Vintage DAC?

CrazyBlue

Vintage DAC?
« on: 22 Jan 2012, 06:58 pm »
Hi all,

I posted this in the cheap and cheerful forum, but didn't get much response.

I'm looking at vintage DAC's as a bang-for-the-buck solution until I can afford something really nice.  All I need is 16/44.1 playback and coaxial input, and want to try an old-school multibit converter.  I'm hoping to get something smooth and musical without sacrificing dynamics.  Low level detail is nice but I don't need the last word there.

I know most here concentrate on older stuff (like the Onkyo A-7070 Integrated I bought for my mom to drive her Realistic Nova 6's), but I consider components going on 20 years-old to be pretty vintage, and thought I'd try here.

Budget is <$500

Any suggestions?

orthobiz

Re: Vintage DAC?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2012, 07:45 pm »
Appropriate post but it sure does make me feel old! Sorry, I don't have any good suggestions...

Paul

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2012, 07:57 pm »
   There are some classics out there that offer really good sound. Sonic Frontiers Assemblge, EAD, Theta. The ART DIO is another. Have fun looking.

charles

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2012, 08:12 pm »
+1 on a modded art di/o.  tho not 20 yrs old, they are >10 yrs old.  but, good luck finding something better that you can afford.   :wink:

doug s.

steve k

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2012, 09:51 pm »
Museatex Bitstream or Bidat. They're still being modded by John Wright and are still competitive soundwise. Very analog sounding DACs.

steve

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2012, 02:47 am »
Museatex Bitstream or Bidat. They're still being modded by John Wright and are still competitive soundwise. Very analog sounding DACs.

steve
irony of ironies!   :green:  i have never heard the bitstream or bidat.  but these dacs, even when highly modded, were the wery ones that were being replaced by modded art di/o's in the early di/o modding frenzy.  and even today, the museatax dacs are quite spendy.  certainly won't find them for <$500.

doug s.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2012, 06:08 pm »
Rollo,
How do you the older SF DACs stack up against their more modern counterparts?
The fellow I bought a set of VTLs from said that he uses one with his Magnepan 3.6s with and never heard anything that he liked better.
I really like the sound of the Sonic Frontiers preamps so your input would be appreciated.