Dac direct to custom in-ear monitors?

kwl

Dac direct to custom in-ear monitors?
« on: 18 Jan 2012, 08:52 pm »
I'm downsizing and new to headphones/earphones.  I want to create a high quality compact/portable system that approximates my current home system (SB Touch - 2009 TADAC - Moscode 401HR - Escalante Fremonts).  My idea is laptop (JRiver/Fidelizer) - JKDAC32 (http://sites.google.com/site/hifacemods/home/jkdac32) - volume control - Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors (UERM).  The DAC puts out 2V RMS; do I still need an amp to drive the UERMs?  If not, what are you using as a volume control?  I would prefer to make at least coarse volume adjustments in the analog domain post-dac (to avoid losing bits).  Thanks!  Ken

saisunil

Re: Dac direct to custom in-ear monitors?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2012, 09:21 pm »
You do need a separate amp cause the amp section in an iphone probably costs less than $1
You are looking for quality amp that can drive "high" sensitive IEMs without noise and with appropriate amplification ...

There are plenty of good choices for a portable amp for IEMs

Give Ray a call ...
http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/

ALO has come interesting offerings as well ...
http://aloaudio.com/alo-audio-amplifiers/rx-mk3-b/

These are the top two that I would turn two with UERMs

PS: Can you pass me that coupon please  :duh: :thumb:

kwl

« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2012, 04:44 pm »
I have been using an HRT Headstreamer for semi-portable (laptop) use.  Others suggest that it is similar to the new Dragonfly.  The Headstreamer does a decent job on its own, but due to the sensitivity of the UERMs, volume range is limited to the first 5-6 ticks (of 100) on the scale.  Given its low price, the Headstreamer does a great job.  I'm still looking into a home system; a MF M1-HPA with an Arcam rDac sounded very nice.

I purchased the UERMs through a Logitech Christmas promotion the UE honored (Logitech owns UE).  UE gives big discounts at shows.

santacore

« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2012, 06:27 pm »
I would highly recommend a HiFiMan HM-801. It's a really great sounding amp and DAC in 1 portable unit. Beyond the great sound, it also plays 24 bit files which is a huge bonus. It's the first portable that satisfied me enough that I didn't miss my main rig.

saisunil

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2012, 08:26 pm »
I would highly recommend a HiFiMan HM-801. It's a really great sounding amp and DAC in 1 portable unit. Beyond the great sound, it also plays 24 bit files which is a huge bonus. It's the first portable that satisfied me enough that I didn't miss my main rig.

I have one on sale ...  I have two of them  :duh:

kwl

« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2012, 04:16 pm »
Thanks, Guys!  I'll look into the HiFiMan.  The problem (for me) with most DAPs is the limited storage.  I have ~100 GB in flac.  I thought about modding an Ipod Classic with a large hard drive and get something like the Fostex HP-P1, but in the end, I don't do that much listening on the go.  At the moment, I leaning towards a JKDAC32 with the MF M1-HPA for a home rig.

saisunil

« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 2012, 08:09 pm »
All you need is 3 32 gig card - I have at left one in hifiman 801