Poll

Please post what main speakers and sub your using

Yes I have a Sub
No Sub

Who uses a subwoofer with 2 channel system

Indiansprings

Who uses a subwoofer with 2 channel system
« on: 30 Jan 2012, 02:36 pm »
The reason I am asking in the vinyl section is WE are a different type of listener. So please don't move the thread.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Who uses a subwoofer with 2 channel system
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2012, 02:59 pm »
I'm curious why you think you are a "different type of listener"??

Indiansprings

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2012, 03:04 pm »
People have preferences. I am looking for answers from people who primarily listen to vinyl.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2012, 03:20 pm »
OK...got ya...

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2012, 04:01 pm »
Have been loving the REL Storm III I am trying out with my SP Tech Minis. Did a lot of research on the best integrating and musical subs, and this one stood out at my price point. Other companies may accomplish the same thing with another method, but the speaker level input to the REL does work great. The sub is crossed over at 40 Hz.

orientalexpress

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2012, 04:25 pm »
I use sub mostly for classical music for 40hz down.

lapsan

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2012, 04:27 pm »
Have been loving the REL Storm III I am trying out with my SP Tech Minis. Did a lot of research on the best integrating and musical subs, and this one stood out at my price point. Other companies may accomplish the same thing with another method, but the speaker level input to the REL does work great. The sub is crossed over at 40 Hz.

I used a few different REL subs (Storm and Strata) back when I had a different setup that included a Linn LP12 as one of my sources.  The REL subs integrate very well and added just the right amount of bass to the music.

Definitely a good choice.

George

Kinger

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2012, 04:34 pm »
I'm new to vinyl, but I don't turn off my sub when listening to it.  Using Salk ST's with a Rythmik F12.

watercourse

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2012, 04:35 pm »
Finding the best place to put a sub in relation to a TT takes some work, but there is nothing inherently problematic about subs and vinyl playback. My REL Strata III is crossed at about 30Hz, right about where my DeVore Nines (or should I say "IX"s) drop off.

JackD201

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jan 2012, 04:42 pm »
I have 15" subs w/ 1kW amps built into each loudspeaker. I listen to vinyl about 80% of the time.

cheap-Jack

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jan 2012, 05:57 pm »
Hi.
People have preferences. I am looking for answers from people who primarily listen to vinyl.

I got my 100W 10" active subwoofer for a few years, connected to my 50-year-young Dynaco PS-2 stereo phono-preamp, which I super-upgraded including adding signal O/P jacks for active subs.

For most most my LP music, I prefer NOT switching the active sub on as I
find I don't need reinforced bass at all. I refer well balanced sonics.

But for certain pipe organ music LP recordings, e.g. "Andre Davis plays the Organ at Roy Thomson Hall: (2007) which I picked up from a thrift store for a buck, I switch my sub on.

I still recall for the very first time I played the last track side 2 of this organ album - very low 30Hz bass pedal notes!!?? I was somewhat shaken when I witnessed such pure bass notes virtually shook up my listemning area. Honestly it was my very first itme to experience really deep solid bass notes - from a pipe organ !!!

Wow.... :thumb:  Who says vinyl can't delivery deep deep bass?

c-J

roscoeiii

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jan 2012, 06:03 pm »
Vinyl can certainly bring some deep bass, with the right stylus and the right turntable set-up...

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2012, 08:01 pm »
I've got KEF Q-70's for my main spearkers and I have a 15" Velodyne sub that handles everything below 80hz.

For the record, the KEF's use 6 1/2 inch woofers It's a 4 way system with ported upper and ported lower bass chambers in the cabinet.  The tweeter is coincident with the midrange.  Actually, the tweeter is mounted in the center of the midrange.

For years, my local audio retailer kept saying "You don't need a sub".  Yes I did. 

HsvHeelFan

vinyl_lady

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jan 2012, 08:49 pm »
I used a Velodyne ULD-15 sub with my B & W Matrix 2 and 804 Matrix speakers. Both needed the help in the lower end. The ULD-15 had a factory set x-over at 80hz. When I acquired my Daedalus DA-1s (in 2006) and now 1-1 speakers, I found the Velodyne muddied the low end. The x-over was too high for the Daedalus speakers. So I disconnected the Velodyne, put it in its original box and it now occupies a space in my basement.

Lou Hinkley recently developed a "subwoofer" which he calls a Bass Optimization Woofer or BOW. It is designed to integrate with his Daedalus full range speakers. After hearing his speakers with and without the BOWs at RMAF the last two years, I have ordered a pair. They require a separate power amplifier (I will use my 1988 Bryston 4B with Toroidal transformers) and a crossover which I am having made by Bolder Cable.

mjosef

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2012, 12:00 am »
Back in the 80's I used a VMPS Original sub from 70Hz down to compliment my Wharfedale Diamond (Original version). It was all vinyl in those days, cd tech was just a glimmer on the distant horizon.
THings has changed, I still got the sub, but it is relegated to HT sub duties. My current speakers are almost full range, and though I still play vinyl, cd playback dominates my listening sessions.

cheap-Jack

« Reply #15 on: 31 Jan 2012, 02:23 am »
HI.
Vinyl can certainly bring some deep bass, with the right stylus and the right turntable set-up...

So how "right" is right?

Hopefully, we don't need to sell our house to get the "right" stylus & TT set-up".

c-J

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #16 on: 31 Jan 2012, 02:28 am »
I have several subs that get thrown in and out of the vinyl system willy nilly, according to my mood that month.

Crimson

« Reply #17 on: 31 Jan 2012, 02:33 am »
Stereo Vandersteen 2Wq, here.

orthobiz

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jan 2012, 02:35 am »
A REL B2 helps out my Dahlquists.

Paul

roscoeiii

« Reply #19 on: 31 Jan 2012, 02:37 am »
HI.
So how "right" is right?

Hopefully, we don't need to sell our house to get the "right" stylus & TT set-up".

c-J

Nope, just saying that the best bass will come from a cart that handles bass well. Many cheaper carts can do this well. And set-up (VTA, VTF, etc) should cost nada unless you hire someone to help with it (not an entirely bad idea in some cases).