Lessons Learned and Re-Learned

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."

sfraser

Re: Lessons Learned and Re-Learned
« Reply #41 on: 9 Feb 2012, 02:10 pm »
  Let me through a monkey wrench in here. There is no best anything, just different. What one perceives as better  may not to someone else.
   Over the years i have heard mega buck systems that were awfull tomy ears. Then less expensive systems that had emotionalimpact. Go figure.
    If you think about it other than digital what really new circuit designs are out there. Vintage gear circuits are very similar if not thesame as the new counterparts of today.
   If it was a Class "A" piece then well it should be today as well. Granted there may be new parts such as caps and things but the circuit designs are almost equal.
    It does not have to be the latest and the greatest to sound good. Give me a pair of vintage Mirage M3si with a Krell KSA 100 amp, a Garrad TT and a Audio Research SP9 preamp and will put it up against any new gear. A classic sound that is never outdated. There are many more classic combos out there. Just have to know what they are.
   Will it be perceived as better by some  or just different. So where to go what to do ? There is nothing like hands on listening experience. Expose yourself to all you can. Learn the differences  or individual components can and do offer great sound.
    The best consumer is an educated consumer.

charles

I always like James's quote regarding amplifiers and amplifier design. "They are nothing more than straight wire (barbed wire) with gain, the trick is to remove the barbs" Or something similar to that.