Refurbished/Refreshed

1ZIP

Refurbished/Refreshed
« on: 29 Jan 2012, 11:25 pm »
Question for James:

I've seen Bryston components offered for sale as "Refurbished/Refreshed" by Bryston. Just curious what process a component goes through at Bryston that ensures a R/R unit has the same performance and reliability as a new component.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Refurbished/Refreshed
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2012, 01:51 am »
Question for James:

I've seen Bryston components offered for sale as "Refurbished/Refreshed" by Bryston. Just curious what process a component goes through at Bryston that ensures a R/R unit has the same performance and reliability as a new component.

Not something we do officially so I assume it has just been back for a check-up.

james

spinner

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2012, 09:29 am »
 I came across an online vendor that stated refurbished bcd1's. Sorry, can't remember the page but I will look for it. I was curious as to what refurbished meant and why Bryston has never said they sell used units...(sorta.sounds fishy ). Given the quality of the player and the fact it hasn't been around that long why would there be a need for "refurbishing"? :scratch: 

firedog

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2012, 11:23 am »
If it's not an official (Bryston) refurbish, it can mean anything: from open box (new) to demo to used. Warranty? Maybe. By Whom? Depends on the seller and how he defines refurbished. If Bryston refurbs it, they will tell you exactly what the condition is and if there is a warranty.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2012, 12:49 pm »
Hi Folks

I looked into this and I think it may refer to a dealer not a customer resale. Once in a while we will sell our dealers a B stock item - which are products we have used at shows and can not be sold as new. We retest them all before we send them out so I guess that could be interpreted as refurbished?

James

spinner

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2012, 04:14 am »
 Thanks James, that makes sense . 8)

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2012, 09:11 am »
Once in a while we will sell our dealers a B stock item - which are products we have used at shows and can not be sold as new.

I think you have a nice market here for that sort of stuff... I would not mind a friendly priced BDP which has basically only been touched by you and admired by a few 100 listeners at some show...

uncouth

« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2012, 06:18 pm »
The online retailer I've found selling "Factory Refreshed" Bryston products is AudioAdvisor. Unfortunately there is no note about what the refresh actually was, and whether the original 20 year warranty still stands.

James, from your answer above is it safe to assume the answer to the latter is yes?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2012, 08:49 pm »
The online retailer I've found selling "Factory Refreshed" Bryston products is AudioAdvisor. Unfortunately there is no note about what the refresh actually was, and whether the original 20 year warranty still stands.

James, from your answer above is it safe to assume the answer to the latter is yes?

Yes if it is purchased from an authorized dealer the warranty is valid.

james

spinner

« Reply #9 on: 6 Feb 2012, 12:04 am »
 Yes , that was the web site where I saw the refurbished term... :peek:

werd

« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2012, 12:19 am »
Hi Folks

I looked into this and I think it may refer to a dealer not a customer resale. Once in a while we will sell our dealers a B stock item - which are products we have used at shows and can not be sold as new. We retest them all before we send them out so I guess that could be interpreted as refurbished?

James

I wouldnt consider that b- stock. Just demoed. You guys back up your warranty with exceptional after sales service for any piece to be considered b-stock.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #11 on: 6 Feb 2012, 03:58 am »
I'd call Audio Advisor and ask them the specifics.  I'm willing to bet that it's an ex-demo or returned piece, but you never know.

Kind of turns me off a bit that Audio Advisor's doing this though.  It's one thing to advertise and sell as a demo or open box item, it's another thing to advertise them as factory refreshed.  Nothing wrong with Spearit Sound selling refribished NAD gear, as it's NAD gear.  I think Bryston's above that.

Hopefully that doesn't start a war. 

uncouth

« Reply #12 on: 6 Feb 2012, 04:41 pm »
I'll see what AA says. They have a seperate section for demo equipment, so I wonder what differentiates the Bryston products.

SHV

« Reply #13 on: 6 Feb 2012, 06:40 pm »
I wasn't aware that AA sold Bryston "slightly used??" gear.  If the cosmetics are OK, I don't see a problem with what they call it.  If they have something that I want and the price is good I will jump on it in a heart beat.  With Bryston 20 year on analog and service history, what could be the problem?

Steve

uncouth

« Reply #14 on: 7 Feb 2012, 09:31 pm »
Here is the response from AA for those interested:

"Factory-Refreshed products from Bryston are received from Bryston in factory-sealed boxes and come with the full warranty. All of these products have been completely checked and tested by Bryston."

SoundGame

« Reply #15 on: 7 Feb 2012, 09:33 pm »
Here is the response from AA for those interested:

"Factory-Refreshed products from Bryston are received from Bryston in factory-sealed boxes and come with the full warranty. All of these products have been completely checked and tested by Bryston."

Not that this is a big deal given that Bryston's warranty is 20yrs, and I would assume any of these products were built less than 2 years ago - but something to keep in mind or question is whether the warranty clock starts at the original manufacture date or the date the product was refurbished by Bryston. :scratch:

rmurray

« Reply #16 on: 7 Feb 2012, 11:23 pm »
  Bryston should put this refurbished thing on the website to clear up this issue . If there are units slightly used that's great , but let us know........  :wtf:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 7 Feb 2012, 11:38 pm »
Hi,

They are units we have sold as B stock - which are units used at shows or in our factory demo rooms or have come back from reviews and can not be sold as new.

James

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #18 on: 8 Feb 2012, 08:43 am »
Hi,

They are units we have sold as B stock - which are units used at shows or in our factory demo rooms or have come back from reviews and can not be sold as new.

James

As mentioned earlier: I think you have a nice market here for that sort of stuff... I would not mind a friendly priced BDP which has basically only been touched by you and admired by a few 100 listeners at some show...

klao

« Reply #19 on: 8 Feb 2012, 04:44 pm »
Yea, please also let me know when you got some of those factory refurbished 28B-SST2's (230V).   :green: