching sub with a pair of 18" woofers in a sealed box with a big amp and transform circuit. They pound.

One pair is in Mappa Burl with a Black front face.

One pair is in Rosewood.

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jul 2012, 02:57 pm »
Hey guys, Here is another thought. If you really want a sweet deal on a pair of 20/21's then I have a pair of Rosewood cabinets and just enough woofers to build a pair out. I could order some more tweeters for them and sell you everything you need to assemble them yourself. You could build out your own pair of these for about 25% of what they sold for completed.

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jul 2012, 05:12 pm »
Okay a pair of cabinets just like the pair pictured.

All parts, drivers, crossovers, wire, etc. You assemble it all yourself. $6,975 plus shipping.

Now that is a tough deal to beat!

Folks, these speakers once sold for $27,900 a pair.  :o

HT cOz

« Reply #16 on: 7 Jul 2012, 01:35 am »
Anyone need a kidney?  Hahaha