VPI Scoutmaster Sig advice

beaglebump

Re: VPI Scoutmaster Sig advice
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jan 2012, 06:51 pm »
Sonny:  I would enjoy a greater sense of pace/timing, speed, punch.  Accurate stage placement.  Nice separation, clarity and authenticity in frequency spectrum, partic. in upper frequencies.  Reduce stridency. These are my primary analog goals.       

Yes, currently have the JMW 9 signature arm.  If I went with the 10.5 (Classic 3), would I have to also refit with new base, or would this pivot correctly on current JMW 9 base?  I suspect not? 

audiobat

« Reply #21 on: 30 Jan 2012, 06:54 pm »
It's pretty simple in my mind. If you want to invest $2K you will have to stick with the same turntable and arm, so NEW CARTRIDGE!
Benz is going to give you the best bang at $2K, only get a new "S" model, they are way better sounding than the older models.

kgturner

« Reply #22 on: 30 Jan 2012, 07:02 pm »
My next and likely final upgrade is to the Classic 3 arm (JMW-10.5i). I already have almost every other accessory one can put on the Scoutmaster except for motor changes (rim drive/single flywheel). I'm not 100% sure how effective motor changes are when I'm already using the SDS.

Kevin T

Sonny

« Reply #23 on: 30 Jan 2012, 07:06 pm »
Sonny:  I would enjoy a greater sense of pace/timing, speed, punch.  Accurate stage placement.  Nice separation, clarity and authenticity in frequency spectrum, partic. in upper frequencies.  Reduce stridency. These are my primary analog goals.       

Yes, currently have the JMW 9 signature arm.  If I went with the 10.5 (Classic 3), would I have to also refit with new base, or would this pivot correctly on current JMW 9 base?  I suspect not?

Ok, so, I know others have advised against the SDS, but from what you are saying out want, better sense of pace/timing, speed, punch, etc..the SDS would do wonders, I believe, it did for me.  With the SDS, the image is more stable, pace and speed is consistent and well, there's no guess in terms of setting 33.33 or 45 rpm, unlike moving the belt up / down the flywheel.  Also, what's wrong with the current high frequency?  you say it's not authentic, what do you mean?  I can say that I've heard EARs phono's (modded and with great tubes) and I find, IMO (so EAR owners, don't kill me, it's just my opinion) that the highs are a bit rolled off and bass is a bit flabby...at least in the system I heard it.  Are you partial to tubes?  I would suggest a Pass XONO?  I like mine a lot and when compared to the tube phono's I've had, I like it much more!

If you want more high frequency extension, details, etc...perhaps try a pair of my i/c?   :D

When you get the 10.5i, I don't know if it will fit on the JMW base or not.  and the pivot point will need to be adjusted to elongate it to about 258mm in mounting distance. 

Hope this helps!
Tuan

PS. I went from a Rega P3 to a VPI Scout (w/ JMW 9 and Dynavector 10x4) to a VPI TNT 3.5 with JMW-10 arm and Shelter 501 to JMW10.5i arm with 901 and now a DIY Steel plinth and stainless steel armbase with a 10.5i arm, VPI Classic aluminum platter, SDS, and VPI Rim Drive, periphery ring clamp...and can't be more happy!

vortrex

« Reply #24 on: 30 Jan 2012, 08:41 pm »
check out the classifieds here, someone just posted a Herron phono pre for sale.  from what I was reading, before getting the K&K, this would also be an upgrade from the 834P.

orthobiz

« Reply #25 on: 31 Jan 2012, 09:42 pm »
Just cut a small square and gently drop the stylus onto it vertically. Don't rub or wipe it!

Thanks, I have a Zerodust, too. And Linn green paper.

Paul

beaglebump

« Reply #26 on: 1 Feb 2012, 03:54 pm »
Thanks Vortex.  The VTPH-2 has been on my research list for awhile now, though never had an opportunity to audition.  I might contact Keith, as he's just down-State here in MO, to discuss, might have an audition demo, etc. 

beaglebump

« Reply #27 on: 1 Feb 2012, 04:06 pm »
Sonny:  Connected w/ Mike at VPI to see what's involved.  He explained I'll need both the 10.5 base & armwand, as the pivot will obviously be off w/ the JMW 9 base.  If VPI still has their buy-up/trade-in program in place, this would be about 1k. 
True re: the EAR.  I like the smooth mids that the 834p enhances, but it does seem to roll off a bit on the upper frequencies.  Cym. kicks, et al, also seem to wash out a bit with poor definition/lack punch.  Bass too could be lean or just flabby.  Even with the Mullards (which have brought some clarity to the presentation), I'm still looking for greater clarity, bigger soundstage and source placement accuracy.  While I had the Dynavector XV-1s, I also tried a Dynavector PHA-200 step-up, which was essential with the EAR.  Nice, but still didn't do much for me - just brought more presence to the sound, but still rather washy.