Fostex Saburo w/ 126En - any experience with low-powered solid-state integrated?

myaudioforsale

Anyone tried something like a Naim Nait or other low-power solid state integrated with a Fostex 126En based  speaker?  I have been enjoying a Miniwatt N3, Korneff 45, and soon to try a 300B mono amp.  Just looking to see how cheap one can go with solid state.  I have not fallen in love with the class T amps I have tried.

Any opinions? 

Thanks in advance.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
There's a well respected 25 wpc conventional solid state for sale here by one of our regulars:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=102598.0

Another alternative are chip amps (not to be confused with digital or T-amps).  Scott Nixon used to offer them, but most are DIY.  Touted to sound like the best of tube and solid state.  I have a pair of Channel Island Audio VMB-1 40 watt beefy monoblocks in the closet that I used with Fostex F200A drivers and might be teased into selling.

myaudioforsale

Thanks for the reply - I'll do a little reading on your suggestions.

chrisby

+1 on the chip amp  (Miss Vickies' Lime and Cracked black pepper or Malt Vinegar and Sea Salt - now that's a tougher choice  :lol:)

roymail

• Roy in TX
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studio-Chip-AMP-LM3875-Gainclone-Compact-Design-/110317699865?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19af728319#ht_2031wt_905

You may want to try one of these reasonably priced gainclones that are sold on Ebay and recommended by Brian Bell.  This amp is based on his design and uses his parts.  I personally like the 3886 chip.  If you go to chipamp.com, you can read more about it.

If you diy, take a look at classdaudio.com and the long thread in the "Cheap and Cheerful" circle here on AC.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76400.0

Poultrygeist

I have the 126En in Frugal Horn Mk3's and a pair of Tektons. I have and enjoy a MW as well and have tried the Fostex's with a variety of T-amps and digital amps ( not that impressed ). I've also spent time listening to the 126En's in HS Horns powered by a Classe power amp, Bada tube hybrid amp, etc. but IMO nothing sounds better than a 2a3 SET. I like the finesse of the 2a3 vs the extra power of the 300B which the 126En doesn't require.

chrisby

I have the 126En in Frugal Horn Mk3's and a pair of Tektons. I have and enjoy a MW as well and have tried the Fostex's with a variety of T-amps and digital amps ( not that impressed ). I've also spent time listening to the 126En's in HS Horns powered by a Classe power amp, Bada tube hybrid amp, etc. but IMO nothing sounds better than a 2a3 SET. I like the finesse of the 2a3 vs the extra power of the 300B which the 126En doesn't require.

beat me to it

if the OP hasn't already built the Saburos,  another enclosure to consider for the FE126E is the Woden Valiant - less of a wallflower than the FH3 - unlike the Saburos, they do need some breathing room behind

jparkhur

Mike,

Let me tell you now.. I am not building those for you. haaa..  I wonder if you don't like the FH3 you have if you could stick the 126 in a fonken build.  Chris or Dave... the current 125 fostex fonken would not be suitable for the 126?   Totally different is my guess.....

Jon