Loving it when you have the right tool

mcgsxr

Loving it when you have the right tool
« on: 1 Feb 2012, 11:43 pm »
Not specifically a reno, but working on car parts for my 1969 Thunderbird.

Bought some spare used parts to customize, while retaining all the original parts.

One of the parts is an armrest for the front bench seat.  I want cupholders, so i am going to fab it up.  The guy who pulled the parts out of the donor car in Florida had to cut off the seat mounts, as he could not remove the 4 tapered screws.

I looked it over the other night, and could not loosen them either.  Took the piece out to the garage and liberally sprayed wd40.  Then tonight mounted the piece in the bench vise.  Got out the impact driver (manual, not air) and a hammer.  Put on the safety glasses and work gloves.

Gave each screw a good pounding, and 10 minutes later - success.

Love it when you take your time, leverage the right tools, and solve a problem!

On to cutting up the armrest to allow mounting modern cupholders.

Bizarroterl

Re: Loving it when you have the right tool
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2012, 04:12 pm »
2 right tools:

I was rewiring a 1905 home in Tucson.  All the wiring was in the attic and I had to drill down through top plates and mid-wall blocking to run the new wiring.  Walls were plaster and lath and the attic was lets say "height challenged".  Ended up buying a Porter cable 3HP right angle drill.  With the right self feed bits and extensions drilling those holes was easy.  That was 15 years ago and I swear I'd still be in that attic if it wasn't for that drill.  I refer to it as the wrist breaker.  It never has but it would given the chance.  ;)

Recently bought a Dewalt track saw.  I wanted a table saw but I don't have the room.  Cutting sheet goods is simple, accurate, and the cuts are super clean.  Now if I had a table saw I'd still use the track saw for cutting sheet goods.