Anybody here heard the Millett Mini Max amp?

dB Cooper

Anybody here heard the Millett Mini Max amp?
« on: 17 Jan 2012, 11:17 pm »
Thinking about building the $230 kit from Beezar but just wondering if there were any users here. For those not familiar, it is a hybrid amp, loosely based on a simpler design (published in Glass Audio IIRC), that uses special low voltage tubes originally developed for automotive applications. Hoping somebody could give me a general idea about the SQ. The Bottlehead may be another contender at about the same price.

Berndt

Re: Anybody here heard the Millett Mini Max amp?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2012, 11:58 pm »
I like Petes work.
Should be a solid performer.

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2012, 12:13 am »
I had the Millet Hybrid Max (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=90383.0) and liked it very much.

I paired it with modded Grado's with much success.  What headphones do you use?

I sold it off eventually, as I moved to a simpler desktop setup.

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2012, 04:12 am »
mcgsxr, I will be using it (for the time being, anyway) with Sennheiser 555s, which I like but believe would benefit from a little tube warmth. Also somewhat considering the somewhat more expensive all tube Torpedo kit, also from Beezar.

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2012, 04:16 am »
I like Petes work.
Should be a solid performer.
As I understand it, this amp is not designed by Millett himself but is based on his design with his approval. Seems like a pretty sharp looking little unit at a reasonable price that will help me scratch my kit-building itch.

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2012, 04:07 pm »
I have never heard the version you are considering, but in my experience the Millett was great.  I found it added realism and dimensionality to the music moreso than warmth, but perhaps my ears differ.

I do know that folks with little interest in gear heard the combo, and were shocked at how it sounded better than straight out of my iPod Touch.

In my experience the Senns you reference are a little clinical for me.  The stock Alessandro MS-1's were almost perfect for me, but I wanted to play around with the mods I was seeing over on Head Fi for the Grado's.  I sold the Alessandro's and kept the modded Grado's, so I liked where it went for sure.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here, but a search or post over on Head Fi will likely be beneficial too - lots of builders over there for kids like yours.

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2012, 01:26 am »
I kind of agree about these particular Senns- 'clinical' is a good way to put it- they are clean and fairly neutral but a little 'dry' sounding. I am hoping that tube amplification will help somewhat with that. Although I have been a longtime Sennheiser fanboy, I may try some AKGs next time out. It is certainly easier to headphone-roll than speaker-roll!

ptmconsulting

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2012, 09:51 pm »
I built this kit for my Senn HD600's. There are several options for the chip and the tubes depending on the kind of sound you want and the phones you are using (you need the higher power tubes for Senn's).

It is very small overall but has a great sound. Not overly tubey and not clinically solid state. Just musical with plenty of power (my volume never goes over 10:00). A nice little head amp for very little money and very easy to build if you follow the instructions, which were written very well.

Lots of info over at www.head-room.com

Good luck

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2012, 02:17 am »
Thanks ptmconsulting.
My 555s are 32 ohm, not 300 ohm like the 600s, but the kit comes with tubes with two different gains, so I expect I will have little trouble "dialing it in."