The best way to clean an UltraValve chassis

bregez

The best way to clean an UltraValve chassis
« on: 17 Jan 2012, 01:43 am »
Just wondering what the best way is to clean that beautiful Ultravalve polished stainless steel chassis. 
I don't want to expose it to any harsh chemical that will cause discoloration.

Brad

srb

Re: The best way to clean an UltraValve chassis
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2012, 02:51 am »
It's stainless steel, one of the most un-reactive and non-staining metals!  But if you want to treat it with the utmost in care, I always use a pair microfiber cloths, a wet to clean followed immediately by a dry one to polish and prevent any water spotting.

If the dirt requires more than plain water, the wet one gets wetted with mild dish soap water, and if it is really an oily mess (?) a few drops of De-Solv-it orange solvent comes to the rescue.

I use these cloths on all equipment, whether painted steel, anodized aluminum, wood or plastic.

Steve
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2012, 08:32 pm by srb »

rcag_ils

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2012, 03:20 am »
I don't see how any audio eq will get more than just dust by just sitting there........

srb

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2012, 04:13 am »
1. You touch it with your fingers (finger oils and fingerprints)
2. You touch it with your fingers after eating chocolate
3. Your 4 year old nephew throws up on it
4. Your cat licks it
5. You have a smoker in the house (bad news for more than just the equipment)

But I use the microfiber wet/dry for routine dusting as well because it leaves less fine swirl mark scratching than dry dusting.

Steve

rcag_ils

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2012, 04:54 pm »
1. limit to just turn the unit on or off, instead of running your fingers over it or fondling it.
2. wash your hands after eating chocolate.
3. put barbwire around your system to prevent small children getting close to it.
4. get rid of the cat, or don't get one to begin with.
5. convince the smoker to quit smoking, or kick him/her out of the house.

wet a cleaning cloth with water, and wipe the dust off the amp once a month, and let it air dry.

srb

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2012, 05:03 pm »
1. Hard to do with gorgeous equipment!
2. Always a good idea.
3. Not practical.
4. I like cats, so I don't have a problem wiping away occasional lick marks.
5. I couldn't agree more.

wet a cleaning cloth with water, and wipe the dust off the amp once a month, and let it air dry.

The frequency depends where you live.  Here in the dusty low-humidity Southwest, it's once a week.  At least.

Steve

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2012, 06:55 pm »

4. I like cats, so I don't have a problem wiping away occasional lick marks.

Please, please, please :bowdown: post of photo of your cat licking your stereo equipment!

srb

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2012, 07:12 pm »
Please, please, please :bowdown: post of photo of your cat licking your stereo equipment!

I will try.

I have two Siamese cats (sisters), and one of them keeps her tounge to herself, her sister or me, but the other one has had her tongue on nearly every non-food item in the house.  I once caught her licking my cell phone.  Her favorite fetish is licking the occassional (honest, I use cloth bags 98% of the time) plastic grocery bag (the noise it makes is an additional part of the fascination).

The challenge will be catching her in the act, getting the camera and taking a photo before she moves on.

Actually she does a pretty good cleaning job with that thing.  Maybe that is the best way to clean an Ultravalve chassis.

Steve

rcag_ils

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2012, 07:41 pm »
Years ago, I had a cat that liked to spray around the house, needless to say, he was put in a different home.

bregez

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2012, 08:04 pm »
Thanks Steve, I will give your method a try.
The reason I asked is because I plan on building an Ultimate 70 in the near future using a chassis from the same vender that AVA uses.  I have built a couple Mark III blocks using the same type chassis and the fingerprints from the build can be difficult to get off.   

srb

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2012, 08:31 pm »
Years ago, I had a cat that liked to spray around the house, needless to say, he was put in a different home.

That's why I like females, they don't mark their territory and generally stay sweethearts as they get older.

..... and the fingerprints from the build can be difficult to get off.

The first two, water damp and dish soap damp address most of it (microfiber is a key component of the system), but for really stubborn stuff I really like De-Solv-it.  A little harder to find, as most grocery stores and such seem to carry Goo-Gone, but I find the De-Solv-it to be superior and am more than willing to pay more for it at Ace Hardware or Walmart.  Also great for stubborn adhesive labels and road tar.

Steve

Brett Buck

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jan 2012, 10:30 pm »

I think that situation calls for an amp with exposed B+ voltages.

Brett

rcag_ils

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jan 2012, 10:52 pm »
I took him to the humane society, and his next owner had his nuts cut off.

Mary

• Industry Participant
  • AVA Associate
« Reply #13 on: 20 Jan 2012, 04:49 pm »
The best way to clean and shine an UltraValve is to use 1 part vinegar to 20 parts water, dip dry microfiber cloth in solution, and immediately dry it with another dry microfiber cloth.  Hope this helps.

PSB Guy

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jan 2012, 03:32 pm »
The best way to clean and shine an UltraValve is to use 1 part vinegar to 20 parts water, dip dry microfiber cloth in solution, and immediately dry it with another dry microfiber cloth.  Hope this helps.
If this is from Mary at AVA, this is the advice I would take...

Cornelis

avahifi

« Reply #15 on: 21 Jan 2012, 03:50 pm »
Yes indeed, this cleaning advice comes from avahifimary@comcast.net, my personal assistant.  In almost all cases, she knows more about the subject than I do.  Believe her!

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

dB Cooper

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jan 2012, 08:21 pm »
I assume it would be preferable for the amp to be powered off at the time...  :roll:

avahifi

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jan 2012, 08:25 pm »
I think you should ask Mary about that.

Frank

Wayner

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jan 2012, 08:58 pm »
I don't have to ask Mary about that! Amp off! Perhaps even amp unplugged. When we bring water to an electrical device, even for cleaning, let's unplug it, please. And we are talking about a damp cloth with Mary's concoction, not ringing wet. I'd probably even remove the tubes. Place tubes on a mat in order, so that they can be replaced in the same location.

If  you hit the bias pots and they move, you will have to re-bias them.

Wayner

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #19 on: 21 Jan 2012, 09:08 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Mary.  :thumb: