Lessons Learned and Re-Learned

Stu Pitt

Re: Lessons Learned and Re-Learned
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jan 2012, 11:37 pm »
There's a lot of great vintage stuff.  There's also a lot of great inexpensive 'entry level' stuff out there.  I think the bottom end of the market is booming due to the current state of the economy.  With all that being said...

There's definitely an exponential law of diminishing returns in this hobby.  Sound quality isn't the only determining factor of cost.  Actually, I think it isn't related at all except for one small detail - better quality (read more expensive) parts generally sound better.  What we're truly paying for is labor and customer support.

A product being made in Canada by Canadians earning an honest wage for honest work isn't cheap.  A 20 year no-bullshit warranty isn't cheap.  A company that'll fix and/or upgrade a component for pretty much cost adds to the overall cost of a new item.

I'm pretty sure a component made with the same parts and using the same manufacturing techniques, only this time made in a 3rd world country and carrying a severely limited 3 year warranty would cost quite a bit less.  Perhaps 1/3 of what Bryston charges.

We pay for quality.  Build quality, warranty quality, customer service quality, etc.  if it doesn't sound good, then all that is irrevelant.  However, what a component sounds like doesn't (hopefully) solely determine the cost.

A lot of the vintage stuff was made at a time when people and companies took pride in their product.  Do you think Pioneer or Marantz has the same standards today as they did when my father's 2220B was built?   Do you think their current receivers will be as sought after in 30 years as today's 30 year old receivers are?

Also...
Be careful of new and exciting gear, regardless of its age.  Sometimes new to your ears sounds great for a little while.  Then, as BB King sang, the thrill is gone. 

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #21 on: 1 Feb 2012, 12:11 am »
There's a lot of great vintage stuff.  There's also a lot of great inexpensive 'entry level' stuff out there.  I think the bottom end of the market is booming due to the current state of the economy.  With all that being said...

There's definitely an exponential law of diminishing returns in this hobby.  Sound quality isn't the only determining factor of cost.  Actually, I think it isn't related at all except for one small detail - better quality (read more expensive) parts generally sound better.  What we're truly paying for is labor and customer support.

A product being made in Canada by Canadians earning an honest wage for honest work isn't cheap.  A 20 year no-bullshit warranty isn't cheap.  A company that'll fix and/or upgrade a component for pretty much cost adds to the overall cost of a new item.

I'm pretty sure a component made with the same parts and using the same manufacturing techniques, only this time made in a 3rd world country and carrying a severely limited 3 year warranty would cost quite a bit less.  Perhaps 1/3 of what Bryston charges.

We pay for quality.  Build quality, warranty quality, customer service quality, etc.  if it doesn't sound good, then all that is irrevelant.  However, what a component sounds like doesn't (hopefully) solely determine the cost.

A lot of the vintage stuff was made at a time when people and companies took pride in their product.  Do you think Pioneer or Marantz has the same standards today as they did when my father's 2220B was built?   Do you think their current receivers will be as sought after in 30 years as today's 30 year old receivers are?

Also...
Be careful of new and exciting gear, regardless of its age.  Sometimes new to your ears sounds great for a little while.  Then, as BB King sang, the thrill is gone.

Stu, I agree with you on all these points. I hope that you didn't take my OP as a complaint about the high cost of high end equipment. That certainly wasn't miy intent. I recognize and accept the higher cost of my gear, especially Bryston, because of the factors you describe. And, I have to confess I like owning well-designed and crafted products. There is, for me, some joy in the look feel and operation of very good stuff, like my Bryston equipment, my car, and, yes, my iPad, which, although mass produced, has all the attributes of a a fine Swiss watch.

And I also agree about the vintage equipment, some of which, like my recently acquired Pioneer SX980, also was designed and built by people who cared about getting it right.

Incidentally, my story about that Pioneer unit took a turn today. I discovered a problem with it, and the dealer from who I bought it, under warranty, took it back for inspection and repair. He thinks it is a capacitor going bad.

The interesting news, however, is this. While waiting for that repair, I pulled out my equally old Technics SU-V303 integrated amp to use in the interim.  This piece is not finished as well as the Pioneer, and it shows. Purchased new nearly 30 years ago for very little money, and seldom used since then, it seems to be in perfect working and sounds very good. Called a New Class A, at 40 watts it seems to have a lot of heft to it, albeit not quite as smooth a sound as the Pioneer. In any case, it lacks the gem-like look and feel of the Pioneer. We'll see, however, which one ends up being the more reliable in its old age.

I can't speak of newer Marantz and Pioneer equipment, although it seems that Marantz and Pioneer Elite models have pretty good reputations. As for the down market newer gear, I would agree, it isn't what it used to be. For example, there is Sony gear aimed at the high end of the market that I bought in more recent years that is excellent and has been reliable. On the other hand, a few years back I bought a downscale Sony receiver to use with my TV that is terrible - hard to use, major hum, not worth fixing.

Dave

Stu Pitt

« Reply #22 on: 1 Feb 2012, 12:54 am »
Dave,

I didn't take your post as a complaint at all.  My post was just making a point about cost vs performance.  No more, no less.

One of these days I'm going to swipe my father's Marantz 2220B.  He bought it back in '78 as a house warming gift to himself.  It sits idle in the basement and makes an appearance once every couple years at my request.

Marantz stuff is made pretty well IMO, as is Pioneer's Elite line.   But they're not the same as the vintage gear.   I highly doubt a current model will be sought after in 30 years as the gear we're discussing.

DaveNote

« Reply #23 on: 1 Feb 2012, 01:08 am »
Marantz stuff is made pretty well IMO, as is Pioneer's Elite line.   But they're not the same as the vintage gear.   I highly doubt a current model will be sought after in 30 years as the gear we're discussing.

Stu, you may be right about how present day equipment might not be sought after in 30 years. I'm a lousy prognosticator. I always hated vinyl records because I invariably spent more time listening to all the noise created by warping, scratches, etc. than I did to the music. When CDs came in, I thought vinyl would die, and I enthusiastically welcomed its demise. I could not imagine a latter day emergence of a niche vinyl market anymore than I could a niche vintage audio market. Who konws, maybe if I keep my rotten Sony receiver long enough, there could be a market even for it.

Dave

Stu Pitt

« Reply #24 on: 1 Feb 2012, 01:58 am »
Great post, Dave.  Makes me regret throwing out that piece of junk Aiwa shelf system I bought with some high school graduation money.

I just remembered a funny situation with that one...
When I bought it, I was stupid enough to buy an extended warranty through Macy's.  About a month before the extended warranty was up, Macy's called me and tried to sell me another stretch of warranty on it.  I declined.  They called me every 6 months for about 3 years after the warranty they sold me was up.  I started to get aggravated, but after a year I wanted to see how long they'd keep calling me for.  The last time they called, I couldn't help but laugh and tell them how stupid they were and thought I was.  I guess there's idiots out there who'll keep paying for an extended warranty that'll end up costing about 3 times the original price when all is said and done.  I had thrown out the $75 piece of junk after somewhere near the second time they called.

The extended warranty initially was about $15.  After that it was about $50.  I wonder what they would have replaced the thing with if it had broken under the extended warranty?  It was out of production for a while and no way would they have fixed a piece of junk like that.

Sorry if I'm rambling.  It's been a long couple of days. 

DaveNote

« Reply #25 on: 1 Feb 2012, 02:05 am »
Great post, Dave.  Makes me regret throwing out that piece of junk Aiwa shelf system I bought with some high school graduation money.

I just remembered a funny situation with that one...
When I bought it, I was stupid enough to buy an extended warranty through Macy's.  About a month before the extended warranty was up, Macy's called me and tried to sell me another stretch of warranty on it.  I declined.  They called me every 6 months for about 3 years after the warranty they sold me was up.  I started to get aggravated, but after a year I wanted to see how long they'd keep calling me for.  The last time they called, I couldn't help but laugh and tell them how stupid they were and thought I was.  I guess there's idiots out there who'll keep paying for an extended warranty that'll end up costing about 3 times the original price when all is said and done.  I had thrown out the $75 piece of junk after somewhere near the second time they called.

The extended warranty initially was about $15.  After that it was about $50.  I wonder what they would have replaced the thing with if it had broken under the extended warranty?  It was out of production for a while and no way would they have fixed a piece of junk like that.

Sorry if I'm rambling.  It's been a long couple of days.

Stu, love your extended warranty story! I usually have passed on them, but have given in from time to time, the worse case being on a Sony Mini Disc Player.

If you've had a long day, kick back and enjoy your system.

Dave

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #26 on: 3 Feb 2012, 03:12 am »
This has gotta be one of the most ridiculous threads I've read on this board. You do know this is your opinion, right?

Well, that goes vice versa. Bryston is comparable to units costing more than 2-3 times the price if we're talking about the law of diminishing returns.

I used to own the mega-expensive FM Acoustics, considered by many to be the best in the world. I sold the amp and preamp off, because of the money tied up in it, and because I didn't think Bryston was that much worse.

DaveNote

« Reply #27 on: 3 Feb 2012, 03:42 am »
This has gotta be one of the most ridiculous threads I've read on this board. You do know this is your opinion, right?

Well, that goes vice versa. Bryston is comparable to units costing more than 2-3 times the price if we're talking about the law of diminishing returns.

I used to own the mega-expensive FM Acoustics, considered by many to be the best in the world. I sold the amp and preamp off, because of the money tied up in it, and because I didn't think Bryston was that much worse.

If this thread is "ridiculous," then why isn't this comment equally ridiculous given that the logic of it is identical to that of one of the points made in this thread, namely that spending progressively higher prices for audio reflects the law of diminishing returns? His example proves the point. He paid much more for the FM Acoustics than for Bryston that he didn't think was "that much worse."

What makes the point interesting is that there appears to be a belief by some buyers that paying more means getting improvements directly proportional to the higher price. And this writer agrees. FM Acoustics did not give him an improvement proportional to its higher price when compared to Bryston.

While I cannot admire this writer's needlessly abusive language, I'm pleased, however, to agree with him if he is trying to say that in terms of price and performance in the high end audio market, Bryston is a bargain.

Dave

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #28 on: 3 Feb 2012, 03:56 am »
I'm pleased, however, to agree with him if he is trying to say that in terms of price and performance in the high end audio market, Bryston is a bargain.

Dave

I am, and it is.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #29 on: 3 Feb 2012, 04:47 pm »
If this thread is "ridiculous," then why isn't this comment equally ridiculous given that the logic of it is identical to that of one of the points made in this thread, namely that spending progressively higher prices for audio reflects the law of diminishing returns? His example proves the point. He paid much more for the FM Acoustics than for Bryston that he didn't think was "that much worse."

What makes the point interesting is that there appears to be a belief by some buyers that paying more means getting improvements directly proportional to the higher price. And this writer agrees. FM Acoustics did not give him an improvement proportional to its higher price when compared to Bryston.

While I cannot admire this writer's needlessly abusive language, I'm pleased, however, to agree with him if he is trying to say that in terms of price and performance in the high end audio market, Bryston is a bargain.

Dave
Greetings Dave  :D

I have always considered your comments to be most interesting and your continual eloquence is certainly a “breath of fresh air” as I believe we have lost this simple beauty in our society today. I also admire your ability to respond to individuals politely and perhaps above all, respectfully.

Greetings vegasdave  :D

You have a very interesting observation with respect to the comparison of Brand X to Brand Y concerning diminishing returns. I believe that we are all overlooking an opportunity to achieve a more definitive and objective approach with respect to this subject. Why not discuss a true in-house comparison, a genuine “apples to apples” approach if you will.

"Is the Bryston 28B SST² amplifier truly a value added product compared to that of the Bryston 7B SST² amplifier?"

So here we have a pair of amplifiers that share a common design and performance philosophy albeit that the 28B SST² is over $20K including sales tax compared to that of $10K for the 7B SST², also including taxes – our sales tax, known as the HST is currently 13%. Is the improvement in audio performance between these two amplifiers proportional to the cost differential? I would offer “no” and perhaps suggest that a performance gain of maybe 5% is evident between these two units, this is a very difficult observation for me to quantify.

With respect to my purchase decision, all the justification that I required was that I enjoyed and simply “wanted” the 28B SST² - for the record, I do not in anyway consider myself an audiophile or purest. To also be fair, many other considerations influenced my purchase decision from aesthetics to pride in ownership or dare I say vanity? I believe that a purist has the ability to ignore any entity, which has nothing to do with audio quality. Not for once, have I regretted my purchase of the 28B SST² and at times, catch myself smiling in awe of their performance, music is very important to me, it is one of a very few focal points in my life.

If I was shopping for an audio system today, would I still purchase a 28B SST² over a 7B SST² today - a most difficult question to consider. The 7B SST² would be a much more logical decision but music is also of emotion – no easy choice here. My major concern is that this equipment is slowly being priced out of reach of many audio enthusiasts. If I were to take the liberty to speculate with respect to the demographics of Bryston customers, I would suspect that the “lions share” of these individuals are either of average financial means or have reached a stage in their later years where they have slightly more of a disposable income available. Please accept my apologies if I have insulted anyone with this statement, it was not my intention and I also group myself in this demographic.

At the end of the day, the 7B SST² is an outstanding and highly refined amplifier that would experience no difficulties driving any speaker - all for half the cost of its bigger brother. The choice is ultimately with the consumer and perhaps through time, individuals may only consider pure economics and slowly remove everything else from this equation – truly this will be a sad time.

Vegasdave, I would be very interested in hearing your opinions with respect to diminishing returns between the 7B SST² and 28B SST² amplifiers.

Be well…

DaveNote

« Reply #30 on: 3 Feb 2012, 11:21 pm »
Greetings Dave  :D

I have always considered your comments to be most interesting and your continual eloquence is certainly a “breath of fresh air” as I believe we have lost this simple beauty in our society today. I also admire your ability to respond to individuals politely and perhaps above all, respectfully.

Greetings vegasdave  :D

You have a very interesting observation with respect to the comparison of Brand X to Brand Y concerning diminishing returns. I believe that we are all overlooking an opportunity to achieve a more definitive and objective approach with respect to this subject. Why not discuss a true in-house comparison, a genuine “apples to apples” approach if you will.

"Is the Bryston 28B SST² amplifier truly a value added product compared to that of the Bryston 7B SST² amplifier?"

So here we have a pair of amplifiers that share a common design and performance philosophy albeit that the 28B SST² is over $20K including sales tax compared to that of $10K for the 7B SST², also including taxes – our sales tax, known as the HST is currently 13%. Is the improvement in audio performance between these two amplifiers proportional to the cost differential? I would offer “no” and perhaps suggest that a performance gain of maybe 5% is evident between these two units, this is a very difficult observation for me to quantify.

With respect to my purchase decision, all the justification that I required was that I enjoyed and simply “wanted” the 28B SST² - for the record, I do not in anyway consider myself an audiophile or purest. To also be fair, many other considerations influenced my purchase decision from aesthetics to pride in ownership or dare I say vanity? I believe that a purist has the ability to ignore any entity, which has nothing to do with audio quality. Not for once, have I regretted my purchase of the 28B SST² and at times, catch myself smiling in awe of their performance, music is very important to me, it is one of a very few focal points in my life.

If I was shopping for an audio system today, would I still purchase a 28B SST² over a 7B SST² today - a most difficult question to consider. The 7B SST² would be a much more logical decision but music is also of emotion – no easy choice here. My major concern is that this equipment is slowly being priced out of reach of many audio enthusiasts. If I were to take the liberty to speculate with respect to the demographics of Bryston customers, I would suspect that the “lions share” of these individuals are either of average financial means or have reached a stage in their later years where they have slightly more of a disposable income available. Please accept my apologies if I have insulted anyone with this statement, it was not my intention and I also group myself in this demographic.

At the end of the day, the 7B SST² is an outstanding and highly refined amplifier that would experience no difficulties driving any speaker - all for half the cost of its bigger brother. The choice is ultimately with the consumer and perhaps through time, individuals may only consider pure economics and slowly remove everything else from this equation – truly this will be a sad time.

Vegasdave, I would be very interested in hearing your opinions with respect to diminishing returns between the 7B SST² and 28B SST² amplifiers.

Be well…

Hi Laundrew: Thanks for your complimentary comments. Now I have to try hard to live up to what I feel are undeserved plaudits, albeit appreciated.

And thanks for your message to vegasdave. It is interesting, indeed, that you have given us a down-to-earth case study about equipment we buy. I can't comment on the relative value of the 7BSTT2s vs. the 28BSST2s because I have never heard the bigger amps. I own the 7BSST2s, which are dramatically better than my old 7BSSTs. Nevertheless, I am totally with you on your decision-making. If I thought I could afford them, I would buy the 28BSST2s, for the reasons you gave, and never would have regretted the purchase.

Dave

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #31 on: 4 Feb 2012, 02:35 pm »
Hi Laundrew: Thanks for your complimentary comments. Now I have to try hard to live up to what I feel are undeserved plaudits, albeit appreciated.

"... I can't comment on the relative value of the 7BSTT2s vs. the 28BSST2s because I have never heard the bigger amps."

Dave

Hello again Dave  :D

I consider myself extremely lucky because my audio guys, Ron and Rob at Altronics Stereo 2000 had both the 28B and 7B on the shelf for my demo - I was also able to A/B the X-05 and BCD-1. It makes all the difference in the world when you can do an A/B in-house comparison. I feel disgusted with myself as I have not dropped in to say hello to Ron and Rob for some time - coffee is definitely going to be on me...

Be well... 

DaveNote

« Reply #32 on: 4 Feb 2012, 02:58 pm »
Hello again Dave  :D

I consider myself extremely lucky because my audio guys, Ron and Rob at Altronics Stereo 2000 had both the 28B and 7B on the shelf for my demo - I was also able to A/B the X-05 and BCD-1. It makes all the difference in the world when you can do an A/B in-house comparison. I feel disgusted with myself as I have not dropped in to say hello to Ron and Rob for some time - coffee is definitely going to be on me...

Be well...

Hi Laundrew. I envy you your ability to go to a dealer and get a demo of the gear in which you have an interest, with A/B comparisons. Rare where I live.

I have bemoaned, along with others, the ever diminishing demo. Yet on reflection, I have to admit that demos, at least where I have had them in the past, have not been what I would have hoped.

I demoed my first PMC speakers (IB1) in an atrocious sound room with a floor that you literally could feel bounce as you walked across it. If I had gone with the demo I instead of my extrapolation I never would have bought them.

More recently, in an effort to build a second system, I was looking for small speakers. Did a demo of highly rated Polk Audio RTi A1s as noted in my OP, at a Future Shop. The room was rotten and the sales staff clueless about the product or even how to use their equipment. Again, had to do much extrapolation, and these turned out to be very good speakers, but not what I was looking for.

Went to a high end shop, with a very knowledgeable sales person in a much better room. But it wasn't a very good room either. More guess work. Fortunately I discovered the B&W 685 speakers, which seem to get better every day. Again, the demo was helpful, but at best only roughly indicative.

Another lesson learned! Get a demo if possible, but exercise care, caution and judgement in using one.

Dave

Sasha

« Reply #33 on: 4 Feb 2012, 03:56 pm »
Over the years I spent what I consider an unreasonable amount of money in my quest for a “true to recording” system capable of faithful reproduction, what ultimately led me to a number of conclusions, two of them above all others being: active speakers concept is the ticket, and you cannot get better performance for $ than Bryston as far as amplification goes. In the process I left and came back to Bryston several times, and my latest reiteration of active speakers ended up with Bryston amplification again. I had some mega buck active speakers with their own amplification that simply had too many issues (I think their retail tag was somewhat shy of 40K), not to mention auditions of a number of passive ones covering the range of 60-80K which simply failed miserably when compared to active counterparts. I will not say what those were to avoid argument, the message I am trying to convey is that while Bryston is not the best in anything as I have heard better amps and DACs for example, it is at the point beyond which things become irrational IMO, and small gains in performance cost many times more, and many times what is perceived as small gain in performance is deception (a different but not more accurate). Of course I did not evaluate all the amps out there, but did a fair chunk, and there were some highly praised pieces that were in fact quite poor if your pursuit is accuracy. I do not warship Bryston or any other piece of equipment and I do not feel a need to justify purchase decisions to myself what is often the root cause of heated discussions on forums (I have spent $ on it thus it must be good), I have bought and sold quite a few Bryston components quite a few times. Bryston showed to be the one to measure all against, not as being the best but offering by far (very very far) the best performance for $.

DaveNote

« Reply #34 on: 4 Feb 2012, 04:09 pm »
Bryston showed to be the one to measure all against, not as being the best but offering by far (very very far) the best performance for $.

Sasha your compelling experience - breathtaking in fact given the numbers you quote- is appreciated. I believe you're right on on all points, and especially your last one, which I've echoed many times. However, because you have had a broader hands-on acquaintance with other high end gear, your assertion is far more authoritative and persuasive than what has been my not-so-substantively supported opinion. Many thanks.

Dave

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #35 on: 4 Feb 2012, 05:18 pm »
  Let me through a monkey wrench in here. There is no best anything, just different. What one perceives as better  may not to someone else.
   Over the years i have heard mega buck systems that were awfull tomy ears. Then less expensive systems that had emotionalimpact. Go figure.
    If you think about it other than digital what really new circuit designs are out there. Vintage gear circuits are very similar if not thesame as the new counterparts of today.
   If it was a Class "A" piece then well it should be today as well. Granted there may be new parts such as caps and things but the circuit designs are almost equal.
    It does not have to be the latest and the greatest to sound good. Give me a pair of vintage Mirage M3si with a Krell KSA 100 amp, a Garrad TT and a Audio Research SP9 preamp and will put it up against any new gear. A classic sound that is never outdated. There are many more classic combos out there. Just have to know what they are.
   Will it be perceived as better by some  or just different. So where to go what to do ? There is nothing like hands on listening experience. Expose yourself to all you can. Learn the differences  or individual components can and do offer great sound.
    The best consumer is an educated consumer.

charles

DaveNote

« Reply #36 on: 4 Feb 2012, 05:29 pm »
  Let me through a monkey wrench in here. There is no best anything, just different. What one perceives as better  may not to someone else.
   Over the years i have heard mega buck systems that were awfull tomy ears. Then less expensive systems that had emotionalimpact. Go figure.
    If you think about it other than digital what really new circuit designs are out there. Vintage gear circuits are very similar if not thesame as the new counterparts of today.
   If it was a Class "A" piece then well it should be today as well. Granted there may be new parts such as caps and things but the circuit designs are almost equal.
    It does not have to be the latest and the greatest to sound good. Give me a pair of vintage Mirage M3si with a Krell KSA 100 amp, a Garrad TT and a Audio Research SP9 preamp and will put it up against any new gear. A classic sound that is never outdated. There are many more classic combos out there. Just have to know what they are.
   Will it be perceived as better by some  or just different. So where to go what to do ? There is nothing like hands on listening experience. Expose yourself to all you can. Learn the differences  or individual components can and do offer great sound.
    The best consumer is an educated consumer.

charles

Thanks, Charles. Let me, with all respect, hand you back your monkey wrench. I cannot do anything but agree with your point! I believe I said in my OP that my pricey (and much loved) main system when compared to my new/old second system based on a vintage Pioneer SX980 and B&W 685 speakers was better to my ears, and probably best described as different rather than better. I went on to note that some might prefer to SX980/685 system to the more expensive one. So your point is not only well-taken, it is, at least by me, enthusiastically embraced.

Dave

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #37 on: 4 Feb 2012, 06:51 pm »
Dave as an aside maybe a new topic " Classic  combos" might fare well. Amp - speaker, pre - amp and so on. Might become a sticky. Here are a few more. Snell B speakers with Audio Research tubed Amps. B&W with Mc Intosh, CJ PV10 Pre with AR classic 60 amp. Bryston  SST2 and Maggies. Dynaco and Spica and lots more.

charles

DaveNote

« Reply #38 on: 4 Feb 2012, 07:25 pm »
Dave as an aside maybe a new topic " Classic  combos" might fare well. Amp - speaker, pre - amp and so on. Might become a sticky. Here are a few more. Snell B speakers with Audio Research tubed Amps. B&W with Mc Intosh, CJ PV10 Pre with AR classic 60 amp. Bryston  SST2 and Maggies. Dynaco and Spica and lots more.

charles

Charles, don't disagree that the topic might be one of interest, but it may more appropriately be started on The Vintage Circle, although not having followed it I wouldn't know for sure.

Dave

Stu Pitt

« Reply #39 on: 4 Feb 2012, 07:26 pm »
Charles,

Allow me to throw a monkey wrench in your post, which by the way I agree with 99% of it...

Engineering materials have come a very long way in the past few decades, getting better and better, and also cheaper on a very regular and quick basis.

Stuff like kevlar drivers and titanium or berrilium tweeters may not have been possible, or at least not affordable back when Dynacos and Fischers were the gear or choice.

Machining and manufacturing tolerances have also risen dramatically and dropped significantly in cost.  This also translates to far more consistency between each piece made, and less overall cost - labor and QC.  I doubt Dynaco had the luxury of CNC manufacturing, but if they could have, how expensive would their stuff have been?

I agree the designs of amplification have remained largely unchanged, but the parts available to make the designs better have both dropped in price and become far better.

That's not saying any amp or preamp today will outperform every amp or preamp from yesteryear.  But if you compare a $250 amp from say 1965 to an adjusted for inflation amp $250 (in 1965 dollars), I'm quite sure today's amp will sound better, use better parts, and should last longer too.

That last paragraph is assuming all things being equal, which they never truly are - planned obselescence, third world labor, etc.

I think the biggest improvement over the years has been speakers.  Better and more consistant materials, more precision in manufacturing, cheaper and easier access to testing facilities, and computer aided designs.

Just my opinions.  Comparing sources is an exercise in futility, as formats come and go.  Turntables have gotten better, partially due to materials and manufacturing techniques, but they're generally far more upscale and a niche product within a niche field that it's stupid to compare today's and yesteryear's turntables as a whole.