Help me choose a new CD Player

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Help me choose a new CD Player
« Reply #20 on: 5 Feb 2012, 12:02 pm »
As there is tons more information on a DVD/Blu-Ray disc than CD, the individual tracks ("grooves") are much closer, making tracking harder.  So in theory they should track better than a CD transport mechanism.

But cheap players are made cheaply and so can have a limited lifespan.

And sorry to say, there is various sound quality issues associated with the transport, jitter and sampling rates just to name a couple.  At this price range you really should consider all the details.

srb

« Reply #21 on: 5 Feb 2012, 03:34 pm »
As there is tons more information on a DVD/Blu-Ray disc than CD, the individual tracks ("grooves") are much closer, making tracking harder.  So in theory they should track better than a CD transport mechanism.

CD lasers (780nm wavelength), DVD lasers (650nm wavelength) and Blu-ray lasers (450nm wavelength) are optimized to the depth of the pits on their respective read-only media type, so in theory a CD laser should have better tracking and error correction than playing a CD on a DVD or Blu-ray player, which is why some higher-end universal players have dual laser assemblies.

Steve
« Last Edit: 5 Feb 2012, 09:50 pm by srb »

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #22 on: 5 Feb 2012, 03:40 pm »
Steve thanks! Thats great info, its exactly opposite of what I thought would logically be the case...wow! :thumb:

Keremz

« Reply #23 on: 5 Feb 2012, 04:11 pm »
hi guys,

appreciate all your replies...keep them coming   :D

mhconley

« Reply #25 on: 5 Feb 2012, 09:48 pm »
How about a $2400 CD player for $575 shipped?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=102743.msg1042355#msg1042355

Martin

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #26 on: 5 Feb 2012, 10:20 pm »
There is a used Turandot being sold here on AC that would probably do you right.

rcag_ils

« Reply #27 on: 5 Feb 2012, 11:40 pm »
Usually when a CD transport mistracks you would hear it, it doesn't matter how expensive or how cheap the player is, paying over $30.00 for a player is too much.

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #28 on: 6 Feb 2012, 12:43 am »
I know it's not what you asked, but I went through exactly this same issue several months ago when my old player quit.  After looking at and listening to several of the models that you mentioned, and have been mentioned by others, I finally went with ripping my disks to FLAC and using a Squeezebox Touch player, with my existing external DAC.

The result sounds so much better than my old player, and I am a convert (finally) to storing my music on a server.

I use dbPoweramp to rip, and one advantage is I know when I get a bit-for-bit accurate image.  With the players, you never really know what's going on between tracking and error correction.  Which may be one reason for the better sound.

In any case, I'm glad I didn't buy another player.

vhiner

« Reply #29 on: 6 Feb 2012, 01:50 am »
If I were you, I'd really try to spend that money on a good DAC. There are plenty of sub $400 cd spinners that you can add to the DAC that will tide you over until someone creates an easy-to-use ripper/server or there's a high resolution streaming service. If that doesn't work for you, I'd lean toward the Oppo.

tipatina

« Reply #30 on: 6 Feb 2012, 02:23 am »
It would be worth a listen to the Cambridge 840. I really like mine. Very nice sound and no reliability problems for me in the 5 or 6 years of ownership.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #31 on: 6 Feb 2012, 04:38 am »
DAC technology continues to change quickly, don't invest heavily in it

It may change quickly but it sure doesn't improve very quickly. In fact, it seems like the more it tries to win the numbers race the more it all starts to sound the same. Maybe that's why some people can't hear the difference between a Walmart DVD player and a dedicated cd transport. Homogenization.

I would buy the best Dac that I could afford and start saving up for a really good transport. Or, just keep saving up for a really nice cd player.

Emil

« Reply #32 on: 15 Feb 2012, 06:42 pm »
Get a inexpensive $30.00 DVD player with digital outputs at Walmart, then get a good DAC.

What about jitter? Is this still an issue when  considering a transport and dac?
When I had a seperate transport and dac many years ago, the Monarchy DIP improved things tremendously.

audiobat

« Reply #33 on: 20 Feb 2012, 10:46 pm »
Buy cheap DVD = get cheap sound.

jackman

« Reply #34 on: 20 Feb 2012, 11:38 pm »
Don't recall your budget but I would look at those new Oppo players.  I hear they sound pretty good stock, and when you free up the funds, you can send it to Modwright to get it upgraded.  They are very well specd and you can use them for movies as well as various digital formats. 

Others have given some good suggestions.  A few really nice CDP's have sold recently in the classified section.  Even though I'm moving towards a computer based system, I'm keeping my RAM CDP which was upgraded with a superior grouding scheme and Bybees, as well as an upgraded clock and power supply.  It has a Hammond transformer and Philips transport.  A bit long in the tooth but still sounds good to me.  Especially with the new Raytheon NOS tubes I just installed!  Not for sale but I've seen them used and they are a real bargain. 

http://www.responseaudio.com/RAM%20cd25.htm

Another good sounding tubed CDP, selling for pretty cheap is the nORh in the classified section.  Not state of the art but I had one and thought it sounded very good.  Don't know how these compare to a cheap DVD/DAC combo but I tried my RAM CDP as a transport and it sounded much better than the cheap DVD players I tested it against (Sony, Samsung, etc.).  Perhaps the new DAC's are more immune to bad transports than the older ones were but IME, good transports sound better than cheap DVD players used as a transport.

Photon46

« Reply #35 on: 21 Feb 2012, 12:05 am »
There are many good cd players available at your price point, especially if you find a well maintained used unit. You've received many good suggestions, but I would advise caution when buying a new unit with the intention of having it modified. Not that modded units can't sound great, they often do. I've bought two RAM modified components myself over the years. The potential downside lies in wait when you try to sell them. You're likely going to lose a much larger proportion of your purchase price with a modded unit compared to a stock unit (if you paid retail for the mods.) If you find a used modded unit you're interested in, you can often purchase it for substantial savings.
  One great player that gets little press and discussion is the Arcam FMJ CD37. They retail for $2300, but you can find clean used units, demos, and factory b stock for around $1200. I bought one to use while my Marantz Sa11S1 was being repaired and have been absolutely bowled over at how great it sounds. TechRadar's review is spot-on with my listening impressions.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/cd-players-and-recorders/arcam-fmj-cd37-395096/review
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2012, 12:13 am by Photon46 »

2gumby2

« Reply #36 on: 21 Feb 2012, 01:26 pm »
Photon46 - Agree on the Arcam. I bought one based on the recommendation of a HiFi salesman at the store I bought it from. I was so impressed that I bought another one for one of my other systems. There are a lot of good CD players out there, but the Arcam FMJ CD37 is the best I've ever heard.

audiobat

« Reply #37 on: 21 Feb 2012, 02:55 pm »
I have not had good results with "modded" electronics period, probably why you can get a "good deal" on them.
I have always tried to be honest in my audio dealings, especially when I sell something, others will sell you a pig.
These people who modify electronics vary in ability or in just understanding what the original manufacturer was accomplishing in any circuit. Mods have the ability to go very wrong and do so more than you know. The unfortunate part is when you buy something there is the possibility that you are getting someone's pig dumped on you.

I read on forums so many guys buying used / no name / modified equipment, employing the "hope over knowledge" philosophy. 

Indiansprings

« Reply #38 on: 1 Mar 2012, 12:38 am »
I have a couple OPPO 971H players I use in my systems. Sure I would love to have a OPPO Modwright 95. My 971's sound good. :)

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #39 on: 2 Mar 2012, 09:31 pm »
 If you are serious and can afford it  get the Bryston BCD1 . There are a few left( I think) Ask James Tanner . This unit is the Linn Sondek in the CD world....... :thumb.....:IMO