XLD vs itunes AIFF, a clear winner

timind

• permanent vacation
XLD vs itunes AIFF, a clear winner
« on: 30 Jan 2012, 07:03 pm »
The other night I was listening to Roger Water's Amused To Death through itunes and thought I noticed less of the "Q" sound effect. I popped in the cd to do a side by side comparison and sure enough the spatial effect was greatly diminished through the Mac Mini. All of the music seemed to be there but lacked that spatial openess the Q sound provides.
A few weeks ago I installed XLD on the Mini so this morning I decided to rerip the cd with XLD to check the accuracy of the itunes rip. The difference is not subtle. I used track 12, Three Wishes, from Amused To Death as the test track. On this track a woman's spoken voice is located about 3 feet  out from and two feet in front of the left speaker. With itunes standard AIFF, the voice was nearly centered between the speakers. After reripping the track with XLD, the voice took it's proper location outside the speaker plane.
This tells me in order to get a bit perfect or closer to bit perfect rip, music needs to be ripped through XLD and not simply itunes. The good news is bit perfect copies are possible. The bad news is I'll have to rerip the 500 or so cds using XLD in order to get it.
If you aren't familiar with this cd or Q sound, what it does is throw sounds all over the room for effect. When things are set up correctly, you can actually hear sounds directly behind you. It's a gimmick, but pretty cool.
My system is the Mac Mini which feeds a Monarchy Super Dip via the toslink out, which inturn feeds a PS Audio DLIII via coax. CDP is a Resolution Audio CD-50 which has a high quality variable out to allow level matching.
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2012, 09:57 pm by timind »

Crimson

Re: XLD vs itunes AIFF, a clear winner
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2012, 02:20 am »
Did you play the XLD re-rip through XLD or iTunes? Also, have you tried playing the iTunes rip through XLD?  I'm very familiar with that album and haven't experienced what you are describing. Using an iTunes rip through Amarra or PM sounds as good as (if not better than) the original CD.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2012, 02:34 am »
I played the XLD rip through itunes. Did not play the itunes rip through XLD. In fact I haven't used XLD for playback, honestly never thought to.
The XLD rip sounds as good as I hoped for so not sure how much I'll play with it. As the Mac is used without a monitor, I only listen with iphone as remote. Not much experimentation going on there.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2012, 03:03 am »

JDUBS

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2012, 03:16 am »
Yep.

REALLY?  That changes everything!!!  j/k  :lol:

-Jim

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2012, 03:37 am »
Did you play the XLD re-rip through XLD or iTunes? Also, have you tried playing the iTunes rip through XLD?  I'm very familiar with that album and haven't experienced what you are describing. Using an iTunes rip through Amarra or PM sounds as good as (if not better than) the original CD.

What format did you use to rip to itunes?
Most cds sound fine but this particular cd can really show the difference without having to strain.

coverto

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2012, 03:41 am »
Were there any surface scratches on the CD you were using for comparison, or was the surface flawless?

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2012, 12:33 pm »
The cd has been used over the years with normal wear, nothing drastic. It plays fine and also ripped fine.

coverto

« Reply #9 on: 1 Feb 2012, 03:27 am »
Would be interesting to hear your results using a CD with a pristine surface. I've heard it said that with pristine CDs the advantage of XLD over iTunes is minimal. But I've always been too lazy - or maybe intimidated by the XLD user interface - to verify.  8)