Solid State always on?

rcag_ils

Solid State always on?
« on: 16 Jan 2012, 06:40 pm »
My solid state active crossover does not have an on/off power switch, once plugged in, it's on. Does it mean that when turning it on and off with the power strip switch is bad for it?

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
Re: Solid State always on?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2012, 04:20 am »
I do not think it's bad for it, but it will not sound its best unless it's fully warmed up. To me solid state always sounds better after it has been on for a while.

Crimson

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2012, 08:27 am »
It's not bad for it. Especially if it doesn't have power switch. Just leave it plugged in.

rcag_ils

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2012, 03:57 pm »
If I leave the solid state eq. on all the time, voltage and current will be constant going through it year after year, eventually it will fail. But it seems like what it's designed for because they didn't put in a on/off switch.

Or using the power strip on/off switch as a power switch, then every time I turn it on, there's inrush current going through it, year after year, the inrush current can't be good for it.

So I have to choose between the two, because the company is no longer support this crossover if it ever fails due to no more parts available.
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2012, 05:03 am by rcag_ils »

ptmconsulting

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2012, 04:18 pm »
It probably draws very little power in idle. You can leave it on all the time and just power everything off when going on vacation or a trip for a week or more (safety first).

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2012, 02:41 am »
If I leave the solid state eq. on all the time, voltage and current will be constant going through it year after year, eventually it will fail.

It could fail tomorrow either way. That's not something I concern myself with as I'll probably sell whatever it is anyway. A hazard of the hobby. :icon_twisted:

Æ

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2012, 03:06 am »
If I leave the solid state eq. on all the time, voltage and current will be constant going through it year after year, eventually it will fail. But it seems like what it's designed for because they didn't put in a on/off switch.

Or using the power strip on/off switch as a power switch, then every time I turn it on, there's inrush current going through it, year after year, the inrush current can't be good for it.

So I have to choose between the two, because the company is no longer support this crossover if it ever fails due to no more parts available.

Typically, the parts that fail are common parts readily available. Caps are usually the first to go. I'd say leave it on all the time, unless it really gets hot. If it feels barely warm, then don't worry about it. Do you have schematics for the unit?

rcag_ils

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2012, 02:05 pm »
Typically, the parts that fail are common parts readily available. Caps are usually the first to go. I'd say leave it on all the time, unless it really gets hot. If it feels barely warm, then don't worry about it. Do you have schematics for the unit?

It is the SX-1 active crossover made by Conrad Johnson, CJ may have the service schematic, but last I called them, they said they don't support this anymore.

Caps are easy to replace, I am worry about some of those obsolete Fet transistors or ICs that they used are hard to find. I had some other older eq, even with schematice, parts just no longer available after all these years.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2012, 08:31 pm »
One problem with leaving equipment all the time (aside for energy waste) is what happens when the equipment fails.

If it fails while you are listening to it, you will notice it and turn it off right away.

If however, if it fails in the middle of the night it will cook away for hours, likely causing more collateral damage and a far more expensive repair than if you caught it immediately.

Of course nobody listens to me, just an old fuddy duddy engineer.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

rcag_ils

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2012, 05:21 am »
Thank you Frank for chiming in.....I always repect your opinion on electronics.

I've been using the power strip on/off switch to turn my  active crossover on or off. If I don't wait long enough to drain my Ultra amp and Delta 120 amp after turning them off, when I flip that power strip on/off switch, I get this loud transcient noise "POP" coming through the crossover, then out of the speakers. When that happens, it makes me nervous. I've thought that transcient noise can't be good for the crossover's electronics over time.

But after hearing your theory, I think I'll keep doing what I've been doing, just have to wait longer for the amps to drain after the turn-off.

mnilan

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2012, 06:30 pm »
Although this reiterates some positions already voiced, the source is different.

I asked B & K tech support about leaving my amps powered up all the time and they replied that not only would it not hurt the amps but they recommended leaving the power on. 

When I had my Sansui 9090DB receiver serviced recently (Hawthorne Stereo in Seattle - they did a great job), when I picked it up, the owner told me to leave the receiver on.  I thought he was talking about a break-in or burn-in period so I asked him "how long?"  He replied "forever" and then went on to explain that low-level stand by power was actually good for the circuits and quite inexpensive.  He summed his advice up as "leave the power on and the 9090 will last forever." 

Æ

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2012, 07:38 pm »
It is the SX-1 active crossover made by Conrad Johnson, CJ may have the service schematic, but last I called them, they said they don't support this anymore.

Caps are easy to replace, I am worry about some of those obsolete Fet transistors or ICs that they used are hard to find. I had some other older eq, even with schematice, parts just no longer available after all these years.

ICs will probably last forever as long as you don't abuse them. They are however static electricity sensitive, so avoid walking across your carpet and touching your electronics! I would also suggest that you use some kind of surge protection, a surge protected power strip.
Transistors can fail at just about any time, usually only when operated near or outside their SOA, but I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe though, you could start searching for replacements now.

Delta Wave

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jan 2012, 08:36 pm »
One problem with leaving equipment all the time (aside for energy waste) is what happens when the equipment fails.

If it fails while you are listening to it, you will notice it and turn it off right away.

If however, if it fails in the middle of the night it will cook away for hours, likely causing more collateral damage and a far more expensive repair than if you caught it immediately.

Of course nobody listens to me, just an old fuddy duddy engineer.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

I've had that happen to me, I had this wonderful old behemoth of a Magnavox receiver where a cap went out. It was an hour or so before I caught it. It burned a hole through the main board and cooked nearly every trace in a 6" radius, not to mention the horrible sound coming out of my speakers. At the time (nearly 20 years ago) I was in no position to even think about getting it repaired, it went to the dump.  That receiver sounded superb and I wish I still had it.