Linkwitz's Orions

WerTicus

Linkwitz's Orions
« on: 6 May 2004, 10:27 am »
I have been lucky enough to hear the Orion loud speakers over the weekend and I have spent the last week gathering my thoughts about them.

Steve was very kind to let me come and listen to his setup; you can find all the details about his setup at the website below.  But the basics are: Denon DVD 5900 (called A11 here) + 2x aska100 amps + 2x amps of Steve’s own design.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~wallaroo/

The first impression I got from these speakers upon walking into the room was that they were very nicely finished, Steve had obviously put a lot of effort into their creation and not only was their construction sound and paint job perfect but they were coloured to match his room so they fitted in perfectly.  Naturally the Sea’s drivers that power the Orion have that awesome look, with the magnesium and brass finish.

Certainly the room would be an excellent home theater setup, with a very sexy projector overhead, my girlfriend later remarked that we needed one of those!  I do, however, think that over all the room was less than ideal for audio.  Most of the walls were bare, and the doors were glass paneled not to mention a large window with little in the way of covering.    There certainly would have been reflections all over the place reducing the clarity of the sound and the ability of the speakers to image.

Steve also does not believe in ‘minor’ tweeks such as inking the edges of CD’s and even using the pure direct option on his 5900 (a11)  Which I find makes all the difference at this end of the scale.

Having said that the speakers were very clear and imaged reasonably well, for the room they did very well indeed, I can only imagine what they might sound like in an ideal environment.  They were certainly a level above my system but I was not totally blown away by the performance.  For example it was possible to tell the way a piano was facing on a well recorded disk, but that required intense concentration to figure out rather than being obvious.  I blame the room though.

It has been said that the Orion’s major flaw is their inability to play loud enough.  Steve confirmed this… In his small room the woofers would bottom out at just over 103db in room volume.  Which is a fairly decent listening level but it’s not really ‘enough’ for that slam to the drums I feel is important.  It has also been said that they have the most accurate bass with the dipole XLS woofers; I didn’t feel that this was the case.  The bass was certainly very nice, and yet again it’s certainly the room causing problems but I think there was a 60hz (educated guess) or so peak causing problems.  Also the frequency response isn’t ‘quite’ full range.  (-6db at 20 Hz.)  I personally am used to a more extended lower end… And I certainly noticed that there was a little something missing from kick of drums.

I could in no way fault the mid range.  The sea’s magnesium driver is obviously wonderful.

The sea’s excel tweeter is fairly good over all.  Never sounding harsh or strained, it always played clearly and well.  Though I did notice cymbals, although being clearer had less air than I’m used to surrounding them.  This would be explained by the 20 kHz upper limit on these drivers.  I am a believer in perception of greater than 20 kHz frequencies, now that I have extensively heard super tweeters.

Overall the Orion’s are awesome, but I feel they can do much better given the chance and unfortunately Steve was still getting around to completing his system.

As for being the best speakers I have ever heard, as a lot of people have said about them…. Nope.  

Definitely more impressed by the WAR Reference Ones which also were not in the most ideal room but had better hardware driving them.  At the same price its difficult to decide because i dont feel the Orions were given a proper chance... *sigh*

Carlman

Linkwitz's Orions
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2004, 11:15 am »
Werticus... My only experience hearing these speakers was similar to yours... they had just been completed, no room treatments, etc... The guy was using dual subs for bass and they hadn't been integrated/tuned either.  

I didn't think they were much to behold but again... setup was less than ideal.

-C

TheChairGuy

Linkwitz's Orions
« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2004, 05:30 pm »
You know, I think I gotta' get off my fat, stupid lazy ass and hear these things at Linkwitz's house in their proper environment.  He's only a 15 minute ride from me - easy as heck to get to.

If I do soon, I'll let you know.  I think I've read that the few that have heard them in a properly set up environment have come away much impressed.

PS - I am allowed to have a fat, stupid and lazy ass...I'm a professional; it's called 'R & D'.  Please don't try it at home without proper supervision.

:)

Sa-dono

Linkwitz's Orions
« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2004, 01:59 am »
Quote from: TheChairGuy
You know, I think I gotta' get off my fat, stupid lazy ass and hear these things at Linkwitz's house in their proper environment.  He's only a 15 minute ride from me - easy as heck to get to.

We should try and hold a get together there. Would be fun :D

jgubman

Linkwitz's Orions
« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2004, 02:04 am »
I'd be up for that too!

TheChairGuy

Linkwitz's Orions
« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2004, 02:29 am »
Guys,

That would be great.  Assuming Sigfried has the room, I think he'd probably rather one time listening session for several, then one at a time in and out of his house.

He's in Corte Madera, Marin County...right off the 101, maybe 12 minutes without significant traffic from the edge of the Golden Gate Bridge.

I think I may just email him...been meaning to for awhile.  Fat, stupid, lazy ass I am   :lol:

MikeCTM2

Linkwitz's Orions
« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2004, 05:43 am »
i would definately go.    hopefully it would be sometime this summer   8)

WerTicus

Linkwitz's Orions
« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2004, 06:56 am »
haha ... well have fun guys :)

and dont forget to post your impressions!

TheChairGuy

Linkwitz's Orions
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2004, 03:53 pm »
Hey guys,

I emailed Siegfried and this was his response....

It certainly would be possible to audition the Orion at my house. If the group is larger than 7, then it gets inconvenient and also changes the acoustics too much, in many ways. I will be traveling and so a meeting would have to be after June 6. For a group you probably want a weekend. In that case June 12, 19 and 26 are already committed to other things. In general, work days after 10 am are best for me with one or two people.

I also asked him if he'd like to participate in this discussion and he politely declined.  I think he's fairly confident that what Werticus heard (or didn't hear) was based upon something incorrect.  Anyhow, I think the man has enough patents and acclaim to know what he likes....and he loves his Orion's.  Let's see if we all will / do, too.

I travel a lot and have a newborn so I think for me, it's easiest to just go see him some weekday for an hour or so after June 6 solo.  He's super easy to find for me and he's on the way to my fave supermarket.  

I can hear it now...... Honey, I got the milk, eggs, cheese, juice, jam, cereal, diapers and, oh, I don't know how those huge speakers got in there.  :lol:

For the group of you, just email Siegfried.  You can find it at www.LinkwitzLab.com.

WerTicus

Linkwitz's Orions
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2004, 02:36 am »
yeah i am pretty sure something wasnt ideal or correct and i can tell you its probably because the signal was being put through a volume control of dubious quality.

Ravi

Linkwitz's Orions
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2004, 07:49 am »
Werticus, the room is responsible for 50% of the sound with dipoles, so it can make or break the sound.  I think that has more to do with it than the upstream components.  Some attention to first reflections, and giving them lots of room behind and to the side, will upon up the sound vastly.

Chairguy,  man, if I was you, I would've listenend to the Orions several times already  :wink:   You have a chance to listen to one of the best speakers designs regardless of cost, in an optimal room setup.  It doesn't get any better!

Cheers!