Help me choose a new CD Player

Keremz

Help me choose a new CD Player
« on: 31 Jan 2012, 05:29 pm »
Hi Guys,

here is the million dollar question...
Its time for me to get a new CD player. The one I am using now is Marantz CD 6002 and I am so grown out of it.
The budget is around $1000 but can go up a little more if there will be a big difference.

So far what I have in mind are as follows:

Marantz pearl lite
Oppo 95 (only the audio part is of interest to me, other parts are just a bonus)
Rega Apollo
Audiolab CD8200

I have a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum Integrated tube amp and I listen to Jazz. Speakers are Usher 8571 diamonds.

help me choose one from the above or I am open to all suggestions

Well, any ideas, any help?  :)))

thanx

Kerem

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: Help me choose a new CD Player
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2012, 05:58 pm »
Is used ok?
If so, my recommendation is the Resolution Audio Opus 21. I've seen them as low as $1200. It's not a new design but gets digital as right as I've heard it.
That being said, instead of replacing your old cdp, give some thought to a music server. A new Mac Mini and fairly good dac can be had at your price point.

groovybassist

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2012, 06:45 pm »
I replied in the other thread as well - I'd lean toward the Oppo or Audiolab.

If you're considering used, I will be selling a mint Naim CD5X as I'm moving to mostly streaming music.  Would be a bit over your budget but not too much, if it strikes your fancy.  Good luck in the search.

-Mike

drjjpdc

« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2012, 03:02 am »
The Rega Apollo is very nice. But you also need to listen to the Emotiva CD Player.

http://emotiva.com/erc2.shtm

Don't let the low price scare you; they sell direct so when you compare their prices they are really up against players with 1 or 2 markups.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2012, 03:13 am »
The audio magazine writer/reviewers seem to think the latest $1000 OPPO BDP 95 is a very fine unit.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2012, 04:13 am »
Why not add a DAC instead?  Way more for your money not having to pay for a transport you already own.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2012, 07:48 am »
Modded Oppo 93 from the Upgrade Company, $1300.

Very impressive background, warantee, 100% buy back guarantee, scope of mods done, etc.  And this is the cheapest player they recommend.

As soon as one of my players die it will be my next.

Delta Wave

« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2012, 11:49 am »
The Rega seemed so cheap to me, I compared it to a few new and used models that my friend had at his stereo shop, I ended up with the NAD 565BEE. It was down to either that or the Rega stand-alone DAC. I thought the NAD sounded a lot more musical and just plain better then the Rega. I don't hate digital any more.  :green:

2gumby2

« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2012, 01:51 pm »
Rega just came out with the Apollo-R model. Looks very nice and has a Wolfson DAC. Also, take a look at the Onkyo C-7070. I think it will be released soon.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #9 on: 1 Feb 2012, 01:54 pm »
Hi Guys,

here is the million dollar question...
Its time for me to get a new CD player. The one I am using now is Marantz CD 6002 and I am so grown out of it.
The budget is around $1000 but can go up a little more if there will be a big difference.

So far what I have in mind are as follows:

Marantz pearl lite
Oppo 95 (only the audio part is of interest to me, other parts are just a bonus)
Rega Apollo
Audiolab CD8200

I have a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum Integrated tube amp and I listen to Jazz. Speakers are Usher 8571 diamonds.

help me choose one from the above or I am open to all suggestions

Well, any ideas, any help?  :)))

thanx

Kerem

The highly regarded Marantz SA8004 is $1K, right on the money as far as your budget goes.  Guess there's a short supply, so nobody is discounting even a penny.

Mr645

« Reply #10 on: 1 Feb 2012, 02:00 pm »
For what it's worth, the one disc player I wish I still had was my Carver sd/a-490t.  Went from that to a Marantz DVD player, eventually sold the Marantz and kept the Carver, then went to BluRay and finally gave in to the wife and kept just one disc player and due to the system being in the living room, the BluRay player won out. 

Cheeseboy

« Reply #11 on: 2 Feb 2012, 05:11 pm »
Perhaps a used CD player with a well designed cd transport, like the old JVCs and pair it with a solid DAC.  It would give you the flexibility to begin building your media storage system. 

I believe the Cambridge CD players allow you to use the inboard DAC for computer file processing. 

I have a poor opinion of the Emotiva CD players loading system.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 3 Feb 2012, 03:23 pm »
My last CDP was a $1000 MSRP thatI picked up new at B-stock for use as a transport.  It had very good credentials, but it died in 2 years.

If you want to try used, recommend a cheaper CEC belt drive for a transport and yes, a separate DAC (DAC technology continues to change quickly, don't invest heavily in it).

Why a CDP?  A cheap PC can make for a perfectly good music server, just add a USB DAC.  And a CDP can't do DVD/Blu-ray/3-D (why limit yourself?).

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #13 on: 3 Feb 2012, 04:38 pm »
I really have enjoyed the crystal clarity of my Virtue Audio Piano M1 CD player. Reviewers mention how great the build is and how it can be customized to no end for a fabulous WAF. But don't forget the main thing is its an awesome sound. Very full top to bottom nothing flares out just the music comes through cleanly and toe tappingly good!! :thumb:

audiobat

« Reply #14 on: 3 Feb 2012, 10:08 pm »
A Jolida JD-100 with tube output at a bit less than $1000 is a best buy. No fancy crap just warm natural sound.

rcag_ils

« Reply #15 on: 3 Feb 2012, 10:38 pm »
Get a inexpensive $30.00 DVD player with digital outputs at Walmart, then get a good DAC.

Delta Wave

« Reply #16 on: 4 Feb 2012, 07:24 am »
Get a inexpensive $30.00 DVD player with digital outputs at Walmart, then get a good DAC.

With stuff like that you're sure to have some tracking issues. You get what you pay for.

rcag_ils

« Reply #17 on: 4 Feb 2012, 03:52 pm »
Millions of $30.00 DVD players track just fine, if you get one with problem, go back and exchange for the same one. Walmart has good return and exchange policy. No need to pay too much for a transport.

The Rega transport probably cost about $20.00 at best. Maybe even $5.00

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #18 on: 4 Feb 2012, 06:09 pm »
Great idea....do you think a regular old DVD player would track better than a stock CD player??? Or a cheap Blu-ray???
 I don't know technically which is better or if there is any difference at all- probably not...but had to ask??

rcag_ils

« Reply #19 on: 4 Feb 2012, 06:16 pm »
Great idea....do you think a regular old DVD player would track better than a stock CD player??? Or a cheap Blu-ray???
 I don't know technically which is better or if there is any difference at all- probably not...but had to ask??

Get a new cheap blue-ray, so you will have the options to play regular CD, DVD, and Blue-ray DVD, if you are into music DVD, which I am not into. They all track fine.