Analog Assistance

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
Analog Assistance
« on: 25 Jan 2012, 03:39 am »
Hey Gassers, I'm looking for help troubleshooting some analog issues.

Can't get sound out of my setup.  Could be the cartridge, tonearm cable, or phono stage.  Would anyone be willing to lug over their phono stage, and/or a DIN - RCA cable, and/or possibly a spare cartridge?  Sunday perhaps, or Saturday late afternoon/evening?

KenSeger

• Heavy and noisy, but beautiful
    • Ken's Plain Jane Website
Re: Analog Assistance
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2012, 12:15 pm »
I couldn't find you on the GAS-MAP(tm) http://www.mapservices.org/myguestmap/map/BobinStLouis what area are you located in?

What are the symptoms? One channel dead or both?  If one, swap R&L input cables to check phono stage and if it is a stand alone phono stage, also swap R&L cable from phone stage to pre-amp, for starters.  If both are dead and your phono input is an RCA input, take a male to male RCA cable and starting at zero gain, slowly turn up the volume while tapping the center pin with your finger making sure you don't ground yourself to the equipment, Repeat on the other channel for test #2.

DIN cable?  Is this an old B&O turntable?  I can't think off hand who else uses DIN other than Telefunken or Braun.  What pieces of equipment are in the LP chain?

Ken

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2012, 02:09 pm »
He's in Webster(ish).

I'd love to help ya Bob, but my vinyl equipment is a bit limited (read; non-existent).

Bob

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2012, 02:31 pm »
I'm out of town for awhile, but somewhere in my junk I think I have a set of DIN/RCA cables from an old TT.

Blackmore

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2012, 02:43 pm »
Hey Bob,
I'm going to a conference but I could come over Saturday night after 6:30 pm.   I can bring a phono preamp, cart and some cables if you think that would work.  PM me if you still need some help and give me some directions to the house.

Mark

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2012, 05:51 pm »
Webster(ish) is good. . .I'm actually in Glendale.

Mark, thanks for the offer. . .that should work.  We're coming back from Chicago on Saturday but should be home in plenty of time.  I'll PM you. . .

Symptons are no sound from analog setup.  If I connect my DAC to the phono stage input, I get sound from one channel, and swapping the L&R output cables has the sound switching channels also.  Swapping input cables does not change the output channel.

There may be multiple issues going on here, but all equipment is new except the cartridge which is NOS.  SME arm, SAE 1000LT Cartridge, Sanders phono stage, Grover Huffmann cable.

KenSeger

• Heavy and noisy, but beautiful
    • Ken's Plain Jane Website
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2012, 08:36 pm »
If you like, I could bring over some old DIN to RCA cables that at least conduct signal to eliminate that area of concern.  Can you tell me which style of DIN you need?
Ken