Age of Magnepan panels

goingsolo

Age of Magnepan panels
« on: 18 Jan 2012, 12:30 pm »
I am thinking about trying a used pair of either MMG or MG1.6.  How can I tell the production date of the panels.

Thanks.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Age of Magnepan panels
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2012, 11:58 pm »
Give Magnepan the serial number.
I'm sure that they'd be happy to help you.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2012, 12:02 am »
I am thinking about trying a used pair of either MMG or MG1.6.  How can I tell the production date of the panels.

Thanks.

Where are you?  I may have my 1.6s up for sale soon!   I'm six months from paying off a long-ago divorce and it'll be time to reward myself. :thumb:  :hyper:

*Scotty*

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2012, 12:05 am »
Also you need to know if the backside of the panel has ever been in front of a window at some point in the life of the speaker. UV radiation from exposure to sunlight on the backside of the panel is very bad news! 
 The good news is, it still may be cheaper to purchase a used Magneplaner loudspeaker and have it rebuilt by Magnepan. If you do this you basically have a brand new loudspeaker.
Scotty

goingsolo

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2012, 12:42 am »
Thanks for all your input.
If I decided to try a pair, it would most likely be the MMG since I don't have a dedicated room.
I would have to leave the speakers against the wall and pull them out only when listening.
Thunderbrick, since you have a pair of 1.6, how feasible is my idea of moving a pair of 1.6 at least once a day?

cujobob

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2012, 01:06 am »
They look pretty large but probably light...couldn't you put them on some sort of rollers or something?

*Scotty*

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2012, 02:11 am »
goingsolo, moving them once a day is a cake walk. Simply mark the floor or carpet where they sound the best so that you can duplicate the positioning. Magnepan recommends tying a piece of thread into the carpet at the corners of the loudspeakers to mark the speakers location for listening. A small piece tape on the floor will also work.
Scotty

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2012, 02:14 am »
http://herbiesaudiolab.net/spkrfeet.htm#littlegl

http://www.myesound.com/Gallery.html

That will help.
Be careful if you move them around a lot, though.
You DON'T want to crack the MDF down by the stock feet from dragging them around too much.  I had to glue and screw one of mine back together (the previous owner cracked the sucker and kind of glossed over the "problem with one foot" during the sale).
I stuck my 3.7s on large shelving from Home Depot with felt on the bottom so I can move them around on a hardwood floor.
Each 1.6 is around 50 pounds so they're not to bad to lift up and reposition.
Go for the 1.6s if you can.

berni

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2012, 04:07 pm »
Also you need to know if the backside of the panel has ever been in front of a window at some point in the life of the speaker. UV radiation from exposure to sunlight on the backside of the panel is very bad news!    The good news is, it still may be cheaper to purchase a used Magneplaner loudspeaker and have it rebuilt by Magnepan. If you do this you basically have a brand new loudspeaker.
Scotty
How important is this with 20.1, where we have
 a pole piece with very tinny holes on both sides?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2012, 04:23 pm »
Thanks for all your input.
If I decided to try a pair, it would most likely be the MMG since I don't have a dedicated room.
I would have to leave the speakers against the wall and pull them out only when listening.
Thunderbrick, since you have a pair of 1.6, how feasible is my idea of moving a pair of 1.6 at least once a day?

Piece of cake!  Easy to lift, easier to slide, and that's with me having bad shoulders.
Mine are in a big photo studio/man cave.  When we shoot big jobs I just scoot 'em out of the way.  With the new speakers coming out the 1.6s are going for not much money.

MUCH better than the MMGs.  Confession:  I've never heard the MMGs, :lol: but the 1.6s are the way to go.

*Scotty*

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2012, 06:17 pm »
I wouldn't worry much about a 20.1 for that very reason, the mylar film is in the shade most of the time. The 20.1 is a different animal due to the design of it magnet structure, the magnets on both sides of the driven element act to keep the magnetic flux constant. The even magnetic field strength on both sides of diaphragm lowers the 2nd harmonic distortion produced by the speaker a lot,result, clearer more transparent reproduction of music.
Scotty

berni

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2012, 06:49 am »
I was also thinking about the "shade"  :D..thanks.

medium jim

« Reply #12 on: 7 Mar 2012, 01:49 am »
In an earlier post the OP noted that he planned on moving his 1.6's when buys a pair on a daily basis.  Be sure to mark the exact spots where they will be in in the listening position as all it takes is an inch or two off and the sweet spot will be lost.

Jim