What kind of sand do I use to fill my VR3's

fz1jmp

What kind of sand do I use to fill my VR3's
« on: 18 Jan 2012, 10:34 pm »
Hello all;
I know I need to fill my VR-3's with sand, but alas have no manual. I picked up a 50lb bag of toy box sand. Does anyone have any idea if thats OK?

Thanks in advance.

Jack

rlw3

Re: What kind of sand do I use to fill my VR3's
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2012, 10:49 pm »
the problem as i understand it is dust. you do not want to use a sand which when moved produces dust in the air. i have been told that dust can kill the sound of the drivers if it gets inside the speakers assemblies. maybe use something like shotgun shot

steve f

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2012, 10:52 pm »
Don' use it. That stuff is way too wet and even if you dry it out first, it will accumulate moisture. Unless you live in Phoenix. Either use a fine silica sand like used in locomotives for traction, or buy bb's instead.

fz1jmp

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2012, 11:22 pm »
Interesting answers. Actually they make me kind of nervous. The speakers are meant to filled with sand. They have a separate compartment for it. I contacted the company, asking to purchase a manual, unfortunately I have not received an answer yet. The last owner did not fill them with sand, however the original owner did.

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2012, 11:40 pm »
Sand will not absorb moisture from the air. If it is dry when you put it in, it will stay dry. I found blasting sand at Home Depot. It was dry.

Please don't use lead.  :nono:  You will force me to write a dissertation and post it.

fz1jmp

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2012, 12:12 am »
Don_S; there shalt be no lead in my speakers! I've raised 8 kids and oh so know the badness of lead. Lead shot, sinkers, weights for pinewood derby cars, lead dust, etc.

Blasting sand? When I went to Home Depot, they only had industrial and toy box, neither were kiln dried and both seemed moist. I will let it sit for awhile then re-check.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2012, 12:41 am »
Hey Jack,

Better do not use sand.
I prefere leadshot instead.
There is a safe conditioned version available.
For extra safety we put a plasic bag in the compartiment, fill the bag with just a few (12-15) kg of leadshot and this will do.
Close the bag carefully and close the cap. Now the VR 3 will sound even tighter than before due to the efect of leadshot.
The tiny little soft balls are eleminating the vibrations you want to get rid of.

Sand seems only heavy but does not have the 'air transport' and elementation you need.

Enjoy,

Cor

Photon46

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2012, 01:05 am »
Jack, not sure where you live, but you might see if you have a store that sells industrial abrasives for sandblasting. I've bought blasting sand from places like that. If you can't find dry blasting sand, you can use builders sand if you dry it out thoroughly. On a sunny dry day, you could spread out some plastic sheeting on the driveway and then spread a thin layer of sand over that. It should dry out quickly if you keep the sand layer thin enough. Stir it up and move it around a few times during the drying cycle. As to the dust issue Steve mentioned, I would think the compartment for sand would be sealed off from the drivers? If not, dust would be a concern. Sand is inert and once dry, it will stay dry if the sand is pure and doesn't have organic material mixed into it. Steel shot is certainly a great, but much more expensive option (there's even a non-toxic shot that's denser than steel available if you want to spend around $20 a pound for it.)

BigSwede

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2012, 04:42 pm »
Exposure to lead is hazardous to be sure, but sealed in a cavity in your speakers it won't be a hazard to anybody.

I work in the environmental field and do lead testing all the time. I bought copper plated lead shot to minimize lead dust, and made sure to wash up well after installing it in the speakers.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2012, 06:50 pm »
Just a matter of time before the EPA finds some reason to regulate exposure to Cu  :duh:

Indiansprings

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2012, 09:44 pm »
I filled my VR2 with bird shot. Dont put sand in your nice speakers.  :thumb:

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2012, 11:04 pm »
Exposure to lead is hazardous to be sure, but sealed in a cavity in your speakers it won't be a hazard to anybody.

I work in the environmental field and do lead testing all the time. I bought copper plated lead shot to minimize lead dust, and made sure to wash up well after installing it in the speakers.
I know little bit about lead. You have to eat or inhale fumes for it to hurt you. Cold lead shot can't hurt you unless you put it or your hands in your mouth. Wash your hands well after contact.

Doc

jackpollard

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2012, 11:07 pm »
Interesting discussion, I'm honestly lost on what to put in. The original owner did have sand in it, I can tell from the remnants. I think I will use what the manual or VS says. The kind of bummer thing is; I've called VS 2x, emailed them 2x and no response. I'm actually very surprised, I thought customer service was a notable thing from them? I've seen Albert comment here and the person I bought the speakers from said he actually contacted him! Heck, I'm not asking for th owner of the company to call me, just someone from customer service. I asked if I can buy a manual and what type of sand can I put in. The lady took my information, and said someone would get back to me. 

rlw3

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2012, 11:49 pm »
CeeDee what do you mean by air trasport and elementation???

fz1jmp

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jan 2012, 03:09 pm »
I know I always like to hear, or read, what is the outcome of questions people ask and a lot of times your left guessing, but not with me!  :D

I bought a 50lb bag of cleaned, play sand from Home Depot. I made sure it was dry and it was dry as a bone. I carefully filled both sides with the same amount. Now, when I shined my flashlight in the fill cavity, I saw leftover sand, and it was pretty much the same as I bought.

I'm still somewhat disturbed I have not heard back from VS, but I will always give a company with an excellent track record the benefit of the doubt.

Also, the sound, filled with the sand just keeps getting better and better.

Thanks for the responses!!

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #15 on: 22 Jan 2012, 10:40 am »
CeeDee what do you mean by air trasport and elementation???

Hi rlw3,

Leadshot has more space inbetween the tiny little balls to let throug the air, the transport of sound.
"false vibrations" are eliminated easier now. Lead shot is soft and are a good eliminator of resonances.

Cor