Super-charged SongTowers in curly walnut

jsalk

Super-charged SongTowers in curly walnut
« on: 25 Jan 2012, 07:17 pm »
Diane had a pair of SongTowers, a pair of SongSurround II's and a SongSub primarily used for music listening.  Now it was time to take her listening to the next level.  She considered HT2-TL's, but preferred the size of the SongTowers.  We had just finished a custom pair of "Super-charged" SongTowers and I told her about them.  These seemed to be the perfect alternative.  So she ordered a pair in curly walnut to match her other speakers.

Here is a pic...

And a close-up...

Happy listening Diane!

- Jim

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
Re: Super-charged SongTowers in curly walnut
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2012, 08:46 pm »
Very Nice indeed !

:)

Saturn94

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2012, 09:02 pm »
Gorgeous! :thumb:

rlee8394

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2012, 09:44 pm »
Jim,

Are the dimensions the same as the Song Towers, or did Paul have to redesign the cabinet for the new drivers?

Thanks,
Ron

Paul K.

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2012, 09:59 pm »
If I remember correctly (and if I determine I didn't, I'll post a revision to this), I kept the same internal width and height but was able to reduce the depth while still achieving a lower F3. 8)
Paul

Jim,

Are the dimensions the same as the Song Towers, or did Paul have to redesign the cabinet for the new drivers?

Thanks,
Ron

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2012, 10:11 pm »
Paul -

You are correct.  The ST-SC cabinets are not as deep as the original SongTower cabinets.  The terminus was re-configured as well.

- Jim

Paul K.

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2012, 11:06 pm »
Yep, I did go back and check.  I reduced the internal depth by 2", tweaked the port's dimensions and location, and modified the stuffing density.  Ended up with a modeled anechoic F3 of ~34 Hz versus ~42 Hz for the STs.  Very pleased with the results.
Paul

Paul -

You are correct.  The ST-SC cabinets are not as deep as the original SongTower cabinets.  The terminus was re-configured as well.

- Jim

drgn95

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2012, 12:40 am »
So Jim or Paul could you explain how the SC-ST compares to the HT2-TL? I have ST's w/ow2's and have been leaning towards upgrading to HT2-TL's but if the SC-ST has a very similar sound I may be interested as space is something I'm taking into consideration, ( I'm keeping my ST's in the system ).   

vortrex

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2012, 12:57 am »
So Jim or Paul could you explain how the SC-ST compares to the HT2-TL? I have ST's w/ow2's and have been leaning towards upgrading to HT2-TL's but if the SC-ST has a very similar sound I may be interested as space is something I'm taking into consideration, ( I'm keeping my ST's in the system ).   

same boat here too, I would be interested in the same info and what sort of listening these are geared towards.

putz

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2012, 01:39 am »
Is Diane single?

Call me.

Nuance

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jan 2012, 02:17 pm »
^ Oh wow - LOL!  Now that's funny! :D

Congrats Diane, and welcome to the Salk family.  Those are great looking speakers!

Saturn94

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jan 2012, 06:56 pm »
Yep, I did go back and check.  I reduced the internal depth by 2", tweaked the port's dimensions and location, and modified the stuffing density.  Ended up with a modeled anechoic F3 of ~34 Hz versus ~42 Hz for the STs.  Very pleased with the results.
Paul

This size would probably have worked better in my space than the HT2-TL (I have the 3/4" MDF version which is 9" wide and 15" deep compared to the SC-ST 8" wide and 10" deep [the ST is spec'd at 12" deep, so would 10" be correct?) that I bought in Feb. 2011.

Would I be crazy considering replacing my HT2-TLs with the SC-ST?  I don't need the increased bass abilities of the HT2-TL since I always use a sub.

vortrex

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jan 2012, 07:11 pm »
does the full length baffle add another 3/4" or 1" to the depth though?

jsalk

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jan 2012, 09:23 pm »
does the full length baffle add another 3/4" or 1" to the depth though?

No, those measurements include the full front baffle.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jan 2012, 09:25 pm »
Would I be crazy considering replacing my HT2-TLs with the SC-ST?  I don't need the increased bass abilities of the HT2-TL since I always use a sub.

Kind of crazy.  Do your HT2-TL's have the LCY ribbon tweeter?  If so, perhaps it makes some sense.

- Jim

Saturn94

« Reply #15 on: 26 Jan 2012, 09:58 pm »
Kind of crazy.  Do your HT2-TL's have the LCY ribbon tweeter?  If so, perhaps it makes some sense.

- Jim

Mine have the RAAL tweeter.

Crazy as charged? :shake:

Nuance

« Reply #16 on: 27 Jan 2012, 03:04 pm »
Mine have the RAAL tweeter.

Crazy as charged? :shake:

I'll trade you my SongTower's for your HT2-TL's, and then your space issues will be solved. :thumb: :lol:

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 27 Jan 2012, 03:51 pm »
Beautiful speakers!!!

Saturn94

« Reply #18 on: 27 Jan 2012, 07:33 pm »
I'll trade you my SongTower's for your HT2-TL's, and then your space issues will be solved. :thumb: :lol:

I greatly appreciate you looking out for me. :wink:

I'll admit I can be a bit crazy and overthink things a bit (just ask Dennis :lol:), but not that crazy! :o :thumb:

Randy

« Reply #19 on: 4 Feb 2012, 06:52 am »
What might be the cost of these speakers over and above the normal STs?