Cornet2: step-up transformer section

TigerScent

Cornet2: step-up transformer section
« on: 17 Jan 2012, 01:59 am »
I would like to incorporate a step-up transformer section into the Cornet2 box, that is simple and effective, relating to the quality sound of the C2, so that I can have a MC option in addition to MM...

...has anyone done this? or have any ideas?

galyons

Re: Cornet2: step-up transformer section
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2012, 02:45 am »
I would suggest using a Piccolo. IMO better music reproduction, exponentially more flexibility with none of the matching issues.

Cheers,
Geary

poty

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2012, 02:12 pm »
Several persons add SUT to to Cornet with success. Just serch in the forum with the words "MC" "Cornet" "SUT".
For me - the Piccolo is more elegant solution. It's a pity the DIY version of the Piccolo has been gone...

ptmconsulting

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2012, 02:47 pm »
I agree with the Piccolo suggestion. This is one nice step up device and it is inexpensive. Very transparent and as good as any transformer step up I've heard, plus it has the loading and gain options right on top without any need for nasty resoldering inside the unit.

TigerScent

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2012, 11:51 am »
Several persons add SUT to to Cornet with success. Just serch in the forum with the words "MC" "Cornet" "SUT".
For me - the Piccolo is more elegant solution. It's a pity the DIY version of the Piccolo has been gone...

Im building this unit to a price, and the SUT solution seems to be the best idea overall, in particular as a simple 'built-in' additional part that makes one homogenous whole, with a MC-MM switch. Im wondering what transformers to use now, ie: Cinemag, Beyer, Jensen etc ???

TigerScent

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2012, 11:53 am »
I agree with the Piccolo suggestion. This is one nice step up device and it is inexpensive. Very transparent and as good as any transformer step up I've heard, plus it has the loading and gain options right on top without any need for nasty resoldering inside the unit.

Im sure its more versatile and allows for finer adjustment, however, it is exceeding my price point, and really I did want to have every element in the one module etc...